Responsible or Irresponsible Tier 3 Cruising?

PD1964

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, phantom_iv said:

Anyway, it seems unlikely that those vaccinated (or indeed recovered from the virus) will be able to carry & spread it (at least not to a significant degree) given that a lot of scientists now thing asymptomatic transmission isn't really a thing (as opposed to pre-symptomatic, which is).

Do you have any references for that, please.   It would amaze me if that turns out to be the case.

I know typhoid is a bacterium not a virus but the case of "typhoid Mary" shows it is possible with bacteria.   She was born infected (her mother had typhoid during pregnancy) and stayed infected until her death at 69.

Viruses being smaller and possibly not even alive (some IIRC have been crystalised and then "reawakened") could surely behave in a similar matter.

5 minutes ago, phantom_iv said:

More to the point level of protection after 1st dose isn't that well understood & takes a few weeks to kick in so best be careful for now... I'd think its more important for their own sake not to catch it rather than the risk of them passing it on so much

As I understand it this is true of all vaccinations.

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

I've even been allowed to add off-list things that take my fancy now - though I do then get the occasional "What on earth made you get that!".

One thing that would be useful would be for some sort of badge, like e.g. an old car tax or CRT licence sticker, to show if and when a person had been inoculated. At least some of those being called out on this thread may come into that category and not causing hazard as claimed.

Tam

The suggestion that people who have had the jab are not infectious is most definitely not claimed by the scientists/medics. What is claimed for it is protection against getting the disease, once infected. They have repeatedly said that they do not know its effect on infectiousness.

(sorry, I now see that others have made the same remark - time lag!)

Edited by Mike Todd

'Care needed' after getting Covid vaccine - BBC News

Vaccination has been shown to prevent severe infection, so even if people do catch the virus, they would be protected from getting seriously ill.

The call comes as an NHS nurse working for the Hywel Dda University Health Board area said she contracted Covid-19 while waiting for her second dose

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

I know typhoid is a bacterium not a virus but the case of "typhoid Mary" shows it is possible with bacteria.   She was born infected (her mother had typhoid during pregnancy) and stayed infected until her death at 69.

Viruses being smaller and possibly not even alive (some IIRC have been crystalised and then "reawakened") could surely behave in a similar matter.

I remember reading that there was a case of the Scots nurse who seemed to have been infected with Ebola two or three times with multiple negative tests over a long period between times. It was suspected that it was one infection throughout with the virus hiding out where the immune system gives no protection (e.g. in brain tissue) in between times, and emerging periodically.

As to whether the otherwise immune can pass on infection is I think at present unknown, and the government advice is based on taking a precautionary approach until there is good evidence either way. 

39 minutes ago, alias said:

As to whether the otherwise immune can pass on infection is I think at present unknown, and the government advice is based on taking a precautionary approach until there is good evidence either way. 

I think we have to be absolutely clear here. When you get the vaccination, it will (may) give your body the ability to stop the virus taking hold in your tissues and hopefully stop any infection becoming serious.

Having the vaccination will not mean you will not have the virus in your body therefore you could still be contagious and capable of passing it on.

Having antibodies present in your system from a previous attack of the virus again does not mean you will not have the virus in your body from a new attack so you could again be contagious.

In both the later 2 cases, it seems likely that your level of contagion is likely less than someone with the virus who has not be infected before or vaccinated but the risk is still there, albeit lower.

The message to anyone vaccinated is that it is possible at the moment that you could still infect someone if you have the virus in your body so keep following the rules. That advice may change in the future once solid data is obtained on transmission rates with/without the vaccine.

On 06/01/2021 at 17:03, ditchcrawler said:

Ours sells everything from Birthday cards to electrical items with a small section selling plants etc. https://www.cherry-lane.co.uk/

image.png.7bb5ab1f7ae19452b409593a7d86d55e.png

Ours is like that. They do still grow a few bedding plants from seed on site, but most of the stock is bought in. They actually brand themselves as 'Garden, home and leisure', and the rambling site has plants, garden stuff, pets, fish, cards, crafts, cafe, and then across the road they have a mill shop selling clothing, homewares and a whole range of other stuff (and another cafe).

https://www.gordonrigg.com

On 07/01/2021 at 13:26, ditchcrawler said:

We had to shop more often during the last lock down as we couldn't buy enough milk to last a week let alone 10 days, other  items were also limit.

Freezer.

We always buy a few cartons of milk, one goes in the fridge, the rest in the freezer. Keeps for ages. Get it out to defrost the day before you need it.

On 07/01/2021 at 14:51, Alan de Enfield said:

We froze several 4-pinters but when they are un-frozen the result is not very pleasant as the fats in the milk (even semi-skimmed) seperate from the 'water' and no amount of shaking will re-combine them.

I don't get that problem - with ordinary supermarket semi skimmed. But when defrosting the cream does thaw first, so if you take some milk from a part-defrosted carton it is very creamy, and the rest when fully defrosted is a bit more like skimmed milk.

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Freezer.

We always buy a few cartons of milk, one goes in the fridge, the rest in the freezer. Keeps for ages. Get it out to defrost the day before you need it.

But that would mean I would always have a dozen cartons of milk in the freezer in case there is a lockdown, when was the last lockdown you can remember before this virus came about. Apparently members of the Latter day Saints did quite well because they always hold a good stock ready for the next famine.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I think we have to be absolutely clear here. When you get the vaccination, it will (may) give your body the ability to stop the virus taking hold in your tissues and hopefully stop any infection becoming serious.

