Hero or fool

Jerra

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Bee said:

I don't think he told anybody what he intended to do. As for the RNLI and S&R people I would imagine every shout is counted as valuable training.

I'm not sure that matters does it?

If he was seen setting off or the jet ski washed up without him on it it would have sparked a rescue operation.

They also train independent of having to rescue some idiot who thinks common sense and rules don't apply to him.

9 minutes ago, Bee said:

As for the RNLI and S&R people I would imagine every shout is counted as valuable training.

The ones where all the crew come back don't teach quite as much as the ones where not all of them return. 

It's the unofficial motto of the US coastguard: "You gotta go out, you don't gotta come back."

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The problem is that people can do this sort of stuff in the UK in full knowledge that the RNLI and the crews of the S&R choppers will risk themselves to pick you up if it goes belly up.

Perhaps it's time to let a couple perish?

Very true>  I have no idea why he thought 20 minutes could do the trip, most days you won't be able to see the IoM from Whithorn.   Most days you can't see it from St Bees head which is much nearer.

8 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

So, once he's served his jail time (and quarantine!) , how does he leave the Isle, bearing in mind today's announcement about borders from the Sturgeon. Will he have to stay? 

I would hand his jet ski back with sufficient fuel to get two thirds of the way back, point in the general direction of Scotland and leave him to it....

On 19/12/2020 at 23:17, Iain_S said:

So, once he's served his jail time (and quarantine!) , how does he leave the Isle, bearing in mind today's announcement about borders from the Sturgeon. Will he have to stay? 

By ferry. Just read that he's been released and 'deported' . Girlfriend seems to think this unreasonable. Shame?, back in England he will be far more at risk from Covid 

12 hours ago, Slim said:

By ferry. Just read that he's been released and 'deported' . Girlfriend seems to think this unreasonable. Shame?

That's good news, but yes, it is a shame.

Interestingly the O.P., having invited our views, has yet to tell us his.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

That's good news, but yes, it is a shame.

Interestingly the O.P., having invited our views, has yet to tell us his.

As you ask, I consider him completely and totally bonkers.   I have made the trip from the Isle of Whithorn (which for those who don't know isn't an Island it lies at the entrance to Wigtown bay on the Solway) to the IoM and he would probably be fairly close to land until he was out of the Solway and the tides on the Scots side can be in the region of 6 Knots with waves even in calm weather.

IMO completely mad, irresponsible and putting others in danger.

• Greenie 1

"I consider him completely and totally bonkers".

I agree with that part, at least.

"Love makes fools of us all", said Thackeray (and not Shakespeare as I thought until I looked it up), and I would not argue with him.

Edited by Athy

19 minutes ago, Yellowback said:

You volunteering to birch the heroic fool?

But I cannot enter the Isle of Man!   Besides I think that the Manx government have deported him back to Scotland so he can join all the other stupid inconsiderate infection spreaders.

And of course there is no longer corporal punishment in the Isle. Pity really.

My present state would rule out my involvement anyway, just being word smart at his expense.  Girlfriend thinks its a shame but she has not indicated which way its a shame. Not clear if the shame is hers or his.