Responsible or Irresponsible Tier 3 Cruising?

PD1964

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, Athy said:

The reason we were given by Tesco (who operated the scheme briefly)was that it limited the number of customers in the store at any one time. I think it was 45 of them at the Wisbech branch. No other local supermarket followed suit as far as I'm aware. Certainly Morrison's didn't: we had to queue up outside, but both of us could go in together.

all shops (I know of) have maximum number of people they allow inside (and a guy to keep track of number of people going in and out). Tesco seems to want to give every household same opportunity to buy (think LIDL or ALDI also had similar policy, I have seen people being stopped).

Similar with people who were bulk buying toilet rolls, some supermarkets allowed, some did rationing (give fair chance to all households)

edit: looks like I was wrong about the reason, its to reduce contact apparently.

Edited by restlessnomad

I've been trying to remember the last time I went into a shop.

I now buy all my groceries online.  I reckon the last time I went in a shop to buy was around september/october last year.  The one except was about 3 weeks ago.  I was out for a walk and I was desperate for the loo, there was a tesco so I went in to use that.  I was genuinely shocked at how busy it was.  Yes it was in the run up to Christmas, but there were big family groups just ambling around the shop with their masks round their chins.  This was in a tier 3 area.  I think it was at that point that  fully realised how bad things would be getting in the new year. 

Some people just never got what a pandemic means in the first place (including some forum members).  Others seem to have gotten bored with doing what they should.

It should be really simple.  If you're planning to do a thing, ask yourself these questions:

1.  Is there any level of risk involved?

2.  Do I actually need to do it?

3.  If yes, can I do it differently to reduce risk.

A pandemic is built in billions of little casual neglectful acts.  Each one adds a tiny bit to the overall picture. 

Shopping in pairs or groups is one of these acts.  If you really can't do it by yourself, it's not available to order online, and you really NEED it, then fair enough.  But if you tick those boxes I'd question whether you should even be going out, or whether someone should be shopping for you.

• Greenie 3

51 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Sigh, we are in an emergency situation, this has not got through, supermarket shopping has become a focus of family outings. People need to take their exercise outdoors, not in Aldi,  Morrisons or anywhere else. One shop per week is more than adequate for people with a fridge and freezer.

The message is STAY AT HOME.

And don't take goods back, they have been in your house and I don't want them in mine!

We had to shop more often during the last lock down as we couldn't buy enough milk to last a week let alone 10 days, other  items were also limit.

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We had to shop more often during the last lock down as we couldn't buy enough milk to last a week let alone 10 days, other  items were also limit.

As a by-product of the shortages last spring I have discovered that UHT milk now tastes much better than I remember it used to many years ago. 

5 minutes ago, alias said:

As a by-product of the shortages last spring I have discovered that UHT milk now tastes much better than I remember it used to many years ago. 

If you’ve lost your sense of taste, it could be Covid!! 

We have been buying the filtered semi-skinned milk which tastes just like standard s-s milk. It’s slightly more expensive but has a much longer use by date. 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Yes, that sounds more reasonable, but it's not what Bob said.

I can't see any difference between husband and wife going round together, or husband going in, then an hour later wife going in (quite possibly to get the things he's forgotten or return the things he's got wrong). It's still the same number of people.

Bob was talking crap again!

The problem I find is that wifey stands 1-2 meters in front of the trolley browsing the 101 boxes of eggs that all look the same, trying to decide which one to touch ......and then tentitively open ...then tentitively swap for another one .....and repeat.... with hubby standing 1-2 meters behind the trolley with eyes rolling looking at the ceiling therefore blocking about 3-4 meters of isle space for 5 minutes. If hubby does it on his own, he is in and out in 15 seconds. Hubby does get shouted at when he gets home as he has bought all the wrong stuff!

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We use long life milk, but use more than 2 cartons per week

Yes, so do I. Is it limited to two cartons per visit to the shop? 

1 minute ago, MHS said:

We have been buying the filtered semi-skinned milk which tastes just like standard s-s milk. It’s slightly more expensive but has a much longer use by date. 

That's what we usually have when available. For a month or two in the spring it was as rare as toilet paper and hand sanitiser in my local shop.

