Bilge cleaning

Scooter36

Featured Posts

Is this 5" in an engine bilge or along the full length of the boat?

5" of water throughout would be near to the floorboards and a couple of tons of water in a 15m x 1.5m ish bilge

Sorry, just seen the mention of oily water so assume just under the engine?

Edited by BilgePump

The back deck of our old cruiser stern NB used to drain down the steps into the engine. Along with drips from the stern gland and condensation, it was always some inches deep when we went to it. Would pump it out but always an inch of water and crud left in the bottom. Every now and then we'd dry it out using nappies etc, clean it and give it a repaint. 

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Stick it on the pump out.

Not really a  very environmentally responsible suggestion

Waste oils, except edible oil, are classed as hazardous/special waste and should be disposed of accordingly.

The OP should pump the oily water out into containers and dispose of it responsibly .

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, MartynG said:

Not really a  very environmentally responsible suggestion

Waste oils, except edible oil, are classed as hazardous/special waste and should be disposed of accordingly.

The OP should pump the oily water out into containers and dispose of it responsibly .

When you see the amount of oily sludge run off from highways that the sewage works happily processes you would realise that what the OP is talking of is nothing to be concerned about.

15 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

When you see the amount of oily sludge run off from highways that the sewage works happily processes you would realise that what the OP is talking of is nothing to be concerned about.

That doesn't make the intentional discharge of engine oil into a sewer or highway drain or watercourse acceptable.

I believe highway drainage doesn't normally discharge to sewage works  but may discharge to a watercourse .

Unless someone has dumped the entire sump contents into the bilge I suspect the 5" is oil floating on far more water. Pump the oil/water mix into 20/25 litre plastic containers and allow to settle. Once settled the oil will float on top of the water. Separate. How you do this depends upon what kit you have available. An easy way to do it is to use a container with a tap at the bottom. You are now left with a far more manageable quantity of oil/water that you can pour into a 5 litre can. Your local tip is at near Batchworth lock.

3 hours ago, Slim said:

Unless someone has dumped the entire sump contents into the bilge I suspect the 5" is oil floating on far more water. Pump the oil/water mix into 20/25 litre plastic containers and allow to settle. Once settled the oil will float on top of the water. Separate. How you do this depends upon what kit you have available. An easy way to do it is to use a container with a tap at the bottom. You are now left with a far more manageable quantity of oil/water that you can pour into a 5 litre can. Your local tip is at near Batchworth lock.

Get some oil absorbent cloths (Ebay) and leave them in the bilge for a few days. They will absorb the oil and diesel, but not the water. They can then be disposed of as waste.

Then put your bilge pump right on the bottom plate and pump it into clear plastic containers (so you can see if there is any oil contamination). Most of the bilge contents will be almost clean water, and can be emptied into an elsan point on mains drainage (not all are). If your oil absorbent cloths have done their job you can probably empty your bilge as low as the pump will go this way, and still get only the slightest trace of oil in the bilge water. If you encounter significant oil as the water level drops, then you may need more oil absorbent cloths, or have to dispose of the last lot removed in your local waste oil tank.

• Greenie 3

I just leave a few nappies down there permanently and pull the fat ones out as and when. Never had a problem with them disintegrating unless I've thrown them out and they've exploded on the concrete bank. That is quite messy.

I was once at a towpath mooring down in the engine hole, getting rid of some old swollen nappies and putting them onto the deck when some people walked past. I poked my head up and saw that they looked quite concerned thinking I had a baby down there!

Must say nappies are incredibly cheap .

Perhaps for those who have engine bays that are not swilling with fluids or don't want to use nappies there are pads available that will absorb oil selectively , or all fluids if preferred .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Fuel-Maintenance-Chemical-Spill-Absorbent-Pads-Workshop-Garage-Safety/111546604067?hash=item19f8b21a23:g:FWIAAOSwQJhUjrK5

The stuff inside nappies is also incredible slippy like snow/ice if it breaks open. On plywood, GRP or steel it's bloomin' lethal and they're still an environmental nightmare even if just soaking up clean rainwater. Felt guilty going through hundreds of them on a flat roof as I was putting on new boards but probably should have been more concerned about the thoughts of the young lady at the Aldi checkout one day when the trolley had in it just 3x96 nappies, a compressor and welding mask!

• Greenie 1