Taking narrowboat from West Byfleet to Shepperton Marina

Philip

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mike on the Wey said:

Today is fine as far as the Thames - the Wey has dropped off, with only the middle section (Triggs to Worsfold) still in flood. And that is because Triggs Lock with its multiple paddles in the lower gates is used as an overflow weir in flood conditions, as there is only a bywash there rather than a proper weir. So the Wey is back to its lovely benign self. 

But the Thames is red in Sunbury Reach with the reaches either side increasing and lots of red upstream. Flows (cubic metres per second) are currently 110 at Staines, 101 at Walton and 140 at Kingston. To put that into context, in a 32' narrowboat with a 27HP engine my self-imposed safe limit on the lower Thames (with plenty of experience) is 80-90 cu m/s. So you might be stuck at Pyrford and not get onto the Thames for quite a while now - definitely a few weeks, but could be a couple of months. 

I hope not, I've already paid for a mooring and crane use at Shepperton Marina; was supposed to be arriving today and leaving the boat there for 3 weeks. 

Just now, Philip said:

I hope not, I've already paid for a mooring and crane use at Shepperton Marina; was supposed to be arriving today and leaving the boat there for 3 weeks. 

Welcome to the life of boats - never buy a boat if you need to do anything on a certain day.

Try speaking to the marina - I'm sure they are used to plans changing due to floods, if the crane has had to be especially brought in for you, then it would not be unreasonable to be charged for it, but if it was 'there anyway' then you may not be charged.

5 hours ago, Philip said:

Sorry, but that is the honest reality. If it doesn't rain at all for two weeks then the Thames will steadily drop off, but the catchment area of the upper Thames is huge and it handles a massive amount of water. You wouldn't be prevented from leaving Thames Lock on the Wey, but you might be shocked at how the Thames looks when it's in flood. How big is your boat and are you experienced?

The biggest issue with getting to Shepperton in flood conditions is the turn into the marina - it isn't very wide, and is at 90º to the river. Not too bad in a shorter boat with enough power, but putting a long narrowboat into that entrance will be tricky, as will the downstream 180º turn to head towards the marina entrance against the flow. The biggest danger during a such a turn is being swept downstream sideways and unable to swing the back round to get yourself straight and facing upstream.

Is your boat light enough to be lifted out at TLC, Parvis Wharf? Colin (that is the name of the crane) can lift up to 25 tons according to their website. 

24 minutes ago, Mike on the Wey said:

Sorry, but that is the honest reality. If it doesn't rain at all for two weeks then the Thames will steadily drop off, but the catchment area of the upper Thames is huge and it handles a massive amount of water. You wouldn't be prevented from leaving Thames Lock on the Wey, but you might be shocked at how the Thames looks when it's in flood. How big is your boat and are you experienced?

The biggest issue with getting to Shepperton in flood conditions is the turn into the marina - it isn't very wide, and is at 90º to the river. Not too bad in a shorter boat with enough power, but putting a long narrowboat into that entrance will be tricky, as will the downstream 180º turn to head towards the marina entrance against the flow. The biggest danger during a such a turn is being swept downstream sideways and unable to swing the back round to get yourself straight and facing upstream.

Is your boat light enough to be lifted out at TLC, Parvis Wharf? Colin (that is the name of the crane) can lift up to 25 tons according to their website. 

Bit like Keadby . . . getting stuck outside such an entrance when there is extra fresh is no joke . . . 

1 hour ago, Mike on the Wey said:

Thanks. The boat is 25ft long with a 16hp engine. I'm experienced with canals but not with fast flowing rivers and I'm new to this boat, having a steered (driven) a cruiser for the last 9 years. I did try TLC Parvis and the person I spoke to was very friendly, but the crane is booked up for a couple of months. I'll have to keep monitoring the situation and make a late mooring reservation at Shepperton once there's a green. A January lockdown will probably throw a new spanner in the works...

Edited by Philip

16 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

You can usually cut them down to fit.  Just buy the smallest width and trim them.

10 hours ago, mark99 said:

As said - buy them and trim them. Scissors and junior hacksaw. The instructions are in the blinds how to do this.

Thanks, simple enough then.

44 minutes ago, Philip said:

The boat is 25ft long with a 16hp engine. I'm experienced with canals but not with fast flowing rivers and I'm new to this boat, having a steered (driven) a cruiser for the last 9 years.

Well that's 9 years' more experience than many have before venturing out onto the Thames. It's a reasonable power to size ratio, but at the end of the day only you can make the decision whether and when to take on the trip. You need to watch the flow levels https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/ rather than the overly-simplistic red or yellow boards.

It might be worth checking again with Stuart at TLC - with Surrey moving into tier 3 from Saturday he might have a last-minute cancellation. Colin would lift your boat effortlessly.

• Greenie 1

A really simple blind solution is from Ikea. They do white or dark grey pleated blinds that have a self adhesive strip on the top to stick to the door. They can be cut to any size. They have plastic clips to hold them open. £3:50  90cm x 190cm so one will do more than your front doors.

