Mikuni MX60 burner wicks

Blazeaway

Featured Posts

Hi Folks

My Mikuni MX60 is running well and keeping us toastie warm, which is great.

The only 2 issues I have are

1.  The burning isn't as clean as I'd like, the exhaust is smokey most of time, for example on coming back to the boat in the dark you can see and smell lots of diesel smoke in torch light.

2. The exhaust noise is loud

Regarding 1. (smokey burning)

I have given the unit a good intrenal cleaning but thats made no difference.

I suspect the wicks are next thing I need to replace to see if that helps.

Firstly is that a sensible conclusion ?

Also if I go down that route what else should i be doing whilst I am at it ?

What parts should I be buying other than wicks A and B (533668 and 533669) ?

Regarding 2 Noisy exhaust

I don't appear to have an exhaust silencer (muffler). I huess that would be the first thing to fit. On checking for the part 533598A I can't find that exact part, however MV Heating list a 22mm and a 24mm muffler, will either of these fit the MX60 ?

Best regards

Frank

Mikuni_MX60-2_parts (1)-2.jpg

Mikuni_MX60-2_parts (1)-3.jpg

Mikuni_MX60-2_parts (1)-4.jpg

Mikuni_MX60-2_parts (1)-5.jpg

As these heaters are essentially for use in vehicles and subsequently modified for marine use, ensure that any parts you buy are for the marine versions.

Of particular importance is the silencer (muffler).

These units are designed for fitting in a vehicle engine compartment, under the bus, whatever. The automtive exhaust/ silencer has a drain hole in it to allow condensation, acids , gases etc to drain away under the vehicle.

On a boat this drain hole is now inside a 'sealed hull'. This drain hole will allow CO (Carbon Monoxide) to accumulate in the boat, and in the worst case you will 'wake up dead' .

It is not a problem to get the correct parts just don't buy from ebay etc, buy from a recognised reputable agent. Just ensure you tell them the application.

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, Blazeaway said:

Hi Folks

My Mikuni MX60 is running well and keeping us toastie warm, which is great.

The only 2 issues I have are

1.  The burning isn't as clean as I'd like, the exhaust is smokey most of time, for example on coming back to the boat in the dark you can see and smell lots of diesel smoke in torch light.

2. The exhaust noise is loud

Regarding 1. (smokey burning)

I have given the unit a good intrenal cleaning but thats made no difference.

I suspect the wicks are next thing I need to replace to see if that helps.

Firstly is that a sensible conclusion ?

Also if I go down that route what else should i be doing whilst I am at it ?

What parts should I be buying other than wicks A and B (533668 and 533669) ?

Regarding 2 Noisy exhaust

I don't appear to have an exhaust silencer (muffler). I huess that would be the first thing to fit. On checking for the part 533598A I can't find that exact part, however MV Heating list a 22mm and a 24mm muffler, will either of these fit the MX60 ?

Best regards

Frank

Mikuni_MX60-2_parts (1)-2.jpg

Mikuni_MX60-2_parts (1)-3.jpg

Mikuni_MX60-2_parts (1)-4.jpg

Mikuni_MX60-2_parts (1)-5.jpg

My MX60 on my barge was always a bit smokey and I never got it as clean running as the smaller MX40 that I had on a previous narrowboat so I can't suggest a guaranteed cure. However some experience of working on my MX60 is as follows (bear with me because it is a few years ago since I last worked on one):-

1. IIRC the heater plug holder is a very tight fit into the body of the heater and, IIRC, uses a heat resistant sealant when reassembling. Have a look at an MX60 manual for guidance. The heater plug was so tight on mine that I had to make a special puller to extract it cleanly which I left on the barge for the new owner when I sold it in 2017. Trying to lever it out just bends the retaining flanges, unlike the MX40 which is so much easier.

2. The wicks are a very tight fit into the body of the heater. You have to carefully align the hole in Wick A with the heater plug holder hole while pressing the wicks into place. You should also get the heater plug holder gasket (Part 21) if you do this job

Overall I found the MX40 easier to work on than the MX60. There is an adjustment on the MX60 IIRC that allows you to alter the air/fuel mixture ratio but I never had the required gas test equipment to be able to investigate that. That's what Shims 27, 28 and 29 are for IIRC. You might be able to get a gasket set for it to do the job but ask Mikuni about that. 

If you find all this a bit daunting there used to be a contributor to the forum IIRC who was an accredited service agent for Mikuni but I don't think I've seen him post for ages to the best of my knowledge.

The Mikuni Heating UK technical guy that I always found very, very helpful was Steve Elliott on 023 8052 8777 (Again, it is some years ago, maybe 2015 - 16, since I spoke to him so can't be sure if he is still there)

Hope this helps.

Roger

• 4 months later...

Hi

I have a Mikuni MX60 diesel heater on my boat which has burnt out wicks that require replacing. Just wondering if anyone would happen to know if there's any other parts out there, possibly from a different make unit that would fit. I have tried with the UK Mikuni dealer but they have run out of stock and Mikuni aren't going to be producing any more spares.

The wick comes in 2 parts, part A & part B but they are out of stock of part B.

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie

https://mvheating.co.uk/product/wick-a-mx60-533669/

https://mvheating.co.uk/product/wick-b-mx60-533668/