Tier 3 area boat search?

Leap of faith

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, I am looking to a buy a NB to live on fulltime. I live in a tier 3 area. Am I able to look for one out of my area? What are the rules? I know people wanting to buy a house can still do so even if it is out of their area. I have looked o brokerages sites, but cannot find any info.

If you are looking to buy a boat to live on as your primary residence then why not just follow the rules on buying a house? There wont be any more detailed advice on any other sites as the government will not have thought of what you are doing and the CRT angle will just be advice. If they allow house viewings then you should be able  to use that excuse for travelling out of your Tier 3 location.

Not all of the 'rules' are detailed enough.

We are on a boat moored in a Tier 2 location. To get out to civilisation in the car, we drive down the access road and end up in Tier 3. No other way to get out. Where then do we do our shopping? Do we go left back towards tier 2 to the supermarket (a lot of miles) or right to the nearest supermarket still in Tier 3?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-3-very-high-alert#travel

Travelling into or out of a Tier 3 alert level area

Avoid travelling outside your area, including for overnight stays, other than where necessary, such as:

• for work
  • for education
  • to access voluntary, charitable or youth services
  • because of caring responsibilities
  • for moving home
  • to visit your support bubble
  • for a medical appointment or treatment

Where necessary, you can travel through other areas as part of a longer journey.

If you live in a Tier 3 area, you must continue to follow Tier 3 rules when you travel to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 area. You must not stay with anyone you do not live with elsewhere in the UK or visit their home (unless you share a support bubble).

I suppose you could claim it is for moving home.

Or get an eye test while you are in the tier 2 area.

Thankyou for your repy it makes sense what you are saying. The government have obviously not thought about people who are searching to live in a home outisde of the "house" option. I do feel a little bit more confident in travelling out of the area now. Thanks again,

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-3-very-high-alert#travel

I suppose you could claim it is for moving home.

Or get an eye test while you are in the tier 2 area.

It is interesting that for tier 3 the guidence now does not say that you can not stay away from home overnight, which it initially did, just that staying away has to be with others from your household.  In terms of the legislation there is nothing at all about travel restrictions anyway.  The only time you could come unstuck if you are from tier 3 is to travel into Wales, as I suspect the Welsh restriction of no travel from England tier 3 will be in law.

2 minutes ago, Leap of faith said:

I will be travelling by train to view boats and would if possible like to view several over a couple of days, instead of doing it all in one day. This means I would need overnight accomodation in somewhere like a priemer inn. I am assuming this would be ok?

If you state you're on business then that would be ok as only social activities are curtailed. You're buying a boat so sort of true??

4 minutes ago, Leap of faith said:

I will be travelling by train to view boats and would if possible like to view several over a couple of days, instead of doing it all in one day. This means I would need overnight accomodation in somewhere like a priemer inn. I am assuming this would be ok?

Only if the place where the hotel is located is not in tier 3.  If the hotel is in tier 3 they can only take people for the essential reasons, so they may ask you what the purpose is.  

Edited by john6767

8 minutes ago, Leap of faith said:

CWDF is not a provider of legal advice!

4 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Only if the place where the hotel is located is not in tier 3.  If the hotel is in tier 3 they can only take people for the essential reasons, so they may ask you what the purpose is.  

I'm with John here. It might be difficult to find a hotel that will take you.

the rules are clear:

Avoid travelling outside your area, including for overnight stays, other than where necessary .............

you decide if it is "necessary".   no-one is going to be unreasonable if you have valid and necessary business to do like searching for somewhere to live.

"The housing market in England will remain open in all 3 tiers. This means that people looking to move home will be able to both continue with planned moves and view new properties to move into in future. Estate and lettings agents, removers, valuers and people in sales and lettings offices and show homes will be able to continue working."

From https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-advice-on-home-moving-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak

Nothing in the guidance that says this only applies to bricks and mortar. In the OP's context boatyard sales staff and brokers would come under the same rules as estate agents etc. I'm sure most brokers  and boatyards will be open for business, with social distancing etc. 

Also:

"Hotels, hostels and other such public accommodation can be used by people to move home in all three Tiers. There is no guarantee a particular hotel will be open to provide this service, so do check in advance. "

Edited by David Mack

Strangely enough, during the latest lockdown, some disgruntled busybody called Enviromental Health to complain that a local brokerage was open when it shouldn't be.

As the brokerage provides essential services such as pump out, elsan, diesel, gas, logs, solid fuel etc, and also clearly states on the website that appointment only viewings would only be allowed for people who were looking to liveaboard, the EHO were satisfied that no offences were taking place.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Strangely enough, during the latest lockdown, some disgruntled busybody called Enviromental Health to complain that a local brokerage was open when it shouldn't be.

As the brokerage provides essential services such as pump out, elsan, diesel, gas, logs, solid fuel etc, and also clearly states on the website that appointment only viewings would only be allowed for people who were looking to liveaboard, the EHO were satisfied that no offences were taking place.

Well done to James. The brief for EHO is to check if whatever the business is complies with covid regs and is covid " Aware " they aint bothered about much else.

I wonder how many "I must buy a boat quickly" type decisions work out well? 

It's always days (or more) after Boris makes a decree before the experts study the rules and give general public any idea what it all actually means. The first time round it was months before we realised we could all have taken a drive to Barnard Castle as an eye test.  Why not wait 'til things change in your favour or you really know that you can safely look for the right boat in a wide range of places?

• Greenie 1