15 minutes ago, sueb said:

A really simple blind solution is from Ikea. They do white or dark grey pleated blinds that have a self adhesive strip on the top to stick to the door. They can be cut to any size. They have plastic clips to hold them open. £3:50  90cm x 190cm so one will do more than your front doors.

Will that help him get down the Thames??

Edited by matty40s

The whirlpool created during heavy rain at the exit from the Wey mentioned before will be boiling. It's > 20 foot deep there according to an echosounder.

Prepare to be amazed by my graphics.....

Capture.JPG

Edited by mark99

12 minutes ago, mark99 said:

The graphics may be good, but the picture looks wrong.  The reach below Hamhaugh is surely the Thames, not the Wey?

On the blinds point, another option is to attach with velcro.  Works with fabric curtains as well, although you lose the pleated effect.

• Happy 1

49 minutes ago, mark99 said:

The whirlpool created during heavy rain at the exit from the Wey mentioned before will be boiling. It's > 20 foot deep there according to an echosounder.

Capture.JPG

I came out of the Wey in early 2015 after waiting months for the floods to recede. Still on Red boards, I had a 48 hour window to move it onto the GU with Brentford limited locking hours.

The fishermen along the car park side were very miffed that I shot round very close to the bank in the 40 footer(25hp).....

Fastest I have ever been on a narrowboat down to Teddington that trip!!

Edited by matty40s

16 hours ago, Mike on the Wey said:

Well that's 9 years' more experience than many have before venturing out onto the Thames. It's a reasonable power to size ratio, but at the end of the day only you can make the decision whether and when to take on the trip. You need to watch the flow levels https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/ rather than the overly-simplistic red or yellow boards.

It might be worth checking again with Stuart at TLC - with Surrey moving into tier 3 from Saturday he might have a last-minute cancellation. Colin would lift your boat effortlessly.

Thanks ?

Initially I thought 16hp for a 25ft steel narrowboat would leave it underpowered, but this is encouraging. I do have a 20hp engine in my cruiser, but this would need converting from raw water heat exchanger cooling to the standard narrowboat engine cooling, so not straightforward.

18 hours ago, Mike on the Wey said:

s your boat light enough to be lifted out at TLC, Parvis Wharf? Colin (that is the name of the crane) can lift up to 25 tons according to their website.

I might be wrong but although they can lift it I don't think it could move it onto a truck there just isn't the space when it is based. When I asked about lifting  14T at 45ft that was just on the limit.

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

The graphics may be good, but the picture looks wrong.  The reach below Hamhaugh is surely the Thames, not the Wey?

On the blinds point, another option is to attach with velcro.  Works with fabric curtains as well, although you lose the pleated effect.

Shorthand for "on exit from the Wey onto the Thames". The Thames deffo "owns" the  transient whirlpool.

17 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

I might be wrong but although they can lift it I don't think it could move it onto a truck there just isn't the space when it is based. When I asked about lifting  14T at 45ft that was just on the limit.

Pretty sure that's correct. Stuart dismissed any idea of lifting mine out. 62 foot 20 tonnes.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I came out of the Wey in early 2015 after waiting months for the floods to recede. Still on Red boards, I had a 48 hour window to move it onto the GU with Brentford limited locking hours.

The fishermen along the car park side were very miffed that I shot round very close to the bank in the 40 footer(25hp).....

Fastest I have ever been on a narrowboat down to Teddington that trip!!

It is a fast flowing section (car park) even on non red boards as the flow hugs that bank. I recall turning across to go into Shep Lock too casually and ending a long way downstream!

Edited by mark99

25 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

11 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Pretty sure that's correct. Stuart dismissed any idea of lifting mine out. 62 foot 20 tonnes.

Isn't the boat we are talking about only 25 foot ?

This could probably be lifted by a flat-back truck, with a hoist (Hiab). and loaded directly onto the truck and driven away.

Jim Ricketts Hiab Haulage - Boat Lifting Wiith Our Hiab Crane & Haulage

P&S Marine Crane - Hiab: hiab being used to lift a small narrow boat

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Thanks ?

Initially I thought 16hp for a 25ft steel narrowboat would leave it underpowered, but this is encouraging. I do have a 20hp engine in my cruiser, but this would need converting from raw water heat exchanger cooling to the standard narrowboat engine cooling, so not straightforward.

No 'problem' in using raw water  cooling (hope you mean heat exchanger fresh water cooling) on the canals or rivers - provided that the water inlet and filtration is done sensibly *.

Our boat has used such a system and has worked without problems for 20 years.

You do need a mud box (not just a manky 1" pipe) and a filter (got mine fro M.C.) to trap any crud.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

The largest I have known Stuart lift onto a truck was a 41 foot Sea Otter. There were no other boats on trestles though, so the truck was able to get sufficiently close to Colin. 

It is Jam No.6.

Tier 4 has thrown a spanner in the works as I thought it might.

Bit of a dilemma for when I take hold of it, I live in Manchester but moor my current cruiser at Barbridge; this has been a good mooring over the years but the driving there and back is becoming tiring. Somewhere closer to Manchester would be easier, but I really like the Midlands network of canals and would like to explore more of the southern waterways...Barbridge is more convenient in this aspect. 

Edited by Philip