sterling travel power drive belts

sunny

Featured Posts

Travelpower is made by Dometic/Electrolux, not Sterling, are you sure its a Travelpower?

Every installation is different, done on a one off or small batch basis to suit the engine. The belt will almost certainly be a "polyV" belt but the length will be to suit your engine installation.

I don't think anybody routinely fitted the TP to a BMC marinisation so yours will be a one off. There might be some numbers printed on the belt.

................Dave

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Travelpower is made by Dometic/Electrolux, not Sterling, are you sure its a Travelpower?

Every installation is different, done on a one off or small batch basis to suit the engine. The belt will almost certainly be a "polyV" belt but the length will be to suit your engine installation.

I don't think anybody routinely fitted the TP to a BMC marinisation so yours will be a one off. There might be some numbers printed on the belt.

................Dave

Sterling did market a 'Travelpower' about 25 years ago (give or take). I was considering fitting one , to a BMC 1.8 as it happens. It was only thanks to Mr Sterlings attitude when asