Lister gearbox

Artfull dodger

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Th3 AU- casting code is a common BMC code. The main foundry used by BMC was the old Morris foundry, which is why later castings were still carrying the " MOWOG" parts marking. The letters stand for MOrris WOlseley mG.

Lots of SU cast parts are also coded this way, SU was a division of BMC.

The BMC Newage gearboxes were built at Gorton in Manchester, this is probably one of those, often fitted to "Captain" engines, 1.5D.

Picture 2 of 3

Picture pinched of ebay listing.

for information:

that is the BMC DCC marine gearbox. Unlike the DCA and DCB both of which used sun and planet gears for reverse this one is more like a Hurth in general design but using a pair of synchromesh hubs. That means it has an automotive clutch in the bell housing.

37 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

for information:

that is the BMC DCC marine gearbox. Unlike the DCA and DCB both of which used sun and planet gears for reverse this one is more like a Hurth in general design but using a pair of synchromesh hubs. That means it has an automotive clutch in the bell housing.

Thanks Tony. I knew it was not the same box as the OP was referring to but wanted to show the difference with the early Newage box.  I have never seen a DCC in the flesh, it must predate me! 

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Thanks Tony. I knew it was not the same box as the OP was referring to but wanted to show the difference with the early Newage box.  I have never seen a DCC in the flesh, it must predate me! 

Neither have I but I doubt it pre-dates you. The BMC gearbox manual we had on the fleet had a small section on that box and I   got the impression it was mainly fitted to the six cylinder Sea Lord engine but perhaps the 3.x series as well so not really likely to appear on the inland waterways.

The one in the manual did not have that drum thing on top and was worked by a big truck of the time type handbrake lever with a clutch master cylinder on it worked by what would have been the ratchet lever.

The last one I had dealings with was via email a year or so ago on a boat in New Zealand that had flooded it with sea water and corroded the casing.

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Neither have I but I doubt it pre-dates you. The BMC gearbox manual we had on the fleet had a small section on that box and I   got the impression it was mainly fitted to the six cylinder Sea Lord engine but perhaps the 3.x series as well so not really likely to appear on the inland waterways.

The one in the manual did not have that drum thing on top and was worked by a big truck of the time type handbrake lever with a clutch master cylinder on it worked by what would have been the ratchet lever.

The last one I had dealings with was via email a year or so ago on a boat in New Zealand that had flooded it with sea water and corroded the casing.

From that description, I am glad I never came across one. I suppose we are looking at late 50s and early 60s in which case I massively predate them! So what is the big drum thing?

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

From that description, I am glad I never came across one. I suppose we are looking at late 50s and early 60s in which case I massively predate them! So what is the big drum thing?

No idea but I suspect its a bit of kit to allow single lever control. Think about a heavy steel disk with slots machined into it shaped in such a way that as the disc is turned the slots force levers connected to the selector fork and the clutch lever to move as required to disengage the clutch, move the selector and then re-engage the clutch.  I think two slots around about 2/3 of the disk with "waves" in them to work the levers. Just my thoughts, no idea if that is correct but i can't thing what else would require that shape and size. The illustration in our manual did not have that, the top of the box where the "thing" is mounted looked just like the typical (for the time) top of a vehicle gearbox with a shortened vehicle gear lever sticking up.