Where is this and what type of vessel?

Steilsteven

Featured Posts

It does look like some of the boats used on the F&CC and Union Canal. I am pretty certain it is not a Lancaster boat, as all the images I have show them as having a square stern and a simple square rudder, nor do they have a raised cutwater on the stem. The photo from Summerlee Heritage shows a similar scow.

8.jpg

4 hours ago, Pluto said:

It does look like some of the boats used on the F&CC and Union Canal. I am pretty certain it is not a Lancaster boat, as all the images I have show them as having a square stern and a simple square rudder, nor do they have a raised cutwater on the stem. The photo from Summerlee Heritage shows a similar scow.

8.jpg

I think you're right, everything matches up more or less. Any idea of the location?

Keith

20 hours ago, Steilsteven said:

I think you're right, everything matches up more or less. Any idea of the location?

Keith

I've never known me to be anything but right, honest! Waterways Journal 10 has an article about boats on the central Scottish waterways, with the caption for the photo I put up suggesting that the location was Provan Hall Colliery on the Monkland Canal. I don't know the Scottish canals well enough to be certain about your photo, but my feeling would be the Union Canal, though my rightness may be suspect in this case.

• Greenie 1

On 14/12/2020 at 16:03, magnetman said:

That high ground on the right looks ideal for a motorway 

Maybe here? 

https://goo.gl/maps/5hRcJ3tyoBUSKfR98

Strangely enough, that was the location that occurred to me. Almond Aqueduct round the corner, and M8 to the left. Need to do a recce to check the skyline, though.

You can 'walk' the towpath with Google maps, but much has changed since 1952 and I'm blessed if I can find a similar view. Canal is narrower, the hedgerow massive.

Could the image be transposed I wonder? Though approaching from the other side doesn't help.

Edited by Derek R.

16 hours ago, Iain_S said:

Strangely enough, that was the location that occurred to me. Almond Aqueduct round the corner, and M8 to the left. Need to do a recce to check the skyline, though.

Towpath is on the wrong side for my original suggestion so how about here instead. At least the towpath is the right side. 

https://goo.gl/maps/baTtAcNCnbMSBuVCA

I've never been there was just using Google maps and thinking about the nice curve in the cut being a feature. 

Only trouble with that location is that the ground does not drop away on the right. It's level with the canal.

I think it is closer to the Cliftonhall Road aqueduct here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.9238751,-3.4159731,3a,75y,67.03h,88.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5dYVA0t86UMTIEwG3IPYYA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It's hard to see the ground dropping away due to the much more advanced tree and arborial growth and the canal does look so much narrower than the original.

Best I can come up with.

The image in the  RCHS Collection

It is always helpful to get opinions as to mis captions, although this one appears correct.

69295.jpg

Examples of this collection include

East end of Almond Aqueduct by water intake

G.C W. Wheeler

Dry Dock West end of Avon Aqueduct

G.C W Wheeler

Bow Hauling east of Almond Aqueduct

G.C W Wheeler

Old Entrance to 11 Locks at Falkirk

G.C W. Wheeler

Tunnel at Falkirk

G.C W. Wheeler