Gravel Barges upset Anglers

pearley

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, tehmarks said:

?

Yes, what a plonker!! Those of us that know Knottla very well and lived nearby and worked there understand that it aint the waterway freight carriers that do the damage!! 

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes, what a plonker!! Those of us that know Knottla very well and lived nearby and worked there understand that it aint the waterway freight carriers that do the damage!! 

So with your local knowledge what is causing the dead fish that wasn't killing them say a couple of years ago?

11 minutes ago, Jerra said:

So with your local knowledge what is causing the dead fish that wasn't killing them say a couple of years ago?

There has always been dead fish. The problem along that stretch is that for a while now commercial traffic stopped and the local fishists think its all for them rather than nothing to do with them. They dont want the big craft going past again disturbing their fishing. My local knowledge can also tell you that there are oodles of places around knottingley for fishists with many miles of non navigable rivers and a proliferation of ponds, the selby canal that is virtualy unused by boats is five minutes drive away. Its typical moaning from fishists. The fishists are very lucky with the progress made in the area and proliferation of fish as when we were kids and when I worked there there were no fish due to pollution, much much better now.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

There has always been dead fish. The problem along that stretch is that for a while now commercial traffic stopped and the local fishists think its all for them rather than nothing to do with them. They dont want the big craft going past again disturbing their fishing. My local knowledge can also tell you that there are oodles of places around knottingley for fishists with many miles of non navigable rivers and a proliferation of ponds, the selby canal that is virtualy unused by boats is five minutes drive away. Its typical moaning from fishists. The fishists are very lucky with the progress made in the area and proliferation of fish as when we were kids and when I worked there there were no fish due to pollution, much much better now.

So when CRT mention that they have had recent reports either nobody bothered to report it before or they are telling porkies.   Is that the basic position.

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

So when CRT mention that they have had recent reports either nobody bothered to report it before or they are telling porkies.   Is that the basic position.

No idea. I can only go by by extensive first hand experience of the area both from birth and for years living and working there and from using several boats in the area as in personal extensive experience as in a lot of extensive personal experience is that clear enough for you? Can I assist in any way further or do you not come across such fishists that moan when you extensively boat? or is it more a case of you dont even go boating?

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

Just ban the fisherscum....problem solved as they can chuff off and moan somewhere else! 

As you and I and many boaters know they are simply miffed that boats are again using the waterways they are moaners much like some other moaners I could mention ;)

I'm not sure anglers who hook fish for so called sport and then chuck them back are best placed to complain about fish welfare.

They would also fare better if they didn't drag them out and chuck them back in.

Fishing for something you don't end up eating is a pretty pointless exercise, all only in my humble opinion of course.

21 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I'm not sure anglers who hook fish for so called sport and then chuck them back are best placed to complain about fish welfare.

They would also fare better if they didn't drag them out and chuck them back in.

Fishing for something you don't end up eating is a pretty pointless exercise, all only in my humble opinion of course.

It’s just a bloodsport...hopefully to

be banned like other bloodsports...

• Greenie 4

22 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Could there not be a parallel with heading out for the day / weekend on your boat, turning around and going back to your mooring, a pretty pointeless exercise (in some folks humble opinion)

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Could there not be a parallel with heading out for the day / weekend on your boat, turning around and going back to your mooring, a pretty pointeless exercise (in some folks humble opinion)

That doesn’t willingly inflict suffering on a living creature. 

• Greenie 1

Just now, frangar said:

That doesn’t willingly inflict suffering on a living creature. 

It doesn't stop it being a pretty 'pointless exercise'

Different things mean different things to different folks.

One mans meat is another man's poison.

What is the point of going out shooting 100 clay pigeons ?

What is the point of playing, or even watching, a football match ?

So many pointless things in modern society.

(I am not a fisherman - except sea-fishing for eating - and see sitting sitting on the side of a pond drowning worms as pointless. Just debating the subject)

• Happy 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes. Of course.

I'm not aware though that such a pastime is harmful to.fish in quite the same way.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It doesn't stop it being a pretty 'pointless exercise'

Different things mean different things to different folks.

One mans meat is another man's poison.

What is the point of going out shooting 100 clay pigeons ?

What is the point of playing, or even watching, a football match ?

So many pointless things in modern society.

(I am not a fisherman - except sea-fishing for eating - and see sitting sitting on the side of a pond drowning worms as pointless. Just debating the subject)

The crux of the point I was making is your use of the word 'clay' when you referred to pigeons.

Anglers complaining about harm being caused to fish are hypocrites.

By all means they should enjoy their 'sport' but then to pretend they are paragons of virtue when it comes to fish welfare...........

Joke.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The anglers are suggesting it is boats killing the fish (but yes they are hippocrites)

I thought they were talking about commercial barges not leisure boats?

Not people engaging in a leisure pastime.

Which actually diminishes their viewpoint even further.

11 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Anglers complaining about harm being caused to fish are hypocrites.

I would agree hypocritical, but, to me, the point is something is killing the fish and whatever it is (even if anglers) will be having a knock on effect on other wildlife.

As a result it needs brought to public/the authorities attention.

There is always dead fish after a fishing match. What I see of the dead fish round here is that there are

injurys around the mouth from hooks. An injured mouth for any animal should result in difficulty

feeding as the wound heals. The most common causes of death are the physiological stresses caused

by the struggle during capture and injuries caused by the hook or the angler.

• Greenie 3
  • Angry 1

22 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I would agree hypocritical, but, to me, the point is something is killing the fish and whatever it is (even if anglers) will be having a knock on effect on other wildlife.

As a result it needs brought to public/the authorities attention.

I don't think the need to identify the source is in doubt.

What we have here though is the equivalent of the master of the hunt raising concerns about foxes being killed on a newly built dual carriageway.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

I don't think the need to identify the source is in doubt.

What we have here though is the equivalent of the master of the hunt raising concerns about foxes being killed on a newly built dual carriageway.

If there had been steady reports of dead fish I would totally agree.  However CRT say they have only recently been getting reports of dead fish, which as I said the Mrsmelly means either something has changed or CRT are telling fibs.

I don't see what CRT have to gain by not telling the truth.

11 minutes ago, Jerra said:

If there had been steady reports of dead fish I would totally agree.  However CRT say they have only recently been getting reports of dead fish, which as I said the Mrsmelly means either something has changed or CRT are telling fibs.

I don't see what CRT have to gain by not telling the truth.

The concern would have more credibility if it had come from a local wildlife organisation.

I also see no reason why Tim would tell fibs.

In defence of anglers, a friend is a keen one, sometimes he doesn't catch a fish all day, but it doesn't spoil his enjoyment, he tells me it's not all about catching fish, it's the whole experience, like sitting for hours messing around and doing nothing in particular and then a kingfisher perches on your rod for a while, magic moment. Little things makes it all worthwhile, a bit like life in general I suppose. 

But then he doesn't like sitting in a long line and being fiercely competitive. 

• Greenie 3

I reckon most 'torn apart' fish are chewed up by rats and things after they die. I doubt that they go through the propellers of boats. If there is a problem its more likely to be some sort of pollution, heavy rain washing effluent into rivers, fallen leaves rotting under the water, lower temperatures and less food and so on.  Oh, barbed hooks should be banned, many or most private fishing pools do not allow barbed hooks , they damage fish, lead to fungal infections and diseases and so on. 

• Greenie 1