£100 Reward.

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, Peanut34 said:

I've stared at my hatch long enough that I have a crick in my neck, not long enough that I have a solution.

It would be a many-pronged attack though...

First off, my hatch isn't the same as @Keeping Up's - it's like this:

4b77bea6c6f54ec73ba3b13c96f2507a.jpg.b107d2a571a641f70d578a2c7d6bb9eb.jpg

For the hatch itself, I would do the same as @Keeping Up has done, only a little fancier because I'm fortunate enough to have access to just the machine for the job. I would laser cut a piece of 5 mm acrylic, something like the sketch below. Then remove the handles and the little stay nubbin, place the acrylic, remount the handles and nubbin (you would need longer screws at this point, not a problem but the screws in mine are self-tappers, rather than machine screws, which is disgusting but a minor snag).

Glaze.png.0810f9c6f65b4c6d925e0d54676ce03f.png

You would have to seal it in place to prevent condensation forming behind. I think I'd just run a bead of Geocel clear marine sealant around it. Between the screws and this, I don't think you'd need any further means of attachment (although not fully considered this yet).

If all went well, you'd have another layer of glazing with very limited impact on light ingress and which covers up some of the metal frame...and provides a thermal break between the frame and the handles. And looks pretty decent. I think. There may be some fatal flaw though.

The first real problem I can see is that the the handles would now sit 5 mm lower and the closing 'rubbers' wouldn't be in the right place anymore [sigh]. So I would take them off and shim them. Or make a similar, but hollowed-out piece for the outer frame. Although I didn't get that far yet. Anyway, I think that's what I'd do for Phase 1.

For the groove around the inside (Phase 2), I think I would just buy some 10 mm x 10 mm foam rubber profile and run it round. Or just fill it with more of that lovely silicone. I didn't get that far either.

Anyway, yours for about £10 of acrylic. I don't get much condensation on mine (not trying to rub it in, just saying I couldn't give it a good test!), but I could run one off and do a test fit at least. Just let me know if you have the same style hatch and I'll give it a go. Or let me know if I've missed that fatal flaw somewhere ?

This isn't an attempt for the reward by the way ?

Same style hatches, with the big lever handles and the wee stay and clip.

Your idea is workable, the plastic bits for the handles to cam onto are a problem, yes they are all self tappers which is a disgrace on a near £500 hatch.

The fixed frame is another draw back which is why I am thinking of polycarbonate sheet over the whole area friction fitted into the surrounding stainless steel where you have varnished wood. That rules out opening the hatch in poor weather but its a small price to pay for avoiding the interior monsoon.

The glass is not so bad, its the frame with the groove that fills up with water until it overcomes the surface tension in the draught caused by walking under it, when it showers down.

Protem I have a solution which is  working well. Delonghi dehumidifier, pulling 6 to 7 litres of water in 24 hours out of the air and giving 250W of heat as a bonus.

The other day when it was very frosty, we had ice on the aluminium parts on all the hatches, great it didn't drip, until the sun came out and we warmed up, oh dear.

9 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Same style hatches, with the big lever handles and the wee stay and clip.

Your idea is workable, the plastic bits for the handles to cam onto are a problem, yes they are all self tappers which is a disgrace on a near £500 hatch.

The fixed frame is another draw back which is why I am thinking of polycarbonate sheet over the whole area friction fitted into the surrounding stainless steel where you have varnished wood. That rules out opening the hatch in poor weather but its a small price to pay for avoiding the interior monsoon.

The glass is not so bad, its the frame with the groove that fills up with water until it overcomes the surface tension in the draught caused by walking under it, when it showers down.

Protem I have a solution which is  working well. Delonghi dehumidifier, pulling 6 to 7 litres of water in 24 hours out of the air and giving 250W of heat as a bonus.

The other day when it was very frosty, we had ice on the aluminium parts on all the hatches, great it didn't drip, until the sun came out and we warmed up, oh dear.

The alternative to avoid the cam and screw problems is this (ish - just have to make sure it can fit with the handles in situ):

346783368_2020-12-2719_07_25-AutodeskInventorProfessional2020.png.d950a14434557b9ce05d6f1aac8cb865.png

Slightly less efficient, slightly easier to install.

Doesn't the groove only serve a purpose where it engages with the handles though (and to save Houdini a little more money ?), so why not just fill it with something?

The outer frame is really difficult because there are so many different liners and exposed areas. The one I'd make for mine wouldn't fit yours I'm sure. But I'll keep thinking about it.

I would always want to retain the full functionality of the hatch, but can definitely see why the monsoon might make that a sacrifice you're willing to make!

4 minutes ago, Peanut34 said:

The alternative to avoid the cam and screw problems is this (ish - just have to make sure it can fit with the handles in situ):

346783368_2020-12-2719_07_25-AutodeskInventorProfessional2020.png.d950a14434557b9ce05d6f1aac8cb865.png

Slightly less efficient, slightly easier to install.

Doesn't the groove only serve a purpose where it engages with the handles though (and to save Houdini a little more money ?), so why not just fill it with something?

The outer frame is really difficult because there are so many different liners and exposed areas. The one I'd make for mine wouldn't fit yours I'm sure. But I'll keep thinking about it.

I would always want to retain the full functionality of the hatch, but can definitely see why the monsoon might make that a sacrifice you're willing to make!

I have considered filling the groove but I would still get drips from all the rest of the aluminium. 

These hatches need a redesign with double glazing, thermal breaks in the frame and an insulating layer on all interior metal.

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

These hatches need a redesign with double glazing, thermal breaks in the frame and an insulating layer on all interior metal.

Agreed.

But a many-pronged incremental approach is possible until this happens, and it would take more than £100 to lure Houdini into doing it ?

The perspex will reduce condensation by a little, filling the groove by a little more. Could turn the monsoon into whatever is one thing lower than a monsoon. 

Plus, the addition of the perspex means I would be willing to rig up a small fan to help draw the damp air away. I would definitely not do this if I was pulling the cold air down from there as is.

I suppose wedging a single piece in there works too. It's dirty, but unarguably effective ?