Bimini canopy on a widebeam?

blackrose

Featured Posts

Hi, I'd like a canopy over the cruiser stern of my widebeam but I don't want a pram hood as I don't really like the look of them and think they might be too restrictive for single-handling. I often have to get from the helm up onto the roof or vice versa when going through locks for example. Pram hoods are too bulky for my liking even when folded down, so I was wondering about one of these Bimini canopies. If I could find one big enough would it work on a widebeam? The folded canopy looks pretty high so I'd have to work out if could be lowered for bridges and I guess it would need to be stored in the folded position in high winds otherwise the wind could get under the canopy in a storm and possibly rip it away from the boat. 

They do look quite neat and it's the sort of thing I'm after. If they're any good then they're about an eighth of the price of a bespoke pram hood.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MiDMarine-Premium-Fabric-Bimini-Multiple/dp/B07KY22PZT/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=51881446303&dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIncCjrM-57QIVybHtCh1c4AmFEAAYAiAAEgIQQPD_BwE&hvadid=259134216848&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007208&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4332820740669103804&hvtargid=kwd-303751010081&hydadcr=25374_1818817&keywords=bimini%2Bboat%2Bcanopy&qid=1607272797&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-21&th=1&psc=1

Whilst not to my taste, I simply dont like covers whatsoever, I certainly agree with you that this one looks much better than a pram hood and would indeed be more suited and useable than a pram hood. Go for it as its much nicer than the usual canvas greenhouse aberrations on many boats.

• Greenie 1

I use a bimini on my little leccy cruiser and find it is very versatile.  I have modified mine so that I can set it in any of 3 positions.  Mine is only 1.5m wide, fitted to the gunwales.  Not quite sure where you would fit it on a wide-beam like yours.

I have fitted sidescreens and a rear screen that roll up and clip into place so I can have a sheltered enclosure when need and overnight.

Edited by Murflynn

10 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Hi, I'd like a canopy over the cruiser stern of my widebeam but I don't want a pram hood as I don't really like the look of them and think they might be too restrictive for single-handling. I often have to get from the helm up onto the roof or vice versa when going through locks for example. Pram hoods are too bulky for my liking even when folded down, so I was wondering about one of these Bimini canopies. If I could find one big enough would it work on a widebeam? The folded canopy looks pretty high so I'd have to work out if could be lowered for bridges and I guess it would need to be stored in the folded position in high winds otherwise the wind could get under the canopy in a storm and possibly rip it away from the boat. 

They do look quite neat and it's the sort of thing I'm after. If they're any good then they're about an eighth of the price of a bespoke pram hood.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MiDMarine-Premium-Fabric-Bimini-Multiple/dp/B07KY22PZT/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=51881446303&dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIncCjrM-57QIVybHtCh1c4AmFEAAYAiAAEgIQQPD_BwE&hvadid=259134216848&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007208&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4332820740669103804&hvtargid=kwd-303751010081&hydadcr=25374_1818817&keywords=bimini%2Bboat%2Bcanopy&qid=1607272797&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-21&th=1&psc=1

The one linked to only goes up to 2.5m wide - is that wide enough ?

A bat that was moored near to us in a previous marina had one built but it wasn't a 2-minute job to drop it, eventually it never moved from the marina.

I took the pictures thinking we may do something similar.

Edit : It wasn't a bat that was moored near us, it was a BOAT

CAM00276.jpg

CAM00277.jpg

CAM00278.jpg

CAM00279.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I have a rail that runs around the stern so it could be fitted to that, with the tensioning straps fitted to the back of the roof.

CAM00196 - Copy.jpg

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No, I think I'd need one about 3m wide. I'll have to do some measuring tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A bat that was moored near to us in a previous marina had one built but it wasn't a 2-minute job to drop it, eventually it never moved from the marina.

Edit : It wasn't a bat that was moored near us, it was a BOAT

CAM00276.jpg

CAM00277.jpg

CAM00278.jpg

CAM00279.jpg

Nice wheelhouse that is

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

CAM00276.jpg

Thanks, but for me with that design there's too much frame to deal with.

Just now, peterboat said:

Nice wheelhouse that is

It is for sale (the whole boat) at offers over £300k.

I don't think it has more than about 5 hours 'on the clock' It never moved out of the marina for 4 years and was still there when we left a year ago. The reports are its still for sale,

Just now, blackrose said:

Thanks, but for me with that design there's too much frame to deal with.

I think that's part  (most) of the problem, I could drop our pram-hood in under 1 minute this took him probably half and hour 'plus'.

17 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Any of the canopy makers should be able to make you a custom bimini cover.  It'll be a lot cheaper than a full hood as there's a lot less time & materials than in a full hood.

If budget is tight, you might even be able to design and build the framework for it yourself - aluminium tube is cheaper and easier to bend but much more fragile than stainless steel.  

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Any of the canopy makers should be able to make you a custom bimini cover.  It'll be a lot cheaper than a full hood as there's a lot less time & materials than in a full hood.

