2021 Census - Those who live aboard.

DHutch

Featured Posts

IWA fails to include CCers in it's enumeration of classes of boaters, what a surprise!

For all those registered with Royal Mail, the Office for National Statistics will send a letter containing a unique access code to allow boaters to complete their online census form. If someone is not registered with Royal Mail and lives in a marina, a census officer will deliver the letter. If people live on a permanent mooring or other location, the ONS will send a census officer to deliver forms to any households they can find.

MP.

11 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

IWA fails to include CCers in it's enumeration of classes of boaters, what a surprise!

MP.

Since the IWA  joined forces with C&RT they have assumed C&RTs hatred for CCers and, it seems further evidence, that they 'don't exist' as far as they are concerned.

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Since the IWA  joined forces with C&RT they have assumed C&RTs hatred for CCers and, it seems further evidence, that they 'don't exist' as far as they are concerned.

So the IWA has reproduced the Census web page and it make them anti CC or have I read that wrong 

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So the IWA has reproduced the Census web page and it make them anti CC or have I read that wrong 

It appears the only way that CCers are included is if they have a GP

Wonder how that works / (Do you use the GP as your address ?)

“There are some groups who are harder to reach than others, with language, living arrangements, technology and understanding of what the census is all being barriers for us to overcome. My advice for liveaboards is to make sure you have a postal point if you have a mooring. For continuous cruisers, registration with a GP means analysis covers you as well.

48 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

If people live on a permanent mooring or other location, the ONS will send a census officer to deliver forms to any households they can find.

No worries then?.They will be walking the towpaths inquiring at every boat.I'll just wait for them to come to me!.

In fairness, it does say 'or other location' , and that your GP can be a contract point, as said. 

So actually I think they have made an effort there. It moving on line also helps. I don't know what the system for those of no fixed abode was previously?

Daniel

I applied for a job last time round as an enumerator; apparently I was lined up for one in order to reach the 'hard' group of cc'rs - until they discovered I was one and therefore was deemed not to have a secure location to store the census forms.  I did eventually get hold of a census form and completed it, but that was complicated by the fact that by the time I'd got hold of someone in the office, I was in France and they wouldn't send me a form there!  The form was sent to a local boatyard who were willing to hold it for me.

9 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Seems like some faff, but a successful outcome?

Dunno!  By the time I'd filled it out I was back in France, and the postage paid envelope obviously wouldn't work from there, so I popped it in with my tax return and asked HMCR to forward it.  I'll be able to tell you in 90 years time when they release the records....

Ive dodged filling any census forms in since I moved aboard and at the houses I have owned as they were just for days off so not my permenant address and was not there on the specific night in question. Easy enough to dodge the daft thing if you want to.

I don't think wearing a sari would work doing locks lol.

Why do we need to be counted anyway? My permanent home is between two houses in India one in Calcutta and our main home is in Goa, CC's while on boat in UK. Wife has a UK passport because of marriage to me, she is half Irish half German but born and brought up in India and I have a "overseas citizen of India" card because I am married to her so I can live in India, so best of both worlds for the both of us. So who counts us? No one that's who.

If some job's worth find us on the tow path on the day then I will fill it out but I am not going to make a fuss about it that's for sure. 

13 minutes ago, Oddjob said:

Why do we need to be counted anyway?

Probably for a nomad like yourself it is fairly unimportant.   However it must be hard for a government to make plans e.g. infrastructure or NHS capacity if they have no idea of the numbers or age groups etc in the country.  For example if you have no idea how many aged people how do you estimate how many care homes or geriatric wards to have.

19 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Probably for a nomad like yourself it is fairly unimportant.   However it must be hard for a government to make plans e.g. infrastructure or NHS capacity if they have no idea of the numbers or age groups etc in the country.  For example if you have no idea how many aged people how do you estimate how many care homes or geriatric wards to have.

And the Ex pats who are likely to come back and forth if I may use that term without offending.

40 minutes ago, Jerra said:

1. Step 1. Collect census data.
  2. Step 2. Use the census data to find out how many care homes, or geriatric wards are needed in each area.
  3. Step 3. Build the care homes and geriatric wards needed in each area.

Shame about step 3.

I missed the 2011 one, being in the wrong place at the wrong time. On an actual proper residential mooring these days, so will no doubt be filling one in.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

54 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

And the Ex pats who are likely to come back and forth if I may use that term without offending.

The gov know how many of us there are, our ages and shoe sizes. When mum was approaching 100 they contacted us re her birthday card. When my missus was at retirement age they contacted her and new her shoe size and all my details never mind hers. On my gateway account there is a list of all my Ni years going back to 1972 and tax going back till then. They have an mi number for us and a oooge database with passports, driving licence details and medical records and oodles of other stuff so a census is bunkum really. 

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

Of course they do she has lived through 9 or 10 censuses.  

It was the dwp. They have us all from day one and unless they get a death registration they know we are still out there. 

22 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I am not fended at all I’ve been working all over the world since I was 22 @ 22 I was sent to Nigeria for two years working on helicopters. The point is with CC’s is even if you count us where to you build a old people’s home place for us I could be counted in London but need a old people’s home place in Manchester. Anyway when the time comes off back to India nice and warm and home help available and affordable. I went there for two years in 1990 thinking I was going to starve as I hated Indian food lol Returned to UK after 7 years with a wife and 2 sons loving Indian food. Point is most like 87% of Indian places in the UK are in fact run by Bangladeshi’s so not Indian lol.