Crt boat disposal.

sparrowcycles

Featured Posts

Has anyone heard whether these boats have been disposed of yet? 

A community project here in Marple have contacted canal river Trust to try to secure one but as far as I know they have heard nothing back from them. 

It made me realise thay I haven't heard anything about them since they were offered in the press. 

Best regards to you all. 

7 hours ago, sparrowcycles said:

Has anyone heard whether these boats have been disposed of yet?

What boats? Some more information and context might help. Is this Section 8 seized boats, surplus work boats, or something else?

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, matty40s said:

About 8 boats at Ellesmere museum, surplus to display need and not of unique enough historical significance to keep.

Have you tried contacting the museum directly, rather than CaRT? It is unclear what their relationship is with CaRT. The Canal and River Trust provide funding, but the museum has some sort of separate existence as far as I can tell. With a big organisation like CaRT, unless you can contact exactly the right person the enquiry is likely to end up in the round file.The museum people will know who in CaRT to contact if it is them you need to talk to.

Jen

11 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Have you tried contacting the museum directly, rather than CaRT? It is unclear what their relationship is with CaRT. The Canal and River Trust provide funding, but the museum has some sort of separate existence as far as I can tell. With a big organisation like CaRT, unless you can contact exactly the right person the enquiry is likely to end up in the round file.The museum people will know who in CaRT to contact if it is them you need to talk to.

Jen

It was CRT who put advertised the boats for disposal, not the museums themselves, I thought I would ask in the history and heritage section in case anyone had heard anything more than myself following said adverts. 

It would be Margaret Harrison, if she is still head of collections, at CRT to contact I suspect but out of idle wondering I felt best to ask here. 

Not a problem if no one knows though.. 

29 minutes ago, sparrowcycles said:

Not a problem if no one knows though.. 

It was hard to know, as your initial post gave no clues as to which boats you were talking about.

Perhaps members living or mooring in that area may know more.

I find it hard to believe that at the very least, the iron hulls couldn’t be coated in grease, turned keel uppermost and stored in some corner of the complex, for future generations to appreciate. Ice boat Marple is 170 years old!

5 hours ago, XLD said:

I find it hard to believe that at the very least, the iron hulls couldn’t be coated in grease, turned keel uppermost and stored in some corner of the complex, for future generations to appreciate. Ice boat Marple is 170 years old!

Time for a new one then?

15 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:
5 hours ago, XLD said:

Time for a new one then?

Global warming means it isn't needed any more.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

19 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Time for a new one then?

18 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Global warming means it isn't needed any more.

18 hours ago, Athy said:

Has it been replaced by a fireboat?

Not a joking matter methinks.

• Unimpressed 1

I think she left last year.  Current incumbent appears to be a Dr Becky Peacock.

The museum is of course temporarily closed and although the staff are working from home you may find decision making slower than usual! ?

Good luck.

Paul

45 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I think she left last year.  Current incumbent appears to be a Dr Becky Peacock.

The museum is of course temporarily closed and although the staff are working from home you may find decision making slower than usual! ?

Good luck.

Paul

Thanks I appreciate your help