Responsible or Irresponsible Tier 3 Cruising?

PD1964

Featured Posts

Surely it cannot be argued that for many jobs 'physical' requirements may be necessay.

Some years ago (even as a Civilian Instructor) before I was allowed to teach cadets how to fly I had to go to London to the RAF medical college for a FULL medical (that took over 8 hours to conduct)

I had been allowed to fly solo on a 'satisfatory GPs medical' - but when 3rd parties became involved it meant meeting the 'physical and medical' requirements.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Surely it cannot be argued that for many jobs 'physical' requirements may be necessay.

Some years ago (even as a Civilian Instructor) before I was allowed to teach cadets how to fly I had to go to London to the RAF medical college for a FULL medical (that took over 8 hours to conduct)

I had been allowed to fly solo on a 'satisfatory GPs medical' - but when 3rd parties became involved it meant meeting the 'physical and medical' requirements.

Hey Alan, fellow C.I. !!! I used to do this also, although not the actually flight teaching!

39 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

But is that a necessary physical requirement?

The physical requirements have not been "swept under the carpet". They are set out quite clearly on various web pages. What may have changed is the professional view of what the job entails and unnecessary 'macho' style limits are not required. I'd never have passed the physical even if I passed the height!

As it stands at the moment, like it or not, is that the standards are set by the professionals charges with delivering the services, not Joe Public.

And there lies the problem. One of my best friends, best man at my wedding has recently retired as an Assistant chief constable and he despairs at the lowering of standards and uniform that looks paramilitary. Speaking myself from first hand experience I can assure you that face to face with large crowds in very serious rioting situations, no female officers were ever involved, the professionals at the time had far more sense than to allow it.

Just now, robtheplod said:

Hey Alan, fellow C.I. !!! I used to do this also, although not the actually flight teaching!

Small world.

I taught 'theory of flight' and 'shooting' as a CI to a cadet squadron (RAF Newton) and at weekends was a 'Flying CI' at the Central Gliding School teaching cadets from all over the country to fly in Motor Gliders.

I was also an instructor and Tug-Pilot at a Gliding club and had my own Glider based there.

In the end, just not enough days in the week - RAF Newton closed and then I gave up flying with the RAF and concentrated on my own flying.

35 minutes ago, Jerra said:

So how do you get the unconscious person down the ladder?   I will ask if it still happens I know he has had to do it.

And often those down below what I always hear called the "shiny A**es" so called because they do desk jobs are critical of the standards set.   They often feel the highups have forgotten what being on the front line actually entails. 

It's not that physical ,more around the technique. 

I have been  carred down ladders by female firefighters on a couple of occasions during training and that would include extra weight of the bunker gear I would have been wearing .

I would also add ,some of the best firefighters I know are female and I would trust them  to have my back in any situation.

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

, no female officers were ever involved, the professionals at the time had far more sense than to allow it.

Ah, that says a lot about how some people view the females of the species! From what you say your view of "professionals" is that they are all male and no male would allow females to be involved in certain jobs. 

How sad and what a blinkered view but I suppose it is to be expected in view of your admiration for Boris and Farage. 

As I said, it is very sad that such an attitude still exists today.

Haggis. 

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, haggis said:

Ah, that says a lot about how some people view the females of the species! From what you say your view of "professionals" is that they are all male and no male would allow females to be involved in certain jobs. 

How sad and what a blinkered view but I suppose it is to be expected in view of your admiration for Boris and Farage. 

Haggis. 

Don’t worry, he is quite old and will soon be a fossil. ...  if not already!

Just now, haggis said:

Haggis. 

Wrong again. Plenty of staff including the sergeant on one of my shifts were female. They were not stupid enough to deploy police women into such situations and be a weak link. You are completely clueless with you remarks and it shows you have never been involved in such situations, listen to those of us who have and you may learn some reality. If you dont think females are generaly considered physicaly weaker than males of our species pray tell me why we have male and female olympic games? Police women are better suited to some jobs than male, ask a rape victim who she wants to talk to be it a bloke or another woman. I had a knock at my police house door one sunday morning from a disheveled girl who had been raped overnight, guess who she wanted to speak to between my wife and myself? Get off your high horse and smell the coffee.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

And there lies the problem. One of my best friends, best man at my wedding has recently retired as an Assistant chief constable and he despairs at the lowering of standards and uniform that looks paramilitary. Speaking myself from first hand experience I can assure you that face to face with large crowds in very serious rioting situations, no female officers were ever involved, the professionals at the time had far more sense than to allow it.

