Fuel boat - diesel filling question

Ewan123

Featured Posts

Very much a newbie question:

We're going to ask for a diesel top-up from a fuel boat due to pass by tomorrow. What I'd like to know is, can I just ask them to 'fill her up to the brim', provided I give an estimate of how much that might be?

We're not familiar with our tank capacity yet but think it's half-full (rough bamboo cane dipstick check) and would like it completely full to reduce condensation.

Edited by Ewan123

6 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

What I'd like to know is, can I just ask them to 'fill her up to the brim', provided I give an estimate of how much that might be?

As Peter says, just ask them to "Fill 'er up." 

You don't need to give an estimate, though it's usually a good idea for you to know how much you need - if only so you don't keep running out!  I suppose it could be polite to mention if you have a thousand litre tank, but most narrowboats don't.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, pearley said:

Yes, just ask for it to be filled.

21 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

As Peter says, just ask them to "Fill 'er up." 

You don't need to give an estimate, though it's usually a good idea for you to know how much you need - if only so you don't keep running out!  I suppose it could be polite to mention if you have a thousand litre tank, but most narrowboats don't.

Great, thanks both. Daft question I know, but I get to look a bit less daft in person instead!

36 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I keep track using the hour meter.. The nominal capacity of the tank (if I got my sums right when measuring it) is 170 litres. I get nervous after 80 hours engine running (roughly 120 litres).

Exactly what I do. I have a 180 litre tank and average 1.25 litres per hour consumption. I can usually predict within a few litres the fuel needed to fill the tank. 

43 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I keep track using the hour meter.. The nominal capacity of the tank (if I got my sums right when measuring it) is 170 litres. I get nervous after 80 hours engine running (roughly 120 litres).

Excellent idea, hadn’t thought of that one!

A typical narrowboat stern tank will hold around 200 litres, so at half full, expect to pay for around 100 litres, or so. They vary from boat to boat, but it won't be far out.

If you use any anti diesel bug treatment, bung some in before they arrive, so the act of filling stirs and mixes it in.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

Mark your dipstick before a fill up. A

Put 20litres in and dip again, mark dipstick. B

Measure distance between marks. 

Fill tank and mark dipstick when full.

Erase marks A&B and mark dipstick all the way down the same distance as between the marks 

This will give you a graduated dipstick so you will be able to work out the total capacity and see how much you use ?

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Mark your dipstick before a fill up. A

Put 20litres in and dip again, mark dipstick. B

Measure distance between marks. 

Fill tank and mark dipstick when full.

Erase marks A&B and mark dipstick all the way down the same distance as between the marks 

This will give you a graduated dipstick so you will be able to work out the total capacity and see how much you use ?

It works assuming your tank is a constant shape all the way down.

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It works assuming your tank is a constant shape all the way down.

Belfast has it's original GU tanks which have a large volume under the engine room floor, with an upstanding triangular section. The boat came with a dipstick calibrated in inches and a graph which has a bent sloping line to translate this to fuel volume. Since the graph line is a bit wobbly I assume it has been calibrated while filling the tanks rather than being a theoretical calculation based on the tank dimensions.

• Greenie 1

On 21/12/2020 at 12:15, philjw said:

I use a wooden metre rule as a dip stick. You can read off the levels in centimeteres .

...and take a second-hand newspaper with you when you dip the tank.  Lay the paper on the deck and lay the graduated stick on the paper (after dipping).  Much easier to see the damp patch on the paper - and read off the level against the stick - than seeing which bit of stick is wet/dry, particularly in bright sunlight.

Your fuel boat will have an auto-shutoff on their filler hose.  They'll stick it securely in the tank and leave it.  When the fuel in the tank reaches the end of the hose it blocks the flow  and shuts off the pump.

34 minutes ago, Opener said:

Your fuel boat will have an auto-shutoff on their filler hose.  They'll stick it securely in the tank and leave it.  When the fuel in the tank reaches the end of the hose it blocks the flow  and shuts off the pump.

According to the chap a Turners in Wheaton Aston, whose nozzle doesn't have one, they are in fact illegal in the UK.

MP.