Boat hire for big people

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

I accept most members are boat owners , and hire  infrequently, but its worth a shot . I am looking to hire a boat with both long and wide berths . 2 of our party are 6 foot 4 inches tall and of "ample girth "!  So does anyone have recommendations for a company that caters to bigger clients ? Ideally we are looking for a company based on or near the 4 counties ring , but will consider other options .  Thanks 

You could take a look at Napton Narrowboats (based at Napton unsurprisingly, and perfect location for several types including the Warwickshire ring). A number of their boats (at least the Elite class, possibly others) have a couple of king size cross beds which is as big as you'll get on a hire boat.

Dave

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, cornishdave said:

Sorry, half asleep - you wanted the Four Counties not Warwickshire! As it happens my suggestion still stands as Napton have a second base which is on the Four Counties at Autherley Junction (albeit with a slightly smaller fleet so a little less choice)

Dave

Being over 6’4 myself, I would say that a cross bed is out of the question.

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Being over 6’4 myself, I would say that a cross bed is out of the question.

They are the worst bit of kit its possible to fit on a boat. My boat is 6ft 3 inches at the highest point under the gunwhales, it 5ft 6 inches from trim to trim at the gunwhales God only knows how all but a midget ever sleeps on the damnded dreadful things. I spose for occasional use though and if you lay at an angle or chop yer feet off at the ankle? My boat is standard colecraft narrowbeam.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I think the king size cross bed referred to is actually not a cross bed but is lengthways and across the full width of the boat or most of the width of the boat.

So it's a lengthways cross-bed?

32 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I think the king size cross bed referred to is actually not a cross bed but is lengthways and across the full width of the boat or most of the width of the boat.

I'm not a gambling man, but I would have bet that a certain Oxfordshire moorer would respond to this topic!

I'm 6'0" but not overweight, and have often slept on a cross bed (in Brighton, the NBT butty, 7 feet wide) without problems. Except there was one night moored part way up the Wolverhampton 21 when the pound dried up making the boat slope sideways a bit, and I woke to find my weight pushing my head against the hull! In general, I think if I were 6'4" I could cope on a cross bed by lying a bit diagonally, but sharing it would only work with a shorter friend. If I were fat too I suppose it would get awkward.

Most modern narrowboats seem to have enough height inside to cope with folk up to 6'5", 6'6", or so, at least in the centre. American basketball players might still have to stoop. The OP mentions "ample girth", which is more likely to be a problem. I can see some of the gang ways, and doors inside being a snug fit, or worse, depending on how ample. This minimum width is the question I'd be asking hire boat companies, rather than cabin height, or bed style. Sorry, no suggestions as to company. I've not been on a hire boat in years and don't know what the layouts are now.

Jen

On 09/12/2020 at 09:33, Rob-M said:

The Napton boats referred to have king-size (5' wide) cross-beds; I know, I've hired one. Very comfortable, but a pain if you want to move along the boat when they're down. I'm 5'10" and had no problems, the shorter length was noticeable and definitely won't suit somebody 6'4" tall unless they curl up.

There are boats which have lengthwise beds which extend beyond the standard 4' wide by pulling out the mattress and dropping another narrow section in, I've found these much more comfortable for two of us than a standard 4' bed. Various hire companies do these, look for "king-size bed" in the description (but this really means a standard double not a narrow one). When they're pulled out you can still walk past with a bit more difficulty than a standard bed, so not a good idea to leave them down if they're on a heavily-used route through the boat (depends on layout).

Edited by IanD

On 09/12/2020 at 09:33, Rob-M said:

Not on the Napton boat we hired, the bed was designed to be slept in acres the boat not lengthways as the split in the mattress would have given one person a very uncomfortable ridge to sleep on

There is a Napton boat in the Elite class that has a wide berth length ways along the cabin but it's only a two berth.

The berth is fixed and is surprisingly easy to get passed so I'm surprised it's not seen more often both on hire boats (and indeed private boats too). A pity as I've just checked the dimensions and that bed is 6ft 9 inches long. I don't recall it being that long but I see no reason to doubt their web site.

Elite.JPG

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

There is a Napton boat in the Elite class that has a wide berth length ways along the cabin but it's only a two berth.

The berth is fixed and is surprisingly easy to get passed so I'm surprised it's not seen more often both on hire boats (and indeed private boats too). A pity as I've just checked the dimensions and that bed is 6ft 9 inches long. I don't recall it being that long but I see no reason to doubt their web site.

Elite.JPG

I dont know why the standard boat double is usualy 4 feet wide. My present boat built as a liveaboard by someone who actualy knew what he was doing is 6ft 6inches long by 4ft 4inches wide so only 2 inches less than a standard double width and 3 inches longer than standard double, its easy peasy to pass without any problem and a comfortable size and no messing about putting the damn thing up and down like a cross bed.

Edited by mrsmelly

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

So, apart from Napton having no vacancies when the OP wants to go and 2 berths not being sufficient for his party, pretty much a shoe-in!  I expect he's pleased! :banghead:

:giggles:

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

So, apart from Napton having no vacancies when the OP wants to go and 2 berths not being sufficient for his party, pretty much a shoe-in!  I expect he's pleased! :banghead:

:giggles:

The op has stated he will consider other options other than his first choice so I would advise that Blackrose was correct and hiring a wide boat on somewhere like the L and L for instance would be a better bet. VASTLY more comfortable and still an inland boating holiday.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

The op has stated he will consider other options other than his first choice so I would advise that Blackrose was correct and hiring a wide boat on somewhere like the L and L for instance would be a better bet. VASTLY more comfortable and still an inland boating holiday.

yes a wide beam would certainly address the situation , except the L&L is one of the 3  hires i have already done . The others being the Oxford, ( with Ashby boats ) and the GU  with Wyvern shipping , which is why the 4 counties is top of my preference list. May have to stick with the plan and readdress the dates . 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I'm sure we hired once from Ashby boats and they had the same wider bed arrangement.

Have revisited Ashby boat site and see no mention of king size beds. We hired Ashby, a 2+ 2 berth boat. it certainly had just the usual 4 foot bed. That's not to say they have not upgraded it but i doubt it. 

22 minutes ago, pomkitanner said:

Have revisited Ashby boat site and see no mention of king size beds. We hired Ashby, a 2+ 2 berth boat. it certainly had just the usual 4 foot bed. That's not to say they have not upgraded it but i doubt it. 

We have hired from Ashby too a few times. All the doubles were 4ft.