Responsible or Irresponsible Tier 3 Cruising?

PD1964

Featured Posts

I have watched Foxes Afloat a couple of times. Whether they are travelling in breach of COVID is not my position to judge. I don’t know which is which but I like listening to the younger one because he gives interesting information on their journey. I’m sorry but the other one I find frustrating with his constant smart Alec quips. Just my opinion of course.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Mordent

noun

Music
noun: mordent; plural noun: mordents; noun: lower mordent; noun: upper mordent; noun: inverted mordent
  1. a rapid alternation of a note with the note immediately below or above it in the scale (sometimes further distinguished as lower mordent and upper mordent ). The term inverted mordent usually refers to the upper mordent.

Origin
efefe4871b08941f826447c19e723e67a66de829
early 19th century: via German from Italian mordente, present participle of mordere ‘to bite’.

Tip
Similar-sounding words
mordent is sometimes confused with mordant

It's a new one on me. I see that it's from the same Latin word as "mordant".

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

The government even paid for you to go out for dinner

Not this family, we saw it for what it was an attempt to get the infection rate up so we could get towards herd immunity. ?

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think it was the 21st July that the restrictions were lifted (certainly in Wales) we were on the boat by the 22nd and the border (I think) closed again 21st October. We had to use the local escape comittee to help get us over the border early morning on the 22nd.

The 23rd of May was when movement was relaxed for those who live on a boat. The 14 day rule (and short stay mooring rules) begun from that date.

Several pages earlier someone mentioned the Foxes went to the Peak forest for a funeral and back in mid December rather than in January as it appeared. That they chose to publish their new location straight away but delayed publishing the reason is why some were speculating (myself included) about why they travelled so far. The most they seem guilty of in April is some loose interpretation of what counts as a busy towpath, to allow them to move well past facilities each time, which is a personal thing at the end of the day and probably fairly sensible too.

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I can remember it yes, but I couldn't recall the dates it ran from and to.

We didn't take advantage of it (barring one pint sat outside a pub!!) if perhaps we had made more use of it I may have recalled the specifics.

We did but not really intentionally as we were planning that rare meal out anyway. Just made it that bit more enjoyable, knowing that everyone else was contributing to the cost!

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Yes but he originally said mordant nor mordent - but then, what's a vowel between friends? (or between enemies if LadyG is to be believed)

It was obviously accidental, what with some folk thinking this thread is a bit too sharp, and others worrying that advice may be falling on deaf ears. The key is to keep out of treble, and bass your decisions by cleffer thinking. That way you can stave off these difficult times (5:4 is one of them, as is 9:16). 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It was obviously accidental, what with some folk thinking this thread is a bit too sharp, and others worrying that advice may be falling on deaf ears. The key is to keep out of treble, and bass your decisions by cleffer thinking. That way you can stave off these difficult times (5:4 is one of them, as is 9:16). 

Please note that joke fell flat ... :D

(This is worse than fish jokes, and they have scales too)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Brubeck, as I live and breve.

16 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

9:16 is easy - it's only 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9

15 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I'd rather have treble fish rather than flat fish

What's wrong with bass?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think you're being a bit hard on poor old Oscar. I'm not sure the seduction wasn't at least partly the other way round and the relationship wouldn't be illegal now as Douglas was 21 when they met, and was also more than a little notorious himself. I don't think we want to go back to the days when "gross indecency" was a crime as well as a euphemism.

Not all of us are nasty, most aren't. Don't tag us all with the same brush.

I think the gross indecency evidence was revealed after he attempted to restore his good name by taking the father of a lover to court for libel or whatever. So he ended up in jail, when he himself was put on trial, he was probably a serial offender and a denier. I'm not homophobic, but I think he probably had a very dark side. 

• Unimpressed 2

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I think the gross indecency evidence was revealed after he attempted to restore his good name by taking the father of a lover to court for libel or whatever. So he ended up in jail, when he himself was put on trial, he was probably a serial offender and a denier. I'm not homophobic, but I think he probably had a very dark side. 

Sorry, but that post seems extremely homophobic to me, whatever you say. I have no time for modern hashtag nonsense, but mores in Wilde's time were very different and why would he not try to deny in public.

• Greenie 2

12 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Sorry, but that post seems extremely homophobic to me, whatever you say. I have no time for modern hashtag nonsense, but mores in Wilde's time were very different and why would he not try to deny in public.

The point I am trying to make is that if he had just ignored the first complaint, rather than trying to fight it in by using the due processes of Law of Libel, he would not have ended up being prosecuted himself.

Edited by LadyG

14 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Nah, most of us musicians lose our herring.

I have found it for you Arthur (The version I sing) :-

Or a more sedate version:-

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

On 29/01/2021 at 19:30, ditchcrawler said:

This is what happens when people get wound up about boats moving 

⭐?? Good evening all, we have had a report of wire being strung across the canal - this is not acceptable behaviour boaters & users alike still have to make essential journeys on their boats!! The police have been informed, be respectful #ourlocalcanal #beaware ⭐?? #love #peace

3Gook Vincent Herbert and 2 others
1 comment

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/crime/lancaster-canal-fishing-wire-incident-could-have-seriously-injured-poulton-boater-3119323