Narrowboat collars - are they all 5 inch ID?

Featured Posts

Just bought a new stove with a 5 inch Flue. I have scoured the net for a collar that will accept it. I've even scoured my local chandler's. It seems that a narrowboat with 6 inch Internal diameter just doesn't exist. 

Anyone else got a flue of 5 inches or larger? How did you get around this issue?

Edited by EdwardMeades

3 minutes ago, EdwardMeades said:

I haven't managed to find anything over 5", do you know anywhere that stocks them in all sorts of sizes?

I had a struggle - and that was approaching 30 years ago - I wanted an offset type and that was even more difficult.

Life's a B....

You could use a reducer adaptor.  5 to 4.5" wouldn't be too drastic - the flue would still draw OK, and might even be better.  This eBay seller for example has a good selection (but all in metric - get your converter out!) but there are many others. 

Just remember that if using an adaptor, the upper pipe goes into the lower.

14 hours ago, EdwardMeades said:

Surely it can only go in one way round?

No.   You could wrongly think that the upper should fit over the lower (as I have seen advocated even here)  and buy an adaptor appropriate to that.  Ditchcrawler gives the reason for the correct arrangement.   All connections should be a tight push fit, but if this is not possible then high temperature sealant should be used.

I just welded in a short section of thick walled pipe for my 6" dia flue. I can't remember what diameter it was. I think it's about 6 &3/4"

It's been fine over the past 15 years despite what some on here said. It's about 8mm wall thickness so I can't see why I'd ever need to replace it, but if I did I'd just cut of off and grind it flush on the outside and drop in a standard collar.