Responsible or Irresponsible Tier 3 Cruising?

PD1964

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I wonder how they caught the bug,

In a recent-ish live chat Colin said they had caught it from Shaun's Dad, who has since died - understandably, with all being a bit raw, they didn't give much detail, but it seemed there was a misunderstanding and they thought Shaun's Dad had anaemia, and didn't then know he had covid. The timeframe is also not absolutely clear, but this looks to have happened sometime towards the end of October.

6 hours ago, matty40s said:

That's the current advice, not the Lockdown2 advice, and certainly not Lockdown 1 advice, which was DON'T move unless you absolutely have to...water, services, health etc.

IIRC in lockdown 1 they made an 'essential' cruise from one waterpoint to the next making a journey out of it.

I like their vlogs but thought at the time they were taking the pizz.

4 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Good point. This is how they earn their keep, so theoretically as long as they don't enjoy themselves and just work then it should be ok.

I use to enjoy work, when I didn't enjoy it I looked for something else. The last thing I looked for was early retirement 

On 18/12/2020 at 21:43, PD1964 said:

Just had an alert on Twitter that @FoxesAfloat had posted. The tweet says “We’re back on the move” looking at their tweets over the last few days they seem to be moving around Leek/Staffs area which is a Tier 3 Very High area.  Looking back to previous tweets on the 14th Nov, they both had Covid-19 with Shaun having to go into hospital for treatment. With this in mind I find it totally Irresponsible and hard to believe they would risk their health to cruise a Tier 3 area. Is it me or am I missing something and they think it’s ok and their not vulnerable?

Going back to the original question, I think only Silver Foxes can answer if they are behaving responsibly or irresponsibly.

We watch all their vlogs and enjoy them. In the first lockdown they were in Warwickshire heading south and from their vlogs it looked like they were obeying all the rules by stopping for two weeks before moving to fill up, empty and stock up with food as per guidelines. From October onwards however, their activities have changed a bit although the recommended behaviour from Government/CRT has not been as 'harsh'. We saw them moored north of Braunston where they stayed for 2 weeks or so mid October – and on the volg they said they were 'waiting for someone'. After that they did a fairly quick move up to the Stoke area to get through the locks before the early November CRT winter programme. In that period between Braunston and Stoke, they interacted with a number of peeps – 'the person they had been waiting for', the tv film crew, another person seen steering the boat, Shaun's dad and they met up with the 'Minimalist' crew - ( all interpreted from what they have put on their vlog). Whilst clearly they are interacting with far more peeps than during the initial lockdown, they may well be operating within all the guidelines, particularly as the TV filming stuff is about work which you are allowed to do.

Only they know if they are flaunting the rules and having met with Shaun's dad, was that then a risk to mix with other peeps?

We have spent the last 9 months essentially isolating from as many people as we could (shops, exercise, boating etc) but in the last month I am very conscious that I have interacted with far more peeps as I have had to attend an number of work meetings and that tells me I need to be even more careful who I meet up with in the next 2-3 weeks. It is very difficult to isolate if you are working.

We all need to act responsibly if we are to kill this virus.

• Greenie 1

I think some people find it easy to forget what advice we were being given in Sept/Oct - it was all going to be over by Christmas. Alas, the advice did not tell us clearly what it was would be over by then.

I am firmly of the view that too many comments are being unreasonably critical. Some might ask themselves when they go to the shop for food whether their journey is actually necessary or if, with the use of deliveries and stockpiling they could avoid most of those trips. (In case you cannot see the smile under my mask, I am well aware of the consequences for other people of such actions! But, hey, at least we could feel self righteous)

• Greenie 2

36 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Some might ask themselves when they go to the shop for food whether their journey is actually necessary or if, with the use of deliveries and stockpiling they could avoid most of those trips. 

I think we could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times we have needed to physically go to a shop since March.

from what i remember they complied with the "rules", but instead of mooring somewhere and then cruising for services and returning to same spot, they moored somewhere went for services then found another mooring in a linear direction towards other services. so continually moving not returning to same spot?

suppose its how you choose to interpret said "rules".

we passed them moored just out of Braunston in late September on our way back to Dunchurch. they had Boating Beyond moored behind them, who shadowed them down to Etruria at least.

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I think some people find it easy to forget what advice we were being given in Sept/Oct - it was all going to be over by Christmas. Alas, the advice did not tell us clearly what it was would be over by then.

I am firmly of the view that too many comments are being unreasonably critical. Some might ask themselves when they go to the shop for food whether their journey is actually necessary or if, with the use of deliveries and stockpiling they could avoid most of those trips. (In case you cannot see the smile under my mask, I am well aware of the consequences for other people of such actions! But, hey, at least we could feel self righteous)

That's interesting, so were both the 1914-18 and the 1939-45 wars. :ninja:

Voices of the First World War: Over By Christmas | Imperial War Museums (iwm.org.uk)

BBC - WW2 People's War - It'll be Over By Christmas

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Ultimately, if anyone has an issue with what they are doing, the only real sanctions are to boycott their vlog, complain on an Internet forum,  shop them to the police or some other authority.

