What's the fuss?

tehmarks

Featured Posts

On 14/12/2020 at 20:46, dmr said:

CRT do not do chaperones. Its a lot of locks to do in a day and a CRT volunteer is a big help, but it is just a volunteer to help with the locks, though with extensive knowledge of the channel profile through the narrow and shallow bits. Earlier this year many locks had padlocks on them and the volunteer would lock and unlock these. CRT initially said this was due to increased vandalism but another theory is that it was just gate leakage, nobody did the flight during lockdown so the gates dried out.

Outer Manchester is the bad bit, Rochdale itself is relatively tame if uninspiring, and the bit in between (Slattocks) is a fine flight of locks.

Its a rough area and there is always a small chance of trouble but the lock keeper is not going to act as a policeman.

....................Dave

Ah yeah I meant that you apparently have to book and have a CRT bod follow you along helping. I was hoping to go that way this year but doubt the Calder and Hebble will be fixed so not an option :(

3 hours ago, dmr said:

You could do the Rochdale and Huddersfield Narrow ring, hard work but an adventure. Always a risk of stoppages so don't do it if time is tight.

..................Dave

We did it (enthusiastically!) in 10 days, great trip ?

7 hours ago, Dave123 said:

I'm worried I won't get through Standedge this time now I have had solar panels fitted. And would be approaching either from the east any way...

Depends how the panels are fitted. Height is not the main issue it's how close to the edges of the roof. I had a GPS aerial which was about 9" high but as it was in the centre of the roof it wasn't a problem. Do your solar panels swivel and can be lowered? You can check the dimensions before going. Having said that a local CaRT manager told us if there's no major holdups over the winter Figure of Three may be open to assisted passage by late April.

On 16/12/2020 at 18:19, Midnight said:

Depends how the panels are fitted. Height is not the main issue it's how close to the edges of the roof. I had a GPS aerial which was about 9" high but as it was in the centre of the roof it wasn't a problem. Do your solar panels swivel and can be lowered? You can check the dimensions before going. Having said that a local CaRT manager told us if there's no major holdups over the winter Figure of Three may be open to assisted passage by late April.

Oh that's good news. Spending next year going round the top on the L&L west to east and wanted to do the smaller Pennine ring too. I just don't fancy reversing back down from the Marsden portal to the first winding hole if I dont fit. It was tight the last 2 times I did it which was without panels. But they are the fixed sort that can be lowered a bit...?