Canal & River Trust receives funding to help address climate challenges

Ray T

Featured Posts

PRESS RELEASE

15th December 2020

CANAL & RIVER TRUST RECEIVES FUNDING TO HELP ADDRESS CLIMATE CHALLENGES

Waterways and wellbeing charity Canal & River Trust will benefit from £2 million funding towards the many climate action and sustainability challenges its historic waterways face across England & Wales, and to support the charity in its contribution to mitigating the impacts of climate change.  The funding comes as part of People’s Postcode Lottery’s recently announced Postcode Climate Challenge initiative, through which its players have raised over £20 million for climate action.

The Canal & River Trust is facing many challenges from the changing climate.  The funding will go towards projects aimed at helping build the waterways’ resistance to climate change, support biodiversity, manage water stewardship, reduce the charity’s carbon footprint, and improve the charity’s use of materials and waste management.

Jodie Rees, corporate engagement partner at Canal & River Trust, said: “We are delighted to receive this additional funding thanks to the players of People’s Postcode Lottery, and it couldn’t have come at a better time. There is wide acceptance of the climate emergency and biodiversity crisis we are facing.

“Canals and rivers are uniquely placed to make a significant contribution to improving the wellbeing of millions of people. Climate action is an essential part of our ability to protect these precious resources now and for the future, for boaters, walkers, paddlers, anglers, cyclists and all those who value them.”

This funding brings the support the Canal & River Trust has received thanks to players of People’s Postcode Lottery over 12 months to £4.6 million. The first £2.6 million tranche of funding, which started in May, supports the Trust’s programme to enhance the nation’s wellbeing through caring for the waterways and their future, including priority infrastructure works at Castleford Weir and the Tees Barrage.

The Canal & River Trust has been supported by the players of People’s Postcode Lottery since the charity was formed in 2012 and, thanks to this fantastic help, we have received funding totalling over £13 million to support priority projects such as works at the Grade I Listed Marple Aqueduct, the Montgomery Canal restoration, and emergency repairs to the breach on the Shropshire Union Canal at Middlewich.

For more information on the work of the Canal  & River Trust including how you can donate money or volunteer your time to support the work we do visit www.canalrivertrust.org.uk

Find out more about People’s Postcode Lottery at:  www.postcodelottery.co.uk 

ENDS

For further information, please contact:

Fran Read, national press officer

e fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk  m 07796 610 427

There we go ................

£2m will go a fair way to providing electric charging bollards every 500 yards and help achieve the 'zero emission' plans.

Win Win !

(the fisher folk could even use their kettle and make a brew)

I imagine tho' in reality it will go to self-composting signs and uniforms for the staff (all bearing the new 'green' logo).

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

£2m will go a fair way to providing electric charging bollards every 500 yards and help achieve the 'zero emission' plans.

Win Win !

I imagine tho' in reality it will go to self-composting signs and uniforms for the staff (all bearing the new 'green' logo).

Oh ye of little faith. :D

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Win Win !

Charging bollards would be an excellent use of this funding,but will it happen?

Don't think they need to be every 500 yards,surely more practical at Elsan/water points.

16 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Charging bollards would be an excellent use of this funding,but will it happen?

Don't think they need to be every 500 yards,surely more practical at Elsan/water points.

How many do you install at each water/elsan point ?

How many can be moored at the water/elsan point ?

How long is the charging cable ?

The funding can be used to tarmac over all that nasty grass on the towpath. This will mean less petrol driven lawnmowers and also fewer cyclists getting in the way of motorists, so obviously "green".

...............Dave

27 minutes ago, dmr said:

The funding can be used to tarmac over all that nasty grass on the towpath. This will mean less petrol driven lawnmowers and also fewer cyclists getting in the way of motorists, so obviously "green".

...............Dave

You could be right, unfortunately 

I would hope it’s aimed at making the infrastructure more resilient. That’s what I took it to be from the headline but not all of the activities listed in the text would seem to be direct climate change impacts on CRT. I would have thought there were other funding sources and budgets for energy efficiency and cleaner energy projects.

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You could be right, unfortunately 

In fact they could infill the canals so instantly replace lots of dirty diesel engines with nice green cyclists, and turn all the back pumps off.

I do hope that CRT no longer monitor this forum or they might steal my ideas ? 

..............Dave