David Jones Boatbuilder?

Narrowboatpootle

Featured Posts

Hi All, 

New to the forum so pls be gentle!

We recently moved from a GRP to our first narrowboat. 

It is a 32ft Cruiser Stern,

On the commissioning plate inside it says the boatbuilder was "David Jones" and the model "Chester" 

Ive looked at the wonderful world of Google but cant find anything on this boatbuilder. I didnt know if anyone here could shed some light

For no other reason than my own curiosity 

Thank you all 

I did think that, but just looked at the brass commissioning plate and definitely says the model is chester, the year 1978 (although agree Mr. Jones could have been in Chester also) 

Was it normal for smaller "independents" to build narrowboats and maybe only a few of them?

Im a bit of a geek when it comes to history so would love to find out more. 

19 minutes ago, Narrowboatpootle said:

I did think that, but just looked at the brass commissioning plate and definitely says the model is chester, the year 1978 (although agree Mr. Jones could have been in Chester also) 

Was it normal for smaller "independents" to build narrowboats and maybe only a few of them?

Im a bit of a geek when it comes to history so would love to find out more. 

There is a history going back for decades of 'small' steel working business (water tanks, skips, truck bodies etc) building the odd narrow boat in quiet times. many only build only 'single figures' and just quietly disappear.

Other 'one man bands think it is an easy business to get into (no great investment needed) but after one boat find its not quite as easy to make one that 'drives in a straight line' as they thought and one or two is all they ever make.

Apart from a couple of 'volume' production-line type manufacturers pretty much all narrow boat building is a one-off 'cottage industry' with no two boats identical.

One example :

A skip builder with a sideline in NB's

Screenshot (67).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

There are many such boats. There is one out there with the brass plaque attached with my name as boat builder. I bought a shell and fitted it out in 99 to 2000 and had it checked for rcd by a surveyer then you make a number up and put hin number on to make it all pucker so even though your boat pre dates the rcd nonsense it could still be a one off. 

50 minutes ago, Narrowboatpootle said:

wonderful world of Google but cant find anything on this boatbuilder.

Or the weird world of Google. 

I just tried "David Jones boat builder Chester" and whilst there's not a lot of info, this news report from 2009 https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/tenant-sought-historic-chester-boatyard-5218271 does mention a David Jones

"David Jones, 67, who repaired craft there for 35 years, is now semi-retired."

As he was a tenant rather than the owner of the boatyard, I would imagine that it's unlikely that the current owners have any old records from his time there, but might be worth asking http://www.taylorsboatyard.co.uk/

• Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, Narrowboatpootle said:

Hi All, 

New to the forum so pls be gentle!

We recently moved from a GRP to our first narrowboat. 

It is a 32ft Cruiser Stern,

On the commissioning plate inside it says the boatbuilder was "David Jones" and the model "Chester" 

Ive looked at the wonderful world of Google but cant find anything on this boatbuilder. I didnt know if anyone here could shed some light

For no other reason than my own curiosity 

Thank you all 

According to the registration records he only built one boat (is this your boat ?)

Alron Built by David Jones in 1978 - Length : 9.8 metres ( 32 feet 2 inches ) - Beam : 2.1 metres ( 6 feet 11 inches )
Powered by an Inboard Diesel engine with a power of 15 HP. Registered with Environment Authority - Thames Region number F006919 as a Non Hire Annual Private Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Tuesday 19th April 2005 )

thanks for the replies - Yes indeed Alron was the original name of the boat (changed by previous owner) but Alron mentioned on the paperwork and commissioning plate. 

I will give the boat yard an email see if there is any further history

very interesting to hear that some people built "one offs" couldnt have done a bad job still going strong some 42 years later :)

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

According to the registration records he only built one boat (is this your boat ?)

Alron Built by David Jones in 1978 - Length : 9.8 metres ( 32 feet 2 inches ) - Beam : 2.1 metres ( 6 feet 11 inches )
Powered by an Inboard Diesel engine with a power of 15 HP. Registered with Environment Authority - Thames Region number F006919 as a Non Hire Annual Private Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Tuesday 19th April 2005 )

He definatly built more than one, my brother has one built by him in the early eighties, it was named Baltic when purchased and was 45ft long, now stretched and recabined.

2 hours ago, andy3196 said:

Or the weird world of Google. 

I just tried "David Jones boat builder Chester" and whilst there's not a lot of info, this news report from 2009 https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/tenant-sought-historic-chester-boatyard-5218271 does mention a David Jones

"David Jones, 67, who repaired craft there for 35 years, is now semi-retired."

As he was a tenant rather than the owner of the boatyard, I would imagine that it's unlikely that the current owners have any old records from his time there, but might be worth asking http://www.taylorsboatyard.co.uk/

Also http://www.canaljunction.com/mainline/1105.htm

• Happy 1

I too have a David Jones boat (apparently, no plaque or actual evidence, just on the sales bumpf when I bought her) - but listed as Davy Jones, which gave me a palpitation on first sight....  She's from 1979, and is now 58' having been stretched in a couple of places and definitely not on her original engine....

35 minutes ago, DaveP said:

I too have a David Jones boat (apparently, no plaque or actual evidence, just on the sales bumpf when I bought her) - but listed as Davy Jones, which gave me a palpitation on first sight....  She's from 1979, and is now 58' having been stretched in a couple of places and definitely not on her original engine....

But the lockers are probably OK ...

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mike Richardson said:

Alron was named by ALice and RON. We first met them in 1982 when we moved from Eggbridge Marina to Nantwich. Lovely couple, we used to travel with them as we had a 19ft Fairline and the two boats fitted nicely into narrow locks. Happy memories . . . 

Thats really interesting, So Alice and Ron had "Alron" now known as Pootle when you travelled with them? Are Alice and Ron still alive (apologies if that is a insensitive question) finding out the history of the boat and builder is becoming quite an obsession. 

So what we know to date....

David Jones was a boat builder based at Chester 

Alron was commission by Alice and Ron - AL RON

Understood to have built at least two boats (as a previous contributor mentioned) 

Thank you everyone for your contribution

Having done a little digging - a third boat, and famous!

http://www.canalscape.net/Canals on Screen/Canals on Screen.htm

Harmony - a cruiser stern starred in 'Travelling Man' a Grenada TV series.....

Also confirms that David Jones operated out of Taylor's Boatyard in Chester.

• Greenie 1

• 9 months later...

Was talking to a friend today who had a boat built by David Jones at Chester. I thought that she said that it was built in 1970 but I could have got that wrong.

By co-incidence I was recently boating on a friends 1962 mahogany boat which was built by Taylor’s in the same yard

Edited by Tim Lewis

• 8 months later...

Hello Everyone, I also have a David Jones of Chester Boat called Rosie No 2, we do have a plaque to prove it. Apparently built in 1978 but with a mid engine 1976 Lister ST2 Engine and made with imperial plate steel on the hull. In the case of my boat,  we believe it had undergone a major lifestyle change ( in 1976-1978) from a late working tug boat (1940-1950's) to a live-aboard/holiday boat. We believe she was either built as a pair or was called Rosie re-worked with the new steel front cabin. To find any of this documentation I believe I have to go to Manchester to the physical archives or to the Chester. Originally 40ft but was extended by 7ft in the 1990's by Welton Marina. Hope that information is interesting and helpful. Happy to send pictures if that helps people.