No Births On Christmas Day This Year

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

I'm pretty good at proof reading, so find simple mistakes annoying.  I find it remarkable that mistakes like this can pass so many people and still go through.

A few years ago signs were put up on the culvert access gates on the Llangollen canal saying "No public rightaway".   I wondered just how many people this had passed through without it being spotted or, more likely,  couldn't be bothered to correct it.

It is an appalling reflection of the standard of people employed by the Trust.

Edited by dor
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Proof Reading was a high pressure job at big printing firms, sadly most were phased out in favour of someone else of a lesser wage doing the checking. Why pay all that money for someone to sit and read stuff?

I used to hate R&A season, pages and pages of figures, often with masses of "alts" to do when someone figured the sums didn't add up, having to explain why that one sentence they want to insert on one page would change the entire document as it pushed things onto different pages, spending hours on it knowing full well it would be back the next day with more changes.

I do remember we nearly had an expensive mistake when the apprentice did some alts to some food packaging last minute and wasn't too hot at spellchecking.

Although it would have been fun to see the freezers in Farmfoods stacked with boxes of Jam Rolly Ploy :D 

Proof reading doesn't always help. Many years ago when I worked for Fujitsu there was a full-page advert in Electronics Times (weekly trade paper) which right across the top had FUJTISU in two-inch high red capital letters (the company logo at the time). I took it round the office and showed it to everybody, told them there was a spelling mistake and invited them to find it -- and not a single person out of about thirty succeeded, even having been told it was there. Neither presumably did the people who must have proof-read the advert before it went to press, or indeed those at the paper who accepted it.

The eye and brain are very good at seeing what they expect to see, including mising speling misstakes ?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

Proof reading doesn't always help. Many years ago when I worked for Fujitsu there was a full-page advert in Electronics Times (weekly trade paper) which right across the top had FUJTISU in two-inch high red capital letters (the company logo at the time). I took it round the office and showed it to everybody, told them there was a spelling mistake and invited them to find it -- and not a single person out of about thirty succeeded, even having been told it was there. Neither presumably did the people who must have proof-read the advert before it went to press, or indeed those at the paper who accepted it.

The eye and brain are very good at seeing what they expect to see, including mising speling misstakes ?

that's an impressive cock-up, company logo's are nearly always separate .eps/.jpg files, so somebody would have to have gone and deliberately edited it

2 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

that's an impressive cock-up, company logo's are nearly always separate .eps/.jpg files, so somebody would have to have gone and deliberately edited it

I know -- I wonder how many times it had already been used?

It had probably been put together by somebody in the PR department in Japan, it's even harder to spot a typo in a second language.

P.S. logos... ?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

It had probably been put together by somebody in the PR department in Japan, it's even harder to spot a typo in a second language.

P.S. logos... ?

.................   or rather a foreign script.

• Greenie 2

Our local Tesco displayed a large printed sign in their drinks department advertising "Wines for every palette". I assume their customers were a bunch of artists, though which type of artist I couldn't say.

23 minutes ago, Athy said:

Our local Tesco displayed a large printed sign in their drinks department advertising "Wines for every palette". I assume their customers were a bunch of artists, though which type of artist I couldn't say.

perhaps they were appealing to bulk buyers who also can't spell :D 

Pallet of white wine at Casal Santa Maria, Colares, Portugal Stock Photo -  Alamy

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, IanD said:

P.S. logos... ?

We commissioned an App to be distributed to the general public. Software was written in (I think) Asia

What we received was generally functional but the menu's were not quite right; specifically it's standard that a list of options doesn't have full stops. The software as supplied had: -

• Option A.
  • Option B.
  • Option C.

and so on.

We fed comments back to the developer and received version two: -

• Option A (no full stop)
  • Option B (no full stop)
  • Option C (no full stop)
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

Proof Reading was a high pressure job at big printing firms, sadly most were phased out in favour of someone else of a lesser wage doing the checking. Why pay all that money for someone to sit and read stuff?

I'd be hopeless at it.

I have a bad habit of reading what should be there rather than what actually is there. Hence I invariably edit my posts on here. I read them before posting and then immediately after I have posted I notice I've missed a word out or inserted one twice.

