Grey Water Storage

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Well that is in part why it's grey water - there are similar and bigger semi-solids in black water

Don't know about other boats, but on Juno the size of the plug hole severely limits what can go down the sink

https://happydrains.co.uk/blog/diy-stopping-fat-building-drains/#:~:text=Fat%2C oil and grease can,solidify%2C eventually causing a blockage. 

just think of it a few years on in a tank

Oddly when I fitted a second water tank to Parglena 15 years ago it was built so that it could be changed to be used as a grey water tank, it's about 5/8 the size of the main freshwater tank. What with that and the second diesel tank the boat is ahead of the curve.

Just now, Loddon said:

Oddly when I fitted a second water tank to Parglena 15 years ago it was built so that it could be changed to be used as a grey water tank, it's about 5/8 the size of the main freshwater tank. What with that and the second diesel tank the boat is ahead of the curve.

It is amazing how some builder put thought into their builds and 'future proof' their boats.

On the cruiser we have from bow to stern :

650 litre potable water tank

300 litre grey water tank

300 litre back water tank

1000 litre diesel tank

Then alongside the diesel tank

2x 900 litre diesel 'wing tanks'.

Both the black & grey tanks are plumbed (both inlet and output) with 38mm 'grey plastic' standard domestic under-sink drain pipe

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is amazing how some builder put thought into their builds and 'future proof' their boats.

On the cruiser we have from bow to stern :

650 litre potable water tank

300 litre grey water tank

300 litre back water tank

1000 litre diesel tank

Then alongside the diesel tank

2x 900 litre diesel 'wing tanks'.

Both the black & grey tanks are plumbed (both inlet and output) with 38mm 'grey plastic' standard domestic under-sink drain pipe

But if it was a Narrowboat where would you put the bedroom

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But if it was a Narrowboat where would you put the bedroom

Ours is beweeen the engine and the stern of the boat - no reason why a NB cannot be the same - they used to be !

I would have thought that it was not beyond the whit of man to be able to incorporate a long, wide, shallow tank under a NB floor, (or even a couple of tanks on top of the swim).

a 2mt wide x 2mt long x 100mm depth tank would be around 400 litre capacity probably bigger than many NB fuel tanks.

39 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I'm trying to remember who has a tank like that under the floor it may be @TNC

Only in the barge x 2, they white and Green/red diesel. These are both worth while being 800l each. I would not have thought it worth while on a narrowboat, unless in engine room of a trad.

5 minutes ago, Neil TNC said:

Only in the barge x 2, they white and Green/red diesel. These are both worth while being 800l each. I would not have thought it worth while on a narrowboat, unless in engine room of a trad.

For the 'average' NB using 1.5 litres per hour and running 15-20 hours per week they could utilise a much smaller tank for propulsion : 100 litres would probably last a month.

If the 'small tank' was used just for domestic use then it would (maybe) last even longer.

Whichever turned out to be the largest consumer (propulsion or domestic) could just use the original 'big-tank'. 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ours is beweeen the engine and the stern of the boat - no reason why a NB cannot be the same - they used to be !

I would have thought that it was not beyond the whit of man to be able to incorporate a long, wide, shallow tank under a NB floor, (or even a couple of tanks on top of the swim).

a 2mt wide x 2mt long x 100mm depth tank would be around 400 litre capacity probably bigger than many NB fuel tanks.

What is the typical distance between floor supports? Might need to re-design the hull from scratch to make underfloor tanks load bearing and stiffener.

10 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Well that is in part why it's grey water - there are similar and bigger semi-solids in black water

Don't know about other boats, but on Juno the size of the plug hole severely limits what can go down the sink

The activity known as waffle stomping would compromise the grey water..........

9 hours ago, Neil TNC said:

Exactly how it was done on the GUCCC boats (with a triangular upstand section of tank in the front corners of the engine room.)