Boat Moving

Lisahall24

Featured Posts

Hi I'm looking for quotes and availability to collect my boat which is currently near Bridge 26 on the Oxford canal (coalhurst lane) and delivery to Fazeley marina (on the Coventry canal).  It’s a 50ft narrowboat. 

can anybody give recommendations please that may have immediate availability? 

17 minutes ago, Lisahall24 said:

Hi I'm looking for quotes and availability to collect my boat which is currently near Bridge 26 on the Oxford canal (coalhurst lane) and delivery to Fazeley marina (on the Coventry canal).  It’s a 50ft narrowboat. 

Are you looking for a 'delivery' by water, or, lift out and transport by road ?

48 minutes ago, Lisahall24 said:

When were you thinking? Stoppages on at the moment is it sometime next year?

29 minutes ago, Lisahall24 said:

I think transport by water.  I’m assuming that’s the cheapest option but I don’t mind either. 

CanalPlan AC says it would take 13 hours 50 minutes, so probably cheaper by water. Road becomes cheaper for long trips where the slow pace of the boat means that the crews wages exceed the cost of crane and lorry. The same calculation that largely killed off most freight transport by canal, with the exception of the Yorkshire waterways.

This is assuming it is bridge 26 on the North Oxford canal.

No idea who to suggest to do it.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

1 minute ago, Dave Payne said:

I cant see any stoppages on that route at the minute, its only two days travel anyway, its an easy route with only 14 locks, which if you take your time are not hard ones.

Quite true, my brain blanked the bridge numbers :rolleyes: Young Matty will probably be up for a short trip like that??

59 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And share the enclosed space with a covid-stranger for a couple of days.

Not really necessary to share the space - Atherstone Locks is the only 'hard' bit if singlehanded - I'm discounting Hawksbury, and that only leaves the two at Glascote to do alone. Atherstone is ideally placed as its on a major train line - more than once my wife has caught the train from MK, helped me with the locks, and back again in a very short time (for one of her interminably annoying meetings!!). She also gets bored doing the bits of canal we have done numerous times.

So if the original poster is wary of singlehanding, perhaps they have family, or a friend, who wants a few hours lockwheeling and a jolly on the train - no need to get on the boat at all.

If the original poster can't do it because of work commitments etc, ignore all the above!

9 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Not really necessary to share the space - Atherstone Locks is the only 'hard' bit if singlehanded - I'm discounting Hawksbury, and that only leaves the two at Glascote to do alone. Atherstone is ideally placed as its on a major train line - more than once my wife has caught the train from MK, helped me with the locks, and back again in a very short time (for one of her interminably annoying meetings!!). She also gets bored doing the bits of canal we have done numerous times.

So if the original poster is wary of singlehanding, perhaps they have family, or a friend, who wants a few hours lockwheeling and a jolly on the train - no need to get on the boat at all.

If the original poster can't do it because of work commitments etc, ignore all the above!

I was responding to another posters suggestion that they could get someone to 'help them' and avoid paying a professional.

I was suggesting that 'someone to help' may not be very keen to share the confines of a boat for a couple of days in the current situation.

If it is a single hander 'professional' who has help meeting at a lock' that is very different.