Disposal of pump out holding tank

Bluebell and lunar

Featured Posts

Hello boaters. I am planning on removing my pump out toilet and tank to replace with a compost toilet. I'm aware that this is going to be a very unpleasant job and am preparing myself for a few challenges but my main concern is how to dispose the plastic holding tank, once it's removed? 

Can you take it to a household recycling centre or is it classed as hazardous due to its previous contents? I rang CRT and they couldn't help, I then spoke to local council and they didn't really understand what a holding tank was! 

If anyone has experience in removing a holding tank, any advice would be appreciated. 

1 minute ago, Bluebell and lunar said:

Hello boaters. I am planning on removing my pump out toilet and tank to replace with a compost toilet. I'm aware that this is going to be a very unpleasant job and am preparing myself for a few challenges but my main concern is how to dispose the plastic holding tank, once it's removed? 

Can you take it to a household recycling centre or is it classed as hazardous due to its previous contents? I rang CRT and they couldn't help, I then spoke to local council and they didn't really understand what a holding tank was! 

If anyone has experience in removing a holding tank, any advice would be appreciated. 

I have no experience of this.   However as many people find putting waste from a composting toilet into rubbish bins I would have thought well cleaned out it could have gone to "the tip".    I am sure somebody will come along and say not they aren't accepted.

I don't suppose you want to have this question asked.

"Where do you expect to keep the Loo contents, whilst they compost down, and how do you propose to use the composted material?"

If you haven't thought this over, it might be better to hold on to the pump out system.

Bod

I emptied mine [plastic/glass fiber] and left it insitu for about 12 months after sealing all the holes/pipework. I removed the toilet bowl and associated pipe and electrical fittings and installed its replacement. After last lock down I took the tank out and took it to my local council tip and disposed of it. No problems, no smell and no mess.

Good Luck

stay safe

13 hours ago, Bod said:

I don't suppose you want to have this question asked.

"Where do you expect to keep the Loo contents, whilst they compost down, and how do you propose to use the composted material?"

If you haven't thought this over, it might be better to hold on to the pump out system.

Bod

My local park has dog compost bins. They are basically, strategically placed wheelie bins dug into the ground for there poop. I'll take my bag a business there. They will then use it for soil in the park.

1 hour ago, Bluebell and lunar said:

My local park has dog compost bins. They are basically, strategically placed wheelie bins dug into the ground for there poop. I'll take my bag a business there. They will then use it for soil in the park.

You must be a permanent moorer then - that makes life a bit easier for you.

When you cruise, it becomes a case of having to keep buckets of the 'stuff' under your bed for 6 months until it dries out.

2 hours ago, Bluebell and lunar said:

That's interesting! Is the dog poo put in the compost bins in poo bags or loose? I can't see poo bags composting down before the bin gets full . I know of  dog owners who have buried bins in their gardens and the poo is lifted on a shovel and put in. Even with just two or three dogs, I understand the bins fill up quite quickly. Interested to hear about a local authority using this method. 

haggis

42 minutes ago, haggis said:

That's interesting! Is the dog poo put in the compost bins in poo bags or loose? I can't see poo bags composting down before the bin gets full . I know of  dog owners who have buried bins in their gardens and the poo is lifted on a shovel and put in. Even with just two or three dogs, I understand the bins fill up quite quickly. Interested to hear about a local authority using this method. 

haggis

my mum got one of those in the 80's for our two dogs, basically required a four foot square hole digging, stones lining the bottom and sides, then it was a sort of bucket in the bottom with a second mesh bucket on top. Idea being an amount of water and "solvent" went in the bottom bucket, you slid in the dog eggs and let the chemicals break it down, then you tipped in a bucket of water that made the mush rise and filter through the mesh and stones. Add more chemicals and repeat.

Sounded good in principle, didn't work in practice. We had to abandon its use for fear of contravening UN Resolution 1540. Think it would have been fine if you had one small dog that only took a squat once a week, it did not cope with an Airedale and a Ridgeback/Boxer cross to say the least.

It's still there somewhere under a redcurrant bush, nice surprise for someone if we ever sell the house :D 

14 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

my mum got one of those in the 80's for our two dogs, basically required a four foot square hole digging, stones lining the bottom and sides, then it was a sort of bucket in the bottom with a second mesh bucket on top. Idea being an amount of water and "solvent" went in the bottom bucket, you slid in the dog eggs and let the chemicals break it down, then you tipped in a bucket of water that made the mush rise and filter through the mesh and stones. Add more chemicals and repeat.

Sounded good in principle, didn't work in practice. We had to abandon its use for fear of contravening UN Resolution 1540. Think it would have been fine if you had one small dog that only took a squat once a week, it did not cope with an Airedale and a Ridgeback/Boxer cross to say the least.

It's still there somewhere under a redcurrant bush, nice surprise for someone if we ever sell the house :D 

I had heard they weren't a great  success which is why I am interested in a Local Authority using them and how they work. Dog poo bins always seem to smell, despite the poo being bagged  and adding human waste to the mix  will possibly make them smell more, especially in the summer ? . Nice addition to a public park! 

haggis

2 hours ago, haggis said:

haggis

It's not a local authority, its a private park, they have pop bag dispensers dotted  around the park for walkers to use and then dispose of in the compost bins.

19 hours ago, Bluebell and lunar said:

I can't see why a LA tip recycling centre won't take one as long as it is reasonably clean.

The only proviso I would add is that ours has started a book in system since re-opening after a 'covid' update and you now have to bring ID and proof of address when you turn up (To confirm you live in the correct council tax area).

If you are a live aboard and not in an area you use for an address this could be an issue.

Worth checking on the LA web site before you rock up with your tank.

PS - We had one removed but we paid somebody to do it so it's disposal became their problem. They also had to cut it in half to get it out the boat.     Yuk..

Edited by The Happy Nomad

5 hours ago, Bluebell and lunar said:

I'm not sure exactly. Takes 2 people 2 weeks to fill when on boat most of time (furloughed) when at work 3-4 weeks. 

Its not the volume or usable time I am interested in but the physical dimensions.  H x W x D