29 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

We commissioned an App to be distributed to the general public. Software was written in (I think) Asia

What we received was generally functional but the menu's were not quite right; specifically it's standard that a list of options doesn't have full stops. The software as supplied had: -

• Option A.
  • Option B.
  • Option C.

and so on.

We fed comments back to the developer and received version two: -

• Option A (no full stop)
  • Option B (no full stop)
  • Option C (no full stop)

Did you also receive back menus (no apostrophe)?  ?  

Actually, to be fair and also referring to an earlier post, plurals of words ending in a vowel were usually apostrophised in the 18th and 19th centuries, and the pioneer lexicographer Samuel Johnson always used apostrophes in such plurals and condemned their omission.

With regard to the OP, it appears that no-one has even considered the possibility that someone at CRT has a sense of humour?

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Amended that for you.

Who's counting? I can't be arsed!

1 hour ago, dor said:

>>"No public rightaway". <<

I wonder what they think the Local Authority abbreviation "PROW" means? If they call it a "PR" it will must be causing even more confusion!

Edited by Machpoint005

57 minutes ago, Athy said:

I know we have to bring our own bags, but bring our own palette? Somebody expects us to buy an awful lot of wine.

7 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Samuel Johnson always used apostrophes in such plurals and condemned their omission.

He didn't have many compliments for the Scots, though, did he?

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

Who's counting? I can't be arsed!

That, is of course, your perogative.

Personally I think that a public facing company should set (and achieve) certain standards.

No doubt you'd be happy to go back to the education experiment of the 60's where children were taught to spell via symbols and a new alphabet called the 'Teaching Alphabet' - it was a disaster and it took my younger sister years to catch up with others in the peer group who had not been in the trials.

It is interesting to look back :

Do you know what this says ?

A sample sentence in ITA

BBC News | UK | Educashunal lunacie or wizdom?

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Personally I think that a public facing company should set (and achieve) certain standards.

No doubt you'd be happy to go back to the education experiment of the 60's where children were taught to spell via symbols and a new alphabet called the 'Teaching Alphabet' - it was a disaster and it took my younger sister years to catch up with others in the peer group who had not been in the trials.

It is interesting to look back :

Do you know what this says ?

A sample sentence in ITA

BBC News | UK | Educashunal lunacie or wizdom?

I got 

The ice angel gave the owl a......

Then had to cheat and look at the article where the answer is for the last word.

I was wondering what was wrong with the statement "teaching alphabet"   it has taken a lot of brain wracking to remember we knew it as ITA (Initial teaching alphabet)

Out of the 34 primary schools which fed kids to the secondary where I worked at the time only 1 tried it and then not for long.  About one years intake suffered it as I recall.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

:

It's lucky that you don't work for one, then.

:P

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

I was wondering what was wrong with the statement "teaching alphabet"   it has taken a lot of brain wracking to remember we knew it as ITA (Initial teaching alphabet)

Ah, the dreaded ITA - thankfully consigned to the educational dustbin alongside ESN, RSA and doubtless many more.

Edited by Athy

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's lucky that you don't work for one, then.

:P

Ah, the dreaded ITA - thankfully consigned to the educational dustbin.

I hope that the contemporaneous SMP (Schools Mathematics Project) was also consigned to somewhere unmentionable a long time ago!

Edited by Athy
To correct typo in quotation.
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You appear to be the only one who noticed and passed (past) the test.

Ah, it was a bated trap for the unweary!

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I know we have to bring our own bags, but bring our own palette? Somebody expects us to buy an awful lot of wine.

But the paint would spill when you placed the cases of wine on it.

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I got 

The ice angel gave the owl a......

Then had to cheat and look at the article where the answer is for the last word.

I don't know where to find the article in question, so I guessed "gave the owl a ring".

However, it dates from the days before most owls had mobile phones, so it can't be right.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You simply had to click the link I had included in the post.

Spelling I'm quite competent at. I.T. ability, on the other hand.....but, gosh, I see that I guessed correctly. I don't do the National Lottery, but I shall now expect a Premium Bonds cheque to arrive this month.

Edited by Athy