Responsible or Irresponsible Tier 3 Cruising?

PD1964

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I wouldnt mind betting that 90% of peeps under 70 who contracted the virus went to a supermarket in the week when they were infected. Positive proof ?that most transmission is in supermarkets for any aspiring government statician.

The very old joke I usually use to point out similar faulty reasoning goes like this:

"Do you know how to keep elephants off the street?"

"No"

"Paint all the pillar boxes red"

" Why?"

"Well it obviously works - have you seen any elephants on our streets?"

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

Birmingham and west midlands is under exactly the same situation, it is pockets of..population that are not only ignoring, but actively going against guidelines and laws, thus putting their elders and the NHS at serious risk of collapse.

Have you noticed it's always other people doing it? It's as odd as everyone except oneself breaking the speed limit, littering or not picking up after their dog. Or, in our cases, overstaying, running gennies at the wrong time, etc etc. 

If only other people would behave properly, life would be so much better.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

The very old joke I usually use to point out similar faulty reasoning goes like this:

"Do you know how to keep elephants off the street?"

"No"

"Paint all the pillar boxes red"

" Why?"

"Well it obviously works - have you seen any elephants on our streets?"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikaandersen/2012/03/23/true-fact-the-lack-of-pirates-is-causing-global-warming/?sh=23a3dc4a3a67

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Have you noticed it's always other people doing it? It's as odd as everyone except oneself breaking the speed limit, littering or not picking up after their dog. Or, in our cases, overstaying, running gennies at the wrong time, etc etc. 

If only other people would behave properly, life would be so much better.

Yes. Whenever we get a weeping relative on the News, blaming others for their loved one's loss to Covid, I sometimes wonder did they get it through unavoidable occupational contact, or were they being less than careful about wearing masks and socially distancing themselves?

• 2 weeks later...

We've just received a communication from one of the Foxes, who seems to feel that some of the comments in this thread are inaccurate and/or unfair. Ideally, we'd invite him to join the forum and answer any posts with which he disagrees. However, he's sent his letter as a "Guest", which means we have no way of replying to him as far as I'm aware. So, Guest, if you read this, do join the Forum so that you can enter the discussion.

As you have now sent in FIFTEEN separate reports, you obviously have plenty of things which you'd like to say.

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, Athy said:

We've just received a communication from one of the Foxes, who seems to feel that some of the comments in this thread are inaccurate and/or unfair. Ideally, we'd invite him to join the forum and answer any posts with which he disagrees. However, he's sent his letter as a "Guest", which means we have no way of replying to him as far as I'm aware. So, Guest, if you read this, do join the Forum so that you can enter the discussion.

As you have now sent in FIFTEEN separate reports, you obviously have plenty of things which you'd like to say.

I am not surprised that they are reluctant to join in. To do that they would have to be prepared to have some on here nit pick each and every comment they make.

I did send them a link a while ago but I'm not sure if that is what they are specifically responding to. 

Edited by The Happy Nomad

25 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I am not surprised that they are reluctant to join in. To do that they would have to be prepared to have some on here nit pick each and every comment they make.

I did send them a link a while ago but I'm not sure if that is what they are specifically responding to. 

It would be like entering the lions den, a den full of grumpy, hungry lions who really really miss going for a jolly in the serengeti.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

or make a video and post on youtube... this site will get some traffic and hopefully young blood.

18 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

It would be like entering the lions den, a den full of grumpy, hungry lions who really really miss going for a jolly in the serengeti.

No more, I'd think, than any member replying to a post - some would agree, others would not. We're, after all,a discussion forum (and, lest we forget, the topic's title is phrased as an even-handed question inviting varying points of view, which have indeed been forthcoming.)

57 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Did you invite them to join when you sent the link? 

Just now, Chagall said:

Did you invite them to join when you sent the link? 

I cant recall my exact wording but it was something along the lines of 'you guys might want to respond to some of this'.

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Lions?  Really?  I'm more reminded of a gang of elderly squawking crows.  Or baboons maybe?

Some of my best friends are baboons, but I take your point ;)

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Lions?  Really?  I'm more reminded of a gang of elderly squawking crows.  Or baboons maybe?

