Suitable vent?

Featured Posts

Good morning,  I’m after a vent to cover my compost loo outlet. 
it’s around 80mm ( diameter round hole) and at a slight angle on the hull so needs to be flattish and rain proof? 
just wondering if anyone had any suggestions? 
many thanks. 

Edited by Polishicebreaker

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Pipe it up thru the roof and use a 'standard' mushroom on top.

Whereas I agree with Jen above from the point of praticalities, that was not your question....

Thus the next comment is - (somehow) run the vent pipe up to the roof with a mishroom vent on top - my additional siggestion is if there's no extraction fan, then fit one either at the loo level (easier to run cables) or as I've done with my pumpout loos, fit the fan in the mushroom vebt / roof space.

Back in the days when my boat had a composting loo, before I saw the light and went cassette, the evaporation vent pipe went to the roof. On this was fitted a spinning chimney cowl of this type to help it along. It worked OK, till a low tree branch knocked it in the cut. Stainless steel, so the magnet never found it.

Jen

On 14/12/2020 at 12:58, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Back in the days when my boat had a composting loo, before I saw the light and went cassette, the evaporation vent pipe went to the roof. On this was fitted a spinning chimney cowl of this type to help it along. It worked OK, till a low tree branch knocked it in the cut. Stainless steel, so the magnet never found it.

Jen

On 14/12/2020 at 12:18, OldGoat said:

Whereas I agree with Jen above from the point of praticalities, that was not your question....

Thus the next comment is - (somehow) run the vent pipe up to the roof with a mishroom vent on top - my additional siggestion is if there's no extraction fan, then fit one either at the loo level (easier to run cables) or as I've done with my pumpout loos, fit the fan in the mushroom vebt / roof space.

Thanks, could do that although already a hole in side of the boat so would prob make more sense to stick with side 

On 14/12/2020 at 12:18, OldGoat said:

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Yes and no. Yes it was a joke, but it is also what I did with the composting bog on my boat.

Ah no worries!  My neighbours have a cassette thing and I really feel for them. I guess that was the only option at one point or chuck it in the canal 

....or why not instead of venting to the outside, vent to the inside via a charcoal filter. Lots of peeps seem to be saying that reduces all smell to level where it doesnt smell.

Looking at various reviews of peeps who have composting toilets, one recurring problem is that when vented to the outside and one goes into the bathroom and turns the extraction fan on, the bathroom extraction fan is usually far more powerful than the fan in the toilet so smells from the toilet are pulled into the bathroom.

If you vent to a charcoal filter in the bathroom (or near the bathroom), the extraction fan will not pull the smells out. It is interesting to compare reviews of composting toilets that vent in the two different ways.

35 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

....or why not instead of venting to the outside, vent to the inside via a charcoal filter. Lots of peeps seem to be saying that reduces all smell to level where it doesnt smell.

Looking at various reviews of peeps who have composting toilets, one recurring problem is that when vented to the outside and one goes into the bathroom and turns the extraction fan on, the bathroom extraction fan is usually far more powerful than the fan in the toilet so smells from the toilet are pulled into the bathroom.

If you vent to a charcoal filter in the bathroom (or near the bathroom), the extraction fan will not pull the smells out. It is interesting to compare reviews of composting toilets that vent in the two different ways.

I thought they were supposed not to smell, that's whats so great about them