Rond anchors

tehmarks

Featured Posts

I've done a cursory search but it doesn't seem to have been definitvely covered before.

I'm probably going to go down on to the Weaver early next year, and plan on doing a few more rivers in the future. I currently only have a couple of stakes (one bohemoth, one 'regular chandlery'), and I'd like to augment my selection to be able to rig spring/other lines as required. While poking around the Internet I came across the rond anchor; a completely unfamiliar concept to me. Two questions:

1. Are they any good for mooring the average narrowboat to the bank, or are they really for lighter craft?
  2. Are they any good in general?

They area mainly Broadland item for tethering a boat in the reeds (rhond).  Designed to be pressed in with your foot.  if you are on a river bank then your pins will be just as good.  Th anchors do have a curve in them, which may affect the security in the ground.  If you do go down that route make sure they have rings on them.

We hand rhond anchors and mooring pins on Grebe.

27 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

I've done a cursory search but it doesn't seem to have been definitvely covered before.

I'm probably going to go down on to the Weaver early next year, and plan on doing a few more rivers in the future. I currently only have a couple of stakes (one bohemoth, one 'regular chandlery'), and I'd like to augment my selection to be able to rig spring/other lines as required. While poking around the Internet I came across the rond anchor; a completely unfamiliar concept to me. Two questions:

1. Are they any good for mooring the average narrowboat to the bank, or are they really for lighter craft?
  2. Are they any good in general?

Just remember that unlike the canals, you have no right to moor to the banks, the banks are privately owned and you may be accepted, chased off (have the dogs set on you), or asked to pay a mooring fee.

Its a bit like someone coming and setting a tent up  in your front garden.

Again, unlike canals most rivers have sloping bottoms and you may not be able to get within several yards of 'dry land' and will be 'on the bottom' and have to wade ashore to get your anchors in.

As far as Rivers are concerned it would be better to plan to use the official moorings until your experience improves.

It is worse case - but Rivers are not canals. This is one example of what can happen 'just overnight' on Rivers. 

This was the Trent a few days after heavy rain in the hills of Derbyshire and went from 'normal' to abnormal just overnight.

Moored on The Trent.png

Appreciate all of those points, and I'm acutely aware of my lack of river experience. That'd be why I want to start with the Weaver and see how things go. I'm very happy with my handling skills on the canals, so it seems like an obvious next step. As per the yacht thread, I'm not suicidal ?

Also appreciate the differences in mooring — but it's better to have the tools on boar, unused, than it is to not have then on board and be wishing that you did! My mooring hardware in general needs a bit of an update, and a few more stakes or similar would definitely come in useful on the canals too.

Edited by tehmarks
  • Happy 1

For the Weaver some decent mooring pins are all you need.  Try some 3/4 inch diameter round bar  about 3ft long. Point one end and hammer em well in.  Then tie to them at ground level.

They will do for Vale Royal, Devils Garden and Acton Bridge.  Northwich, Winsford and by the lift  have rings, bollards or are OK for piling hooks IIRC.  There is not a lot of passing traffic ?.

On other CRT rivers you are pretty much limited to provided moorings which tend to come with rings/bollards/piling. 

The Warwickshire Avon has a few spots amenable to mooring pins but is mostly about provided moorings.a

• Greenie 1

The Weaver is almost just a giant canal, except for a very occasional flood the flow in minimal, though take a bit of care in Northwich where the Dane comes in. Normal mooring pins will be fine.

Rather than fancy anchors it might be better to get a couple of big mooring pins, the pins sold by most chandlers are somewhat inadequate.

Pretty much what BEngo says.

We have one pin made from a hefty bit of angle, I think we got it on the Saltisford Arm, only ever needed to use it once but glad we had it

................Dave

Thanks all. It's not that I don't think that stakes won't cut it, it's that I need a couple more and was wondering whether a rond anchor might make a useful addition to the toolkit instead of a fourth stake.

@BEngo: that's really useful information, thanks.

6 hours ago, Grebe said:

They area mainly Broadland item for tethering a boat in the reeds (rhond).

I somehow missed this reply entirely. Interesting — I've seen them mentioned in a Broas context a few times, but I came across a post on here earlier recomending them for soft ground. It was the first I'd heard of them, so I thought I would ask :)

10 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

I've seen them mentioned in a Broas context a few times, but I came across a post on here earlier recomending them for soft ground. It was the first I'd heard of them, so I thought I would ask

This sort of thing but maybe a bit bigger. Many times better holding power than a 'big nail' - never mind the length, you need width to act as resistance to lateral pull.

Rhond Bank Anchor (norfolkmarine.co.uk)

Galvanised Rhond  Bank Anchor

Galvanised Mooring Spike With Hammer Top & Galvanised Bank Anchor | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield