Engine Rooms/ Sleeping Accommodation

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

A genuine traditional style boat with a slow revving long stroke engine of some age in a proper engine room?

Yes

11 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Edited by Tonka
Multiple inputs removal

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well my wife often drys clothes over top of out engine, most days hangs her bath towel in there with no complaints 

I've fixed two brass rails to the engine room ceiling so that we can dry the washing over the engine. Only real issue is a very slight oil seepage at the lift pump that larger items like duvet covers can reach so these get a few black spots.

..............Dave

46 minutes ago, dmr said:

I've fixed two brass rails to the engine room ceiling so that we can dry the washing over the engine. Only real issue is a very slight oil seepage at the lift pump that larger items like duvet covers can reach so these get a few black spots.

..............Dave

I don't do brass, ours are chrome

CHROME WARDROBE RAIL + FITTINGS 19 or 25 mm Diameter 3/4" or 1" Clothes Rail  | eBay

10 hours ago, Tonka said:

Yes

Well I’m encouraged to have a go at cleaning my engine bilge by these stories of folk with apparently odourless engine rooms. It’s a bugger to get at because the bilge compartment is pretty much the same size as the engine.

I think it’s a reality of vintage engines that they seep diesel, oil and water and to suggest it’s a lack of maintenance that causes an old engine to smell like an old engine is uncharitable. A lack of cleaning may be an issue but if you build a bed over the engine it doesn’t lend itself to keeping the engine spotless.

It also constrains airflow around the engine which is another reason that engine smells may linger. My engine doesn’t spend the day on show through a pair of open side doors in an engine room which also ventilate the space.

I’ll stick with the advice to the OP that there is a risk his bedclothes will take on the smell of the engine room, be that diesel, oil or roses.

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Well I’m encouraged to have a go at cleaning my engine bilge by these stories of folk with apparently odourless engine rooms. It’s a bugger to get at because the bilge compartment is pretty much the same size as the engine.

I think it’s a reality of vintage engines that they seep diesel, oil and water and to suggest it’s a lack of maintenance that causes an old engine to smell like an old engine is uncharitable. A lack of cleaning may be an issue but if you build a bed over the engine it doesn’t lend itself to keeping the engine spotless.

It also constrains airflow around the engine which is another reason that engine smells may linger. My engine doesn’t spend the day on show through a pair of open side doors in an engine room which also ventilate the space.

I’ll stick with the advice to the OP that there is a risk his bedclothes will take on the smell of the engine room, be that diesel, oil or roses.

I am with you on that and as I said earlier the idea of a bed over the batteries or webasto heater and the like does not sound good to me.

3 hours ago, Traveller said:

I am with you on that and as I said earlier the idea of a bed over the batteries or webasto heater and the like does not sound good to me.

Did you pick up that I said I had a bunk inches above a big semi-vintage engine? I think it’s an odd solution for a genuine engine room but not impossible otherwise.

On 09/12/2020 at 11:30, dmr said:

..........Only real issue is a very slight oil seepage at the lift pump that larger items like duvet covers can reach so these get a few black spots.

..............Dave

Old engines don't leak....

......They're just marking their territory ?

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

A hammock

File:The Royal Navy during the Second World War A11482.jpg - Wikimedia  Commons

It’s actually a 6’ 3” x 3’ 6” bed. It’s a great space to sleep in; which is the reason it’s about the only part of the boat that will survive the in-progress refit. I toyed with the idea of ripping it out and segregating the rear 5’ of the boat as an engine room but I decided against it. I can’t fit in a permanent berth otherwise.

It’s a wide single/narrow double because that’s all that fits high up due to the tumblehome. Something else to be considered if anyone else wants to try it.

Edited by Captain Pegg