No Anodes?

Featured Posts

I have been looking at some secondhand Viking hire boats. They seem to be without sacrificial anodes. Has anyone seen this on other hire boats and would the hulls be ok if just blacked by the hire fleet every season? If so after the survey I would have a new set of anodes fitted.

Edited by aristorias

1 hour ago, aristorias said:

I have been looking at some secondhand Viking hire boats. They seem to be without sacrificial anodes. Has anyone seen this on other hire boats and would the hulls be ok if just blacked by the hire fleet every season? If so after the survey I would have a new set of anodes fitted.

My first boat was very old when I bought it in 1989, it didnt have any anodes and the bloke had owned it years and when I docked it a couple of years later there was no sign of anodes, Or for that matter any rot or pitting, I did have anodes fitted as advised by the boatyard at the time. Whilst I always now and since have anodes on boats I do oft think its a bit like when we were kids no one took their dog to the vets every six months for a check up and monthly flea treatments were not the norm. Have a squint at the hull you will see if its pitted or worse.

I wouldn't worry too much. Most narrowboats just have a couple at the front and a couple at each end. Their effect is only local and 90% of the boat is unprotected.  To protect a 60` x 7` boat you would need a couple on the rudder (maybe not worth it on a plate rudder, ours is a hollow aerofoil section so we have them)  1 or 2 pairs within a metre of the prop and then perhaps 6 pairs along the sides and then half a dozen along the bottom. By the time you had passed a few locks most would have been knocked off or you would have stuck fast in a lock.  If you can keep a good coat of good paint on the steel and maintain that paint by frequent docking then that will  do the job.

Our 2 ex working NBs never had had anodes when we brought them off BW and Willow Wren. We never fitted any whilst they were in our ownership. The 100 year old barge we brought in Belgium had no anodes but did have a steel prop. It seems the prevalence of steel piling on a English canals which so many boats tie to has caused problems with corrosion and so the answer usually is a sacrificial anode.

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

This Viking boat has no anodes and is still in good condition after a thousand years.

Jen ?

1003px-Osebergskipet_2016.jpg.daef2f1a7510686c395753995291d150.jpg

By Petter Ulleland - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=54937245

The Mary Rose had no anodes and look at her now ........................................

The Mary Rose - Visit Portsmouth

When I bought out Ex Viking Afloat hire boat I was told that Viking blacked them every year and our hull was in good condition according to the surveyor. Not sure if it carried on under the Alvachurch banner. However mine had anodes that were fitted by Clifton Cruisers when it went into their fleet for a couple of years.

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Mary Rose had no anodes and look at her now ........................................

The Mary Rose - Visit Portsmouth

That's not a Viking boat though. This is what can happen with no galvanic isolator.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

When I bought out Ex Viking Afloat hire boat I was told that Viking blacked them every year and our hull was in good condition according to the surveyor. Not sure if it carried on under the Alvachurch banner. However mine had anodes that were fitted by Clifton Cruisers when it went into their fleet for a couple of years.

I saw an ex viking a couple of weeks ago, it needs plating and protection on the front at the baseplate level where the curve meets the sides, and rear and where the swim starts, it is wear, not corrosion.

It will join the Weedon hire boats fleet as they are struggling to pick up any more of the old ex Weed hire boats for sale.

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:
15 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I had anodes fitted about twenty years ago. When I got rebottomed a couple of years back they were still good as new.

Was it painfull ?

Has it stopped you getting premature erosion or corrosion ?

As long as he gets his bottom painted black every two to three years. ?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

This Viking boat has no anodes and is still in good condition after a thousand years.

Jen ?

1003px-Osebergskipet_2016.jpg.daef2f1a7510686c395753995291d150.jpg

By Petter Ulleland - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=54937245

AFAIK the Oseberg boat never entered the water, it was a burial site.   By the way I am in the process of building the model - current status:

oseberg.JPG

4 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

AFAIK the Oseberg boat never entered the water, it was a burial site.   By the way I am in the process of building the model - current status:

oseberg.JPG

Looking good. I can see that you've not fitted the  anodes yet.

Yes, the original Viking boat was for a burial. How it survived to the present day.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

3 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Our 2 ex working NBs never had had anodes when we brought them off BW and Willow Wren. We never fitted any whilst they were in our ownership. The 100 year old barge we brought in Belgium had no anodes but did have a steel prop. It seems the prevalence of steel piling on a English canals which so many boats tie to has caused problems with corrosion and so the answer usually is a sacrificial anode.

No logic in that. Steel piling isn’t going to create a galvanic cell with a steel hull.