I believe one of the ‘new’ standards now required for riot policing duties, is the ability to ‘take the knee’ in double quick order.

• Greenie 1

I am not disputing that males and females each have their own strengths and weaknesses .What I did comment on was your view that males are the professionals and take the decisions. Bully for you having a female sergeant - the second lowest rank in the Force. I bet if you had had a female above that rank you would have mentioned it on your pathetic attempt not  to show your bias. 

Not that it is relevant but I may just know a little bit more about the Police Force than you give me credit for 

Haggis

Sorry, this was in response to mrsmellys utterances above. I didn't type fast enough

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, haggis said:

I am not disputing that males and females each have their own strengths and weaknesses .What I did comment on was your view that males are the professionals and take the decisions. Bully for you having a female sergeant - the second lowest rank in the Force. I bet if you had had a female above that rank you would have mentioned it on your pathetic attempt not  to show your bias. 

Not that it is relevant but I may just know a little bit more about the Police Force than you give me credit for 

Haggis

Great, perhaps we can chat about being petrol bombed in the 81 riots? or do you mean you know someone who sat at a desk? or did you get petrol bombed? Part of my pension was attributed to that amongst other things. Men and women are completely different and perform better at certain tasks and thats the truth of it, the police women I worked with were great but they wouldnt have thanked you for putting them in a psu.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Great, perhaps we can chat about being petrol bombed in the 81 riots? or do you mean you know someone who sat at a desk? or did you get petrol bombed? Part of my pension was attributed to that amongst other things. Men and women are completely different and perform better at certain tasks and thats the truth of it, the police women I worked with were great but they wouldnt have thanked you for putting them in a psu.

Stop digging your hole Tim

No one is arguing that males and females have strengths and weaknesses!! Except you seem to think that the professionals are males ?. I quite agree that physically females are not as strong as males and I have never said or implied otherwise. 

What was the term which used to be used for males who thought that females were the inferior sex? Was it MCP ?

Haggis

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

No one is arguing that males and females have strengths and weaknesses!! Except you seem to think that the professionals are males ?. I quite agree that physically females are not as strong as males and I have never said or implied otherwise. 

What was the term which used to be used for males who thought that females were the inferior sex? Was it MCP ?

Haggis

Ahh now I see the mix up. I was responding to another poster who used the term professionals in his post that's why I responded as I did. ?

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh now I see the mix up. I was responding to another poster who used the term professionals in his post that's why I responded as I did. ?

Ok, as long as we agree that while males  are generally physically stronger than females there is no way that either sex is superior or inferior we will call it quits ?

Now, if it was possible to have you no longer say that Boris of Farage  is a top guy, I would have a much nicer Christmas ?

Haggis

19 minutes ago, haggis said:

Ok, as long as we agree that while males  are generally physically stronger than females there is no way that either sex is superior or inferior we will call it quits ?

Now, if it was possible to have you no longer say that Boris of Farage  is a top guy, I would have a much nicer Christmas ?

Haggis

Lol. The politics section is fifty percent wind up lets be fair. In all honesty Boris is a buffoon but I like him as he makes me laugh and for one obvious reason. Farage is a weasel but without him the obvious reason with regards Boris would never have come to fruition. They are both politicians so neither of them could lie straight in bed as with all the rest of them. My fave ever politician was a labour politician and a woman, she was awesome.

10 hours ago, manxmike said:

I wonder how far this thread will wander?

Since it all started with the Foxes ccing, I suppose the thread could be doing something similar, it's certainly not returning to its starting point!

It may get there every 14 days.

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

My fave ever politician was a labour politician and a woman, she was awesome.

Bessie Braddock?