Aire & Calder Breach

Joe Bourke

Featured Posts

Just now, Alway Swilby said:

What is the level like in Goole? We are moored at Viking Marina but are 50 miles away and no car.

I would say we are down at least a foot at the moment.  We have had issues with boats drifting under jetties in the past and when the levels come back up they're fast.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/target-area/123FWB150

River Aire, Don and Dutch River at East Cowick and Lidgate

Flooding is expected - immediate action required

Following a significant breach of the left bank of the Aire and Calder Navigation near the River Don at New Bridge, flooding of properties and roads is expected. Areas most at risk are East Cowick. We understand that flood waters are already impacting the area and we expect some property flooding in areas closest to the drains. We are closely monitoring the situation. Our incident response staff are liaising with the Local Authorities and the Canals and Rivers Trust in order to manage the situation. Please plan driving routes to avoid low lying roads near rivers and the canal, which may be flooded and avoid using low lying footpaths near local watercourses. This message will be updated as the situation changes.

3 minutes ago, Joe Bourke said:

I bow to your sisters knowledge

Lol, she could be wrong? as you know its more or less all connected up there. The aire is tidal past her house and at the last floods it was unreal the scene from her garden!! Many destroyed properties. Wether its canal or river section theres some serious water going to cause trouble.

36 minutes ago, Joe Bourke said:

Emergency gates outside Goole.

There is a HUGE body of water between there and the next barriers which will be the bottom gates of Pollington Lock(A&C) and the bottom gates of Sykehouse lock (NJC) by my reckoning.

I can't recall any way of sealing off before then.???

6 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

There is a HUGE body of water between there and the next barriers which will be the bottom gates of Pollington Lock(A&C) and the bottom gates of Sykehouse lock (NJC) by my reckoning.

I can't recall any way of sealing off before then.???

That's the area covered by the stoppage notice.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/18926-pollington-lock-and-goole-caisson

1 minute ago, Joe Bourke said:

Yes they can shut off the aqueduct.

Cheers. I honestly couldn't remember. I know they could at the Don end, to stop the Don flooding the NJC but wasn't sure about the Went end.

50 minutes ago, Midnight said:

When will Mr Parry & Co realise the cost of this kind of devastation is more than the cost of keeping in-house experienced bank staff who can spot potential problems before they become major and very expensive problems. 

I think he does realise,but is constrained by the bean counters.

When I worked in schools and public buildings the cleaning staff were on "spot cleaning".

This was simply looking into a room,and only cleaning it if it looked necessary.If it looked ok,then leave it and on to the next room.

CRT do similar,in that if something is broken,they fix it,but routine maintainance they rarely do.

I have seen a CRT bloke a couple of times on the Huddersfield Narrow and Broad greasing the paddle mechanism and clearing rubbish from the lock bywashes,but many of the lock gates leak badly resulting in low pounds.

Edited by Mad Harold

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

When will Mr Parry & Co realise the cost of this kind of devastation is more than the cost of keeping in-house experienced bank staff who can spot potential problems before they become major and very expensive problems. 

Having been involved with many very clear "spend now, save more later" options in the military, I can tell you that even the biggest "no brainers" recognised as saving a fortune in the future have to be rejected when the organisation has insufficient funds in the present.

Just think how many members here post about issues with their boats that would be so easily solved or avoided by adequately funding their boat purchase and upkeep in the first place. Hard to do if they simply don't have the spare cash.

• Greenie 1