CRT system error

Bronco99

Featured Posts

CRT has contacted me to inform me that an error means that they 'forgot' to take out my direct debit for my license, leaving me with a build up of 300 pounds which they say they will either debit my account, or split over the months remaining on my license depending which I prefer. TBH I didn't notice, or maybe didn't want to notice that the debits had stopped coming out and I carried on as normal. My last work was at Cheltenham Gold Cup for an agency so I didn't get furlough. 

They have now wiped my account from the CRT website without telling me. Until I pay it back I suppose. My question is,  Having had an agreement in place with CRT for a license and they then messed it up, then who is liable for those missed payments. I made an agreement to pay an affordable monthly debit for my license and because their system went down and I didn't have the organisational skills to see what was going on, I'm being told I have to find money from somewhere to cover their error. I realise it's my license fee, but it's their system fault that this has happened and left me in this position. 

Sorry for the dreary, depressing post but any advice? Should I just suck it up?

5 minutes ago, Bronco99 said:

CRT has contacted me to inform me that an error means that they 'forgot' to take out my direct debit for my license, leaving me with a build up of 300 pounds which they say they will either debit my account, or split over the months remaining on my license depending which I prefer. TBH I didn't notice, or maybe didn't want to notice that the debits had stopped coming out and I carried on as normal. My last work was at Cheltenham Gold Cup for an agency so I didn't get furlough. 

They have now wiped my account from the CRT website without telling me. Until I pay it back I suppose. My question is,  Having had an agreement in place with CRT for a license and they then messed it up, then who is liable for those missed payments. I made an agreement to pay an affordable monthly debit for my license and because their system went down and I didn't have the organisational skills to see what was going on, I'm being told I have to find money from somewhere to cover their error. I realise it's my license fee, but it's their system fault that this has happened and left me in this position. 

Sorry for the dreary, depressing post but any advice? Should I just suck it up?

But you don't have to find the money from somewhere, because you still have it.

Or rather you possibly would still have it if you hadn't spent it on something else.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

It's unfortunate, and CRT should certainly be flexible in finding a solution, but...the cost to you is still the same regardless. You can't blame them for your lack of money management skills leaving you short. It's not like they've overcharged you.

Take their offer of splitting it over the remaining months and suck it up, I'd say. The direct debit is over a period of ten months anyway, so if they split it over the remaining months (the remainder of all twelve of them, that is), it may well not increase by a huge amount.

7 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

You can't blame them for your lack of money management skills leaving you short

I don't. Only for the acknowledged error on their part which has played havoc with the agreement which we made between us.

Edited by Bronco99

A family member has just been hit with a big bill because the government miscalculated their universal credit 7 years ago. The government now want their money back, and they are taking it back at a rate specified by themselves, no negotiation. Sometimes life is very unfair.

..............Dave

This happened to me some years back. I was out of work and skint at the time  and it was before internet banking so simply didn't notice. After a lot of argument, and explaining my situation, they agreed to postpone collection of the debt for a year and then add it to the DD over the next full year. Made life much easier.

With a DD,  I think they can amend the amount but if i recall correctly (don't take my word for it but check) they need your agreement. Worse case, cancel it outright and negotiate a new one. They should accept any reasonable offer. Good luck.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It is always the debtor's responsibility to find and reimburse his creditors.  Just pay up even if it means finding the money from elsewhere. After all you have eaten the steak, pay the bill.

I agreed terms under which I could afford steak. Those terms were not kept by the restaurant. Perhaps I should wash the dishes as a gesture of good faith ?

They did it with me one year..they had me down as having six boats all with the same name and took full payment for each on the same day..of course i had only one boat and paid my licence monthly and had a special account just for my licence..so this was nearly £4.000 i was overdrawn..i cant quite remember the daily interest charge but it was a fair amount.so i rang bw as it was then..and they apologised but said it would take 14 working days to pay the money back into my account and i wasnt to worry about the daily interest charges they would cover the cost..thankfully the bank did some jiggery pokery and got the money back but just think of all the wasted licence money if my bank hadnt been so understanding

• Greenie 1