I don’t see that they are doing anything that risks anything or anybody, and whether they are actually breaking any rules is a moot point.

Its how they earn a living, so they are working.

They need to get to services for water, rubbish, waste disposal, and there is no rule that says you must always use the same place.

They need to get to somewhere where they can go shopping, access medical and other essential services, (see above).

Unreasonably critical may even be an understatement!

• Greenie 2

On 19/12/2020 at 16:39, big d said:

I’ve not watched their vlog, but I work making tv and was amazed to be told that during all the lock downs “tv was considered key workers” so we were able to keep making shows that were possible during lockdowns, mainly quizzes and chat shows with no audience. So if they have an actual crew with them then it will have permission. I thought it was ridiculous, there’s been so many outbreaks in tv land that have been suppressed as people need their strictly or eastenders to watch. Some one even said to me that we were being clapped for on Thursdays! I don’t agree but as I said if they have a crew and it’s for broadcast that generates income then it would be permitted.

I suppose good tv is important for keeping the masses indoors watching it?

I watch them on and off and didn't see what they did during lockdown 1. If you live aboard it is certainly within the rules to move from a town (for shops etc) to rural area (for quieter towpaths) and no reason to keep winding and returning to the same town (in some places this may represent a longer trip than continuing in the same direction. Provided you have a couple of weeks say between visits to towns you arent really likely to be spreading covid from town to town, and back then there werent tiers of higher and lower prevelance.) But I'd be surprised if following this pattern allowed them to get from the Midlands to the Thames. Unless you mean from Banbury to Oxford perhaps? Putting it that way makes it sound a smaller trip!

As for their journey from Etruria, leaving a busy urban towpath is perfectly ok. They would then need to continue to Endon for services at some point. And then Leek for the closest shops. Then Endon again...etc etc. I know to those who dont live aboard and are frustratingly stuck at home it must be annoying seeing others still able to enjoy cruising but little about this world is fair right now. ?‍♂️

Edited by Dave123

1 minute ago, restlessnomad said:

I did ask a gay friend 'who is the husband', expecting him to say 'we take turns' but he went 'its me' (coz the partner did most of the cooking and cleaning)

But you are still making the assumption that cooking and cleaning is a 'feminine' activity - something that sails close to the wind in the gender Equality part of the legislation - rather like dolls for girls at Christmas and model trucks or Lego for boys. 

1 minute ago, Mike Todd said:

But you are still making the assumption that cooking and cleaning is a 'feminine' activity - something that sails close to the wind in the gender Equality part of the legislation - rather like dolls for girls at Christmas and model trucks or Lego for boys. 

I dont, he did.

Edited by restlessnomad
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I did ask a gay friend 'who is the husband', expecting him to say 'we take turns' but he went 'its me' (coz the partner did most of the cooking and cleaning)

In my experience a male couple call each other their husband and a female couple refer to their wife, however I suppose it is a question of personal choice by the couple.

Just now, Jerra said:

In my experience a male couple call each other their husband and a female couple refer to their wife, however I suppose it is a question of personal choice by the couple.

I dont think they call each other husband & wife, it was just a stupid answer to a stupid question ( originally intended to be of sexual nature)

3 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I dont think they call each other husband & wife, it was just a stupid answer to a stupid question ( originally intended to be of sexual nature)

Sorry maybe I didn't make myself clear perhaps it would have been better to say refer to their husband/wife, rather than as seems to be a growing trend even in mixed sex couple partner.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This is why we have male and female seperated at such as running events etc in the olympics as we are most certainly NOT equal in many ways. 

Long long before women's lib and sexual equality I was brought up knowing women were "equal but different".   By that I mean both sexes should have the same respect and standing but each sex naturally had some things they were better at/more inclined to want than the other sex.   There is no higher animal that I can think of which doesn't naturally have different traits for the sexes.

For example going back to my main interest, birds in some species the male builds the nest (sometimes even nests) and the female chooses.   There are even examples where the eggs are fully incubated by the male.    Neither male or female have different standings just naturally different inclinations.

I do not accept that all jobs are capable of being done by both sexes.    To take my brothers work (firefighter can't say fireman as they aren't all men) he despaired of some of the females being able to carry a 12 stone person down a ladder.

• Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

And there lies the stupidity of such legislation. We now have a miriad of situations through life were equality is an ass. We have 6ft 4inch 18 stone burly male police ossifers locking arms with 5ft 2 inch 8 stone police girls trying to contain eeejuts. This is why we have male and female seperated at such as running events etc in the olympics as we are most certainly NOT equal in many ways. Women are way better at many things than blokes and vice versa but too many people are frightened to state facts.

Despite all the equality 'stuff' women & children still play golf of the 'Red-Tees' which are forward of the mens 'White-Tees' so women get to play a shorter course than the men. - logical really as the average female cannot hit a ball as hard and far as an average person of the male gender.