Replacing a single pole switch

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

While detaching the two wires from it, something broke inside the switch. So I decided I might as well wire in my new posh metal switch. While doing so, I got zapped from the base plate

Are you talking about 230v AC ?

You cannot easily get a 'zap' from 12v (unless you start licking the terminals)

1 hour ago, BlueStringPudding said:

I've connected the 12v live feed wire to the SUPPLY L terminal. And the pump wire to the LOAD L terminal. I've done nothing else with it. It's working fine as an isolation switch for the pump (and hasn't zapped me). Does that wiring sound okay?

Yes that's fine. The switch is designed to switch both the live and neutral wires when used on the mains, but using just the 2 live poles for your 12V positive is fine (assuming you accept the use of mains switches for 12V dc in the first place).

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Could have been a shock from static electricity. The recent cold dry weather makes it worse.

18 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Unless she was working on it live and gave the pump motor a brief power connection which (depending on pump design) could generate enough back emf to feel.

added - I bet this switch is still in use in 5 years time.  Grow to love it’s interesting aesthetics........

Edited by Chewbacka

26 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Your easily bored I see. ?

Yes,  But really, is this what we have sunk to?  Its  a switch, I've better things to occupy my time, lets move on and discuss something interesting like the day's toll of canals closed.

Like bridge 80 on the Shropshire Union,  Bennett's bridge reported as a breach now its not a breach but a leak?  What's the difference? Is it losing water? Then the canal is breached!

Aynho lock, Oxford Canal, a gate again.

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Yes,  But really, is this what we have sunk to?  Its  a switch, I've better things to occupy my time, lets move on and discuss something interesting like the day's toll of canals closed.

Like bridge 80 on the Shropshire Union,  Bennett's bridge reported as a breach now its not a breach but a leak?  What's the difference? Is it losing water? Then the canal is breached!

I just read its another culvert failure

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You are perfectly entitled to neither read nor comment if my thread is boring you. ?

You'll be disappointed to know that I will continue to post here in my own thread and tell long, winding tales of switches and wires, and the general ramblings of someone who actually enjoys learning from other forum members.

Expect questions to keep coming. Don't expect to have to answer them. 

• Greenie 4

47 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

You are perfectly entitled to neither read nor comment if my thread is boring you. ?

You'll be disappointed to know that I will continue to post here in my own thread and tell long, winding tales of switches and wires, and the general ramblings of someone who actually enjoys learning from other forum members.

Expect questions to keep coming. Don't expect to have to answer them. 

Sad, very sad.  There was no offence intended, so I am not disappointed with your response. Its not just your thread, all is shared on an open forum.

Opinions will vary as do the likes and desires of the people posting replies.   :hug:  :cheers:  :tired:

• Unimpressed 1

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If you have other things to do with your time why are posting saying you have better things to do with your time....

15 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

If you have other things to do with your time why are posting saying you have better things to do with your time....

I have no idea!  Probably because I'm bored, in pain,  its windy and I can't sleep despite being dog tired.

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have no idea!  Probably because I'm bored, in pain,  its windy and I can't sleep despite being dog tired.

Ive started drawing/sketching when Im bored. Im crap at it but it occupies my mind for hours somrtimes.