Gravy in the Bilge

MarkCC

Featured Posts

Hi

Hope someone can help identify the weird recent occurrences of gravy like liquid in my bilge. 

A few weeks ago I noticed it. Cleared it all out but its quickly returned. Its a cruiser stern deck so water isn't uncommon. 

Its not in the isolated section directly under the engine. 

If relevant its a 1.5 bmc engine. 

Thanks in advance. 

Screenshot_20201212-134803_Gallery.jpg

A very messy bilge. Your engine tray has a lot of oil in it looking at your picture. That mess elsewhere looks like a nasty mixture of water, oil, grease and degreaser or detergent that has created an emulsion.

Could I suggest that you clean out the whole lot without polluting the canal then you may be able to see where it is coming from?

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 2

25 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

A very messy bilge. Your engine tray has a lot of oil in it looking at your picture. That mess elsewhere looks like a nasty mixture of water, oil, grease and degreaser or detergent that has created an emulsion.

Could I suggest that you clean out the whole lot without polluting the canal then you may be able to see where it is coming from?

?

Edited by Leggers do it lying down

25 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Beaten to it,

1 minute ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

?

And me

• Happy 1

34 minutes ago, MarkCC said:

Any idea why the stern gland grease would be getting into the water? 

It could well be that your stern gland needs either tightening or repacking. If you keep greasing the gland,  the grease will come out of the prop shaft end when running and spray on the sides and into the water below.

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It could well be that your stern gland needs either tightening or repacking. If you keep greasing the gland,  the grease will come out of the prop shaft end when running and spray on the sides and into the water below.

AND if you're not using lyophobic grease (which is the correct type to use), but 'ordinary, cheap stuff - then it will mix with water and give you the soup effect...

Thanks for the helpful comments. 

I am a little bit over zealous at giving it a twist after any engine use. 

I'm using morris k99  seems to be the standard. 

She is coming out of the water in January so will get the packing looked at. 

Screenshot_20201212-151805_Gallery.jpg

17 minutes ago, MarkCC said:

I'm using morris k99  seems to be the standard. 

She is coming out of the water in January so will get the packing looked at. 

Morris is good.

You don't have to wait until January, you can do it whilst it's in the water.

40 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Morris is good.

You don't have to wait until January, you can do it whilst it's in the water.

I was just looking at the instructions it seems simple enough but for 1st time I'd rather the chances of me messing up were reduced, 

Whilst you are at it, the taper pin or shear pin sticking out of the side of the shaft flange for the flexy coupling needs trimming off.  As it is the flange is well out of balance and will be vibrating  the shaft. That is not good for the gearbox back bearing,  the shaft packing or the shaft bearing, especially as it is not obvious that there is a reduction gearbox in the set up.

N

2 hours ago, BEngo said:

Whilst you are at it, the taper pin or shear pin sticking out of the side of the shaft flange for the flexy coupling needs trimming off.  As it is the flange is well out of balance and will be vibrating  the shaft. That is not good for the gearbox back bearing,  the shaft packing or the shaft bearing, especially as it is not obvious that there is a reduction gearbox in the set up.

N

Sounds like you want to pop by? 

Had 4 different mechanical type folks in there doing stuff recently no one else commented. I suppose most folks you employ are only interested in doing the job they are sent to do. 

Gear box was fitted this summer cant remember the make but I think its 2:1 ratio if that makes sense. 

Thanks again 

37 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I'd like to see a bit of bolt sticking out of the ends of the self-locking nuts on the flex coupling rather than those stacks of washers.  I would check that the coupling bolts stay tight. 

When I was working I expected at least two threads to show through a self-locking nut.  I also expected a new self-locking nut every time.  We had standards in railway land despite being sold off.

• Greenie 2

24 minutes ago, Grebe said:

When I was working I expected at least two threads to show through a self-locking nut.  I also expected a new self-locking nut every time.  We had standards in railway land despite being sold off.

Me too, not to see a thread on any of the bolts visible makes me wonder. And what on earth are all those washers for? The shaft will slide to adjust reach.

29 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Me too, not to see a thread on any of the bolts visible makes me wonder. And what on earth are all those washers for? The shaft will slide to adjust reach.

Unless the clearance between the prop boss and the stern tube is critical. Point to check out in January.