Looked like a good idea but then I thought where would I use it

Paul Gwilliams

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

Saw this on nauticalia website, after my initial "that looks handy then I thought where would i use it

image.png.f16438a5ce71a25ff48510298adabc33.png

https://www.nauticalia.com/tools-gadgets/workshop/flexible-spirit-level91761/

And what if your drain pipe is even slightly bigger?

Looks like a solution looking for a problem to me.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Slim said:

Can't help but feel that with 6 hinges over about 600 mm accuracy would not be that good.

Probably "good enough" (says he as an "Approximate Carpenter") if you're putting shelf brackets either side of a pipe or piece of trunking?

Although I'd cut the aperture in the shelf, then put a level on the shelf and use that to mark the brackets...

30 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I find an inclinometer quite useful. Here's one I installed a couple of years ago (not on my boat) when taking the mud.! Enabled us to compare the angle of settle at successive low tides (Dartford).

dsc_3492.jpg

You can also use a similar device to tell you if someone has got on your boat in the middle of the night to untie your ropes. Especially if you have something for the weight to clank against

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I find an inclinometer quite useful. Here's one I installed a couple of years ago (not on my boat) when taking the mud.! Enabled us to compare the angle of settle at successive low tides (Dartford).

Here's mine. I find it handy for checking if my desk is horizontal.

PXL_20201218_151935595.jpg

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Very impressive. On the subject of pointless gadgets, my son sent me this video that he came across recently (and I think used in his work as a maths teacher).

It's a short step from there to a bollard which moves to catch a thrown rope...

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

It's a short step from there to a bollard which moves to catch a thrown rope...

It's been done. Here's the electromagnetic mooring system installed for the new Woolwich Ferries...  The big blue things on the pontoon. They find the boat and grab hold of it.  The design allows for large lorries stopping and starting (conservation of momentum and all that).

dsc_8892.jpg