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It lasts for ever if you freeze it. We've had a 4-pinter in the freezer since before Christmas, alongside a loaf - emergency rations for if we can' get a delivery or if we get snowed in.

7 minutes ago, MHS said:

We have been buying the filtered semi-skinned milk 

Did it lose the rest of its skin during filtration?

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

:D

Milk or coffee, I agree with you. But custard skin....well, I'll have yours if you don't want it.

You’re welcome to it. Years ago our primary school dinners involved a lot of swaps depending on everyone’s likes & dislikes. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

It was in the last lockdown 

I noticed that in the last lockdown our local shop hadn't applied all the restrictions logically. So for example at one point you could only buy two tins of tomatoes, but you could instead have two packs of four tins. 

2 minutes ago, alias said:

I noticed that in the last lockdown our local shop hadn't applied all the restrictions logically. So for example at one point you could only buy two tins of tomatoes, but you could instead have two packs of four tins. 

It's much easier to set the tills to only allow 2 units of the same item.

This also reduces the "confusion" people claim to have when they think the rule shouldn't apply to them.

Your point taken to it's extreme would suggest that if the shop sells water in 500ml bottles nobody should be able to buy it in 2l bottles because that's like four ...

19 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

There speaks the voice of informed observation, doesn't even know which other wildlife eats slugs.

18 hours ago, LadyG said:

Toads, blackbirds, newts, the fact that none of these higher creatures are part of the human food chain does not make my post invalid. 

So do our chickens (I know, they're not wildlife, just life). They transform them into eggs - which we then eat.

48 minutes ago, Athy said:

It lasts for ever if you freeze it. We've had a 4-pinter in the freezer since before Christmas, alongside a loaf - emergency rations for if we can' get a delivery or if we get snowed in.

We froze several 4-pinters but when they are un-frozen the result is not very pleasant as the fats in the milk (even semi-skimmed) seperate from the 'water' and no amount of shaking will re-combine them. As you use it you end up with an unpleasant 'sludge'  that sticks onto the side and bottom of the container and is almost impossible to wash out.

Yes, 1/2 -3/4  of the carton is a bit better than nothing, but don't expect it to be the same as it was before freezing.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I buy filtered milk, in individual litre bottles, they are supposed to last up to three weeks if stored in a fridge unopened, other milks last about seven days, once opened they need to be consumed in three fridge days.

There is only myself to feed, but with no fridge, I have found deliveries every five days is fine, I know my spend per shopping, and I think I've cracked it. Morrisons will give me a next day delivery if I get stuck, which happens because sometimes they don't sub that works very well if people are self isolating or have no car.

I spend quite a bit of time on balancing my groceries, and get plenty of the discounts, bacon in plastic lasts at least a week unopened, so that can be slightly 'over ordered' Buying pre packed foods is probably easier than if bought from the counter service.

I note loo paper is limited today, but most people can manage with a nine pack per week, surely.

57 minutes ago, alias said:

Yes, so do I. Is it limited to two cartons per visit to the shop? 

That's what we usually have when available. For a month or two in the spring it was as rare as toilet paper and hand sanitiser in my local shop.

We have our milk delivered by a milkman, in 568ml bottles. It was never in short supply.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, alias said:

That is always going to be the case.  Tesco had I think a 3 of any item limit, and a max of 80 items in click and collect, so we switched to wine boxes, three bottles worth for one item!  Pack of 18 cans of beer, one item.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We froze several 4-pinters but when they are un-frozen the result is not very pleasant as the fats in the milk (even semi-skimmed) seperate from the 'water' and no amount of shaking will re-combine them.

We always have skimmed. It freezes just fine and, more to the point, it thaws just fine as well.

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

That is always going to be the case.  Tesco had I think a 3 of any item limit, and a max of 80 items in click and collect, so we switched to wine boxes, three bottles worth for one item!  Pack of 18 cans of beer, one item.

At the last count there was more than 100 litres of beer in my cellar (nearly all home-brew).

1 minute ago, Athy said:

We always have skimmed. It freezes just fine and, more to the point, it thaws just fine as well.

So does semi-skilled from the milkman, provided you put it in a plastic bottle first!

• Greenie 1