Meerkats?

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Must be bored as theyve only gone from the top of the Caldon to the Peak Forest during lockdown 3.

All navigation in England and Wales should be limited to essential use only. Those living aboard are advised to limit their navigation, moving only a minimal amount to access essential facilities or services when necessary.

Anyhow, heres what they think of people like MrSmelly and PD1964.

"This hug is for that one person who dislikes all the narrowboat YouTuber videos within seconds of release without watching them. We honestly love you despite your chronic halitosis and micro-genitalia. Thanks for the engagement"

Edited by matty40s

18 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Must be bored as theyve only gone from the top of the Caldon to the Peak Forest during lockdown 3.

All navigation in England and Wales should be limited to essential use only. Those living aboard are advised to limit their navigation, moving only a minimal amount to access essential facilities or services when necessary.

"This hug is for that one person who dislikes all the narrowboat YouTuber videos within seconds of release without watching them. We honestly love you despite your chronic halitosis and micro-genitalia. Thanks for the engagement"

I wonder why they don't want to say something like that on here. 

5 minutes ago, Chagall said:

I wonder why they don't want to say something like that on here. 

They have probably read the forum rules and decided they couldn't comply.

You will not use CWDF to post or reference to any material anywhere on the site that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, aimed to deceive or ridicule, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, disruptive, intimidating, threatening, inflammatory, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, bullying or invasive of a person's privacy

Sounds like this is a better place without them.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

No more, I'd think, than any member replying to a post - some would agree, others would not. We're, after all,a discussion forum (and, lest we forget, the topic's title is phrased as an even-handed question inviting varying points of view, which have indeed been forthcoming.)

I for one would be very happy if they joined in as they seem to have a lot to offer. They make professional standard videos and, whenever possible, come across as really positive folk despite difficulties. If you follow their weekly output then you will know that 2020 was as hard for them as for many of us. Being rammed (literally) was amongst the events of the year and Covid cast its shadow over their health.

If you read this, Colin, do come on in - it is better than some want you to think (they just enjoy an echo chamber) and those with prejudices outwith the confines of boating matters tend to drift off eventually. (I personally am not at all prejudiced about any boating matter as I know that my view is always the right one!)

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They have probably read the forum rules and decided they couldn't comply.

You will not use CWDF to post or reference to any material anywhere on the site that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, aimed to deceive or ridicule, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, disruptive, intimidating, threatening, inflammatory, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, bullying or invasive of a person's privacy

Sounds like this is a better place without them.

its a twitter post and most likely directed at people who click 'dislike' on their videos on youtube within second of release, not forum members... still silly and childish 

Edited by restlessnomad

25 minutes ago, matty40s said:

To be ruthlessly honest, and without checking down my trousers, I can say that I have never come across a YouTube nb video I haven't want to switch off the moment I realised what it was. I didn't know it was compulsory to like them. I realise some people do, and that's nice, and some people like making them, and that's nice too.

If you can't take criticism, you shouldn't put yourself in the public eye.

I put songs on YouTube, but I don't insist everyone looks at them, or likes them if they do. Nor do I feel the need to sling insults at those who regard YouTube (or my songs) as a waste of time. It probably all is. Life goes on.

PS Thanking us ironically for the engagement while refusing to engage is a bit overdoing the irony, maybe?

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

To be ruthlessly honest, and without checking down my trousers, I can say that I have never come across a YouTube nb video I haven't want to switch off the moment I realised what it was. I didn't know it was compulsory to like them. I realise some people do, and that's nice, and some people like making them, and that's nice too.

I put songs on YouTube, but I don't insist everyone looks at them, or likes them if they do. Nor do I feel the need to sling insults at those who regard YouTube (or my songs) as a waste of time. It probably all is. Life goes on.

PS Thanking us ironically for the engagement while refusing to engage is a bit overdoing the irony, maybe?

Thats Nice.

They have been invited to join but I suspect they wont. There is no such thing as bad publicity but it does need to be handled intelligently! 

11 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I dont think the comment was directed at cwdf. It was in a tweet made last March and aimed at folk who immediately dislike their videos seconds after they have posted them.