Having the vaccination will not mean you will not have the virus in your body therefore you could still be contagious and capable of passing it on.

Having antibodies present in your system from a previous attack of the virus again does not mean you will not have the virus in your body from a new attack so you could again be contagious.

In both the later 2 cases, it seems likely that your level of contagion is likely less than someone with the virus who has not be infected before or vaccinated but the risk is still there, albeit lower.

The message to anyone vaccinated is that it is possible at the moment that you could still infect someone if you have the virus in your body so keep following the rules. That advice may change in the future once solid data is obtained on transmission rates with/without the vaccine.

It really ought to be quite worrying as if this turns out to be the case then, unlike vaccines for other diseases, vaccination will not cause COVID to die out, or at least become a background noise. In fact it will remain just as prevalent as now and then the danger is that people don't bother with their regular booster jab and so it will all start over again. We really must hope for a vaccine that stops infections.

The vaccine might even increase the prevalence - at the moment if your are infected then you feel ill and stop circulating in society but if you have had the jab then you will carry ojn as before, only aware of being infectious if mass testing becomes the norm.

Can somebody explain how asymptomatic carriers are able to infect others if they take normal precautions (wear face mask and maintain safe distance). Same with people who had a vaccine.

As I understand you need to sneeze or cough to be able to transmit enough virus to infect others.

Edited by restlessnomad

13 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

It really ought to be quite worrying as if this turns out to be the case then, unlike vaccines for other diseases, vaccination will not cause COVID to die out, or at least become a background noise. In fact it will remain just as prevalent as now and then the danger is that people don't bother with their regular booster jab and so it will all start over again. We really must hope for a vaccine that stops infections.

The vaccine might even increase the prevalence - at the moment if your are infected then you feel ill and stop circulating in society but if you have had the jab then you will carry ojn as before, only aware of being infectious if mass testing becomes the norm.

Until the data is there to argue other wise then this is the case. I sincerely hope the vaccine means no one is infectious but that is a hope for the future.

14 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

Can somebody explain how asymptomatic carriers are able to infect others if they take normal precautions (wear face mask and dont mix with population). Same with people who had a vaccine.

As I understand you need to sneeze or cough to be able to transmit enough virus to infect others.

If you are an asymptomatic carrier then you have the virus in your airways and virus droplets will be spread by talking/touching etc. Masks will stop a lot of virus droplets but not all. If you dont mix ...ie isolate...then you are fine as long as no one touches what you have touched.

If you have had the vaccine and it generates the antibodies that are needed, then if subsequently you get infected with the virus, the antibodies set about isolating the virus and 'killing' it. The virus though is in your body and therefore you can breath it out etc infecting others. The vaccine does not stop the virus entering the body so having the vaccine is not cert that the virus will not get in.

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Wouldn't this be a boring place if topics didnt  drift?

15 minutes ago, StephenA said:

It's also drifted, as most CWDF threads do, completely off topic.

I bet some OPs are over the moon when that happens and others incensed 

20 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I bet some OPs are over the moon when that happens and others incensed 

Why? They can always just start a new post.

Just like all the posts every other day that start “Hi I’m Thinking of buying a Narrowboat”?

1 hour ago, restlessnomad said:

Can somebody explain how asymptomatic carriers are able to infect others if they take normal precautions (wear face mask and maintain safe distance). Same with people who had a vaccine.

Well I would have thought that was obvious.

Its the ones who are asymptomatic and aren't social distancing etc etc.

You also dont only need to cough or sneeze to transmit.

2 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

The masks and social distancing don't totally prevent the aerosols being discharged merely reduce them and the chance of breathing them in.     Speaking causes aerosols to come out of the body you don't have to cough or sneeze.   Coughs and sneezes will spread the aerosols further.   These droplets are so small that once out of the body they circulate in the sir for a long time.

Then there are those like a certain poster on this forum who think that once X number have been vaccinated he can do as he likes, there might also be a tendency for those who have been vaccinated to get more careless in their social distancing, hand washing and mask wearing thinking they are safe and forgetting they could still be spreading the disease.

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Why? They can always just start a new post.

Just like all the posts every other day that start “Hi I’m Thinking of buying a Narrowboat”?

....I'm starting a vlog if you want to contribute.

You missed that bit.

20 hours ago, LadyG said:

You would soon find, well after six months, that it is better to have that hours exercise, not having any outdoor experiences is a bit of a nightmare. 

I dont go out to excercise no point, I do 5k on the water rower every day keeps me away from others ;)

6 hours ago, matty40s said:

....I'm starting a vlog if you want to contribute.

You missed that bit.

Please not like these Newbies?

These two come across as desperate to be on the Social Media Platform. Even have a weekly Pod Cast to tell the world of their experience of living in a Marina for a month, a shop for their merchandise (even though they have never been out yet or through a lock) and the obligatory Donations page (to pay for the running costs of their new car and residential moorings)

https://www.lovelifetriumph.co.uk/

Never seen anyone who has just bought a boat wanting it so much (Not the boating life but Social acceptance) Total Pantomime performances and tragic that a couple of their age are trying so hard to be accepted by the other Social Media boaters. Sad? 

Edited by PD1964
  • Love 1