Market slowing down.

OTL

Featured Posts

Hi All.

I am an aspiring NB owner and am scrolling through Apollo Duck as well as 5 or 6 brokerages on a daily basis.

I have noticed that the variety has really slowed down for new boats coming on the market. Especially the 50ft-60ft models.

There seems to be a huge lack of variety at the moment. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a seasonal thing?

I thought my subscription to Rugby Boats had been compromised as I didn't recieve a new boat update for two weeks!

Anyway, please let me know your thoughts those who may have seen this before and what it may be signifying.

Thanks,

its a pain to show people round i suspect with all the restrictions?

better sell sooner than later if you're planning as the third lockdown is coming and i think this one will be the most restrictive yet, as lockdowns work like a charm as has been demonstrated on all the previous lockdowns..... :(

Edited by robtheplod
  • Greenie 1

11 hours ago, manicpb said:

I've got a boat that will be going on the market in the Spring (still occasionally think about keeping it on, but pretty sure it's going). Quite simply can't be bothered with sitting around and then showing people round in the cold and rain!

There is one solution. Use a broker to do the showing round.

Our boat went on brokerage and is already sold on deposit to the second viewer. Would be happy to name the brokerage if the mods permit!

34 minutes ago, MartinC said:

There is one solution. Use a broker to do the showing round.

Our boat went on brokerage and is already sold on deposit to the second viewer. Would be happy to name the brokerage if the mods permit!

I'm pretty confident it will sell it's self when it comes to it, especially if it's advertised a few grand cheaper than at a broker (I'll save a few quid on broker fees and the buyer will save a bit on the boat). Of course if I'm wrong and either no one turns up or wants it...I'll turn to a broker's services!

Cheers anyhow. ?

23 minutes ago, MartinC said:

ABNB

A good choice. They sold our last boat and we have nothing but good to say about them. It went to either the first or the second couple who viewed it, and very close to the asking price.

Edited by Athy

I expect a slowdown in the market isn't just due to Christmas but also because people might be wary about something several tens of thousands of pounds at a time when confidence in the economy is so low. 

Most developed countries just have the one big economic problem - covid-19, but on top of that UK has other big issues including Brexit and the £ going south. A cheaper £ makes our exports more competitive of course, but with the imminent divorce between the UK and our biggest trading partner and nothing concrete to replace that trade, the short-term uncertainty means economic confidence is low and that will affect the market for big purchases.

12 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I expect a slowdown in the market isn't just due to Christmas but also because people might be wary about something several tens of thousands of pounds at a time when confidence in the economy is so low. 

Most developed countries just have the one big economic problem - covid-19, but on top of that UK has other big issues including Brexit and the £ going south. A cheaper £ makes our exports more competitive of course, but with the imminent divorce between the UK and our biggest trading partner and nothing concrete to replace that trade, the short-term uncertainty means economic confidence is low and that will affect the market for big purchases.

The slowdown is people not selling more than not buying. Some of that may be because they're worried the current economic situation is going to result in stupidly low offers, but I expect its more people don't expect or want people to look at their boat at all during winter in the middle of a pandemic, plus the expectation the boat might still be their best holiday option next year 

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

On what basis do you say that? There are still many hundreds of boats for sale.

People have decided that keeping their boats for a safe UK holiday is a better bet than selling and hoping this has all gone away next year.

All brokers are struggling to get stock, and keep it, as most half decent boats are selling as soon as listed (if prices sensibly).

Boats have been flying off the shelves at local brokerages since Easter .

Anything half decent and  sensibly priced  seems to sell quite fast.  

Whats left is  new to the market ,overpriced or already sold.  A pallet with an out board on it would sell if priced appropriately - but probably not this week.

Brokers are probably on holiday now until 4th January.