Jump to content

Mud weights


Featured Posts

Yes, quite often, on rivers in gentle currents. To moor for lunch when the banks are unsuitable or unreachable. Also to hold the downstream end of the boat steady overnight when there's only enough room left on the pontoon to tie just one end of the boat to the pontoon's downstream end. So far, totally effective every time (56lb weight similar to that in Blackrose's post above, with a 67ft narrowboat weighing about 20 tons) but I've not tried it under strong stream conditions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

Yes, quite often, on rivers in gentle currents. To moor for lunch when the banks are unsuitable or unreachable. Also to hold the downstream end of the boat steady overnight when there's only enough room left on the pontoon to tie just one end of the boat to the pontoon's downstream end. So far, totally effective every time (56lb weight similar to that in Blackrose's post above, with a 67ft narrowboat weighing about 20 tons) but I've not tried it under strong stream conditions.

Interesting. I must give it a go. So when you’ve moored up for lunch, has there been any sign of drifting?

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

On canals,drop it on the offside in case a scrote unties your mooring lines.

Good idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, XLD said:

Interesting. I must give it a go. So when you’ve moored up for lunch, has there been any sign of drifting?

Good idea.

An old trick.  Joe did it to the Catchalot on the river Bure in Arthur Ransome's book ''The Big Six''.

=====

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, XLD said:

Interesting. I must give it a go. So when you’ve moored up for lunch, has there been any sign of drifting?

Never when I've done it, but the current has always been fairly gentle.

 

My other use of it, is that when I'm travelling downstream on a relatively narrow river, my anchor is at the bow so I carry the mud weight to the stern and attach it ready for instant deployment in emergency (but I've never had to use it). My thinking is that in stronger currents it may not stop the boat but will slow it and prevent it from broadsiding while I work out my strategy for dealing with the problem.

 

Incidentally if you buy one on eBay, as I did, it's probably best not to ask for it to be posted. Cheaper to drive a long way and collect it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to use them on broads yachts. Made from concrete with bent rod for rope attatchment and scrap metal added druring casting to increase wieght. Cheap, effective, cast to size you want, and no rust weeping everywhere. Size probably more important than wieght as creates more drag.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Occasionally, on isolated bits of the Fens. I made my own using concrete. On the whole I would not recommend this, the end result is rather large and not as dense as  pig iron, and I suspect not as good as sinking into the mud (which must be a core part of how a mud weight actually grips) as a proper mud weight. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

 

As well as the uses given above, they are quite handy for adjusting lateral trim! :D

 

That was what the Avery weights on our boat were primarily used for. One 56lb on back deck and one in the bow well. On a couple of occasions when the bank was overgrown or unreachable just tied a rope on each and used them as mud weights. Only shallow, narrow canals but they were effective enough for a few hours at a time on a 60' boat.

Edited by BilgePump
Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a pleasant night tied to mud weights on the Thames in August. A lovely quiet spot with no chance of tying to the bank. Only problem was all the passing boats coming alongside to ask if we were alright.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

We had a pleasant night tied to mud weights on the Thames in August. A lovely quiet spot with no chance of tying to the bank. Only problem was all the passing boats coming alongside to ask if we were alright.

Whereabouts on the Thames? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/12/2020 at 17:55, Keeping Up said:

Yes, quite often, on rivers in gentle currents. To moor for lunch when the banks are unsuitable or unreachable. Also to hold the downstream end of the boat steady overnight when there's only enough room left on the pontoon to tie just one end of the boat to the pontoon's downstream end. So far, totally effective every time (56lb weight similar to that in Blackrose's post above, with a 67ft narrowboat weighing about 20 tons) but I've not tried it under strong stream conditions.

Same as 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.