If budget is tight, you might even be able to design and build the framework for it yourself - aluminium tube is cheaper and easier to bend but much more fragile than stainless steel.  

Thanks. If I can't find one big enough off the shelf I'll get one made.

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

The folded canopy looks to be the same height as the unfurled version. For canal use I think you would need to be able to disconnect the rear struts so that the frame and fabric could be dropped down to the stern rail. It would also need to negotiate the tiller on the way down.

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

The folded canopy looks to be the same height as the unfurled version. For canal use I think you would need to be able to disconnect the rear struts so that the frame and fabric could be dropped down to the stern rail. It would also need to negotiate the tiller on the way down.

The ;'pram hood' we had on the NB folded in seconds - simply release two straps that hooked onto the top of the cabin and the whole lot folded (flat) backwards.

Erection was simply the reverse - pull straps, hook onto the top of the cabin.

For longer term, overnight erection the sides could be 'poppered' onto the boat sides.

DSCF0023.JPG

4 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

I've had something similar made for KenDorR, but I've also had a window made for the front, which is usually rolled up and out of the way.

P1010271.jpg

Did you know that the proprietor of the Railway Pub has been given the job of 'moorings monitor' by C&RT ?

If you visit the pub, you can stay on those moorings for as many days as you like, as long as you use the pub.

Non of this 2-day nonsense, for the 'price of a pint a day' you can stop for weeks.

39 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

I didn't know that Alan, I did notice just how many boats on the navigation appeared to be mooring for quite a few days - especially around Bardney!

The one outside the White Horse (further upstream towards Lincoln) is controlled by the White Horse Manager (well it used to be  with the previous owners) and apparently similar 'arrangements' can (could) be made.

white horse nocton - Google Search

There are both visitors, and, permanent moorings just upstream of Bardney lock.

This boat was on the Bardney visitors moorings when we were (that's us in the distance behind him) he then moved down to Kirkstead bridge and sank & started a 'go-fund-me-I'm-desperate-for-help-page'

(He had no job, no money and had some problems).

Never did hear the outcome.

IMG_20140504_103142.jpg

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are both visitors, and, permanent moorings just upstream of Bardney lock.

Yes, I went straight past them as they were full, I just managed to squeeze in on the town moorings. I think that may have been the boat which was at the end of the moorings at Tattershall Bridge, I had real problems getting moored up there on the first mooring spot in a very strong wind, then just as I'd managed, the people on a cruiser came out of the pub and set off, 5 minutes later and it would have been an easy manoeuvre!!

21 hours ago, blackrose said:

I have a rail that runs around the stern so it could be fitted to that, with the tensioning straps fitted to the back of the roof.

CAM00196 - Copy.jpg

I have always thought a Bimini top was a great idea.  I think the key it proper size and installed in the right spot. If so you can take one down in 30 seconds or less.  Just release the two straps and let it lay down. Thing to think about is  where it mounts and where it will lay down.  You don't want the arms to block you getting off the boat. 

I like to take the arm lengths and measure form the pivot point and see where it is going to fall. What is anything it is going to hit of be in the way of.

Looking at this photo looks like you would need to mount in on the cabin and let if fall forward on top of the cabin.  If you mounted it on the rail it would probably fall past the tiller and nothing for it to rest on. If you leaned it forward it would block you exit off the deck.

On 07/12/2020 at 05:06, Boaty Jo said:

A neat one here...

Jennifer May crop.jpg

Thanks. That's The sort of thing I want but without the front or rear parts.

On 07/12/2020 at 08:51, Alan de Enfield said:

The ;'pram hood' we had on the NB folded in seconds - simply release two straps that hooked onto the top of the cabin and the whole lot folded (flat) backwards.

Erection was simply the reverse - pull straps, hook onto the top of the cabin.

For longer term, overnight erection the sides could be 'poppered' onto the boat sides.

DSCF0023.JPG

Thanks but for me it's not really a question of how long it takes to fold up, I just don't like pr hoods and don't want anything with sides.

On 07/12/2020 at 14:50, Kudzucraft said:

I have always thought a Bimini top was a great idea.  I think the key it proper size and installed in the right spot. If so you can take one down in 30 seconds or less.  Just release the two straps and let it lay down. Thing to think about is  where it mounts and where it will lay down.  You don't want the arms to block you getting off the boat. 

I like to take the arm lengths and measure form the pivot point and see where it is going to fall. What is anything it is going to hit of be in the way of.

Looking at this photo looks like you would need to mount in on the cabin and let if fall forward on top of the cabin.  If you mounted it on the rail it would probably fall past the tiller and nothing for it to rest on. If you leaned it forward it would block you exit off the deck.

Yes, if I'm getting one custom made I'll have to think about how it folds and which way it drops down.

8 hours ago, blackrose said:

Thanks I'll give them a call and see if they can make something more to my liking. So far I've had no response from 4 different canopy companies.

Have you tried Tim Garland?

https://www.garlandhoods.co.uk

He did my hood and at 5 years old it still looks like new.