12v sockets

Ewan123

Featured Posts

Hi, I'm moderately ignorant of (but willing to learn about) electrical systems. On our recently acquired boat, there are a few of these wall sockets labelled as 12V, but with an unfamiliar appearance - is this an outdated socket type? Likely easy to replace?

The previous owners just used the 240V system with the inverter and didn't know anything about these sockets, but I'm keen to use 12V for as much as reasonably possible.

20201218_144350.jpg

Edited by Ewan123

Those were pretty much standard 12v sockets in the 80's but generally folks now use cigarette lighter plugs / sockets for low-current items (TV, phone charger, etc etc)

I have seen those plugs and sockets still available in some motorhome and caravan parts shops.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Those were pretty much standard 12v sockets in the 80's but generally folks now use cigarette lighter plugs / sockets for low-current items (TV, phone charger, etc etc)

I have seen those plugs and sockets still available in some motorhome and caravan parts shops.

Ah ok, I thought it might be something along those lines. Thanks.

21 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Clipsall?

https://leisurelines.net/adapt-it-cigar-socket-to-clipsall-type-2pin-plug-7143-p.asp

I use USA sockets for my 12V where appropriate.

I see! I think I'm inclined to replace with new sockets, assuming it will be easier for getting 12v adapters for USB charging etc.. Good to know what they actually are though.

The purists will frown on this but -

I use 3 pin 5amp round pin plugs. Wired so that the earth pin is negative and the LH pin is 12v positive. In the unlikely even tthat some tried to plug in a 24v device - nothing would happen  because the AC circuit would not be complete.

When building I found  car adaptor plugs were awkward to wire / flimsy / stuck out / exxpensive.

Nobody uses round pin plugs nowadays - reducing any risk to damage of a mains device unlikely - especially if the supply is fused 3 or 5 amp.

• Horror 1

43 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Nobody uses round pin plugs nowadays - reducing any risk to damage of a mains device unlikely - especially if the supply is fused 3 or 5 amp.

Oh yes they do for lighting.

There is a newly installed system in my loft using 5amp round pin to feed the security lights. ?

If one looks at what you need 12v for you may find that most of it will be USB chargers, hence it's better to fit 12v fed USB sockets.

Just to add the security lights were fed from 13amp sockets which is a no-no on a lighting circuit, hence the change to 5amp sockets fed from a 5amp fuse for the four.

Edited by Loddon

33 minutes ago, Loddon said:

They are still very much in use in the caravan world. IMO better than the crap cigar lighter type that I will never use.

Yep, freely available at camping / caravan suppliers like Go Outdoors, recently swapped out a 12v TV and signal booster to work with them. 

These should fit where the old ones are.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campervan-12v-Dual-Double-USB-Socket-ON-OFF-Switch-USB-Caravan-Motorhome-Sockets/352622611071?hash=item5219f20a7f:g:zFsAAOSwm29dcQYe

I think they used to do one with a cigar lighter type socket as well; no harm in asking?

51 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I think I've converted to USB for most stuff, except for 2 x TVs, 1 x Piano, 1 x Soundbar 

My TV and soundbar are 230v and because they are off at the wall when not in use the inverter comes out of hibernate as needed.

Edited by Loddon
  • Happy 1

11 minutes ago, Loddon said:

My TV and soundbar are 230v and because they are off at the wall when not in use the inverter comes out of hibernate as needed.

My stuff came with 240v power bricks, but they converted the 240V to DC, so I have been able to find DC to DC adapters to power them.

My aversion to using the inverter is because I have a Sterling inverter charger that uses over 4A when on but powering nothing. It's been useful over the years but, if I had my time again, I would have bought a different brand.

I only have one dedicated 12v socket on my boat. It's the 3 pin round type. I use it for 12v TV when I'm away from my mooring. All my other 12v consumers (lights, pumps, extractor fans, 12v stereo) are hardwired and I don't really run any other standalone 12v appliances. 

What is everyone else actually using their 12v sockets for?

I know it's more energy efficient to run a laptop direct from DC rather than running it from the inverter, but as I work on the laptop from the boat everyday I don't use it much when I'm away from the mooring. I guess DC phone charging would be more efficient than from the inverter too, but charging a phone is such a small amount of amp/hours is it really going to make that much difference to my overall battery management?

Edited by blackrose

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

DC phone charging would be more efficient than from the inverter too, but charging a phone is such a small amount of amp/hours is it really going to make that much difference to my overall battery management?

Problem for me is that even with a tablet and two phones on charge the inverter doesn't switch out of standby until the fridge kicks in and then goes off when the fridge does, so they don't properly charge. Hence the reason I use DC USB sockets

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Problem for me is that even with a tablet and two phones on charge the inverter doesn't switch out of standby until the fridge kicks in and then goes off when the fridge does, so they don't properly charge. Hence the reason I use DC USB sockets

What sort of inverter is that then that won't charge your phone until the fridge thermostat kicks in?

One of the new-fangled combis with all the bells and whistles no doubt. I know they're not new, but in my opinion they're far too complex for their own good and not fit for purpose on boats.

I just have separate charger and inverter. The inverter draws less than an amp. When it's on it's on, it doesn't draw 4 amps and if I want it to "hibernate" I switch it off. Simple is best.

Edited by blackrose

17 minutes ago, blackrose said:

What sort of inverter is that then that won't charge your phone until the fridge thermostat kicks in?

A victron multi plus combi.

It will charge them if I turn off the search mode.

Search mode uses 2/3 watt,  normal mode 8/10 watt so a saving of power over 24hrs.

where do you get a full-size 3pin round type plug these days?

at the foot of the bed on our boat is a 12v 3pin round type socket, i’m assuming it once upon a time powered a 12v tv.

i got a 3pin round type to lighter socket adapter from Midland Chandlers, but the plug is half the size!?!

5 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

at the foot of the bed on our boat is a 12v 3pin round type socket, i’m assuming it once upon a time powered a 12v tv.

i got a 3pin round type to lighter socket adapter from Midland Chandlers, but the plug is half the size!?!

I have a box full of new 5A round pin plugs to BS546.  Toolstation, Farnell, lighting spares etc sell them.

7 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

There are 3 sizes of round pin the largest of which is 15amp about the same size as a 13amp, then 5amp which is considerably smaller and then a baby one which is 2amps. Generally 5amp ones are used on boats.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-AMP-ROUND-PIN-PLUG-UNFUSED-/162095117882?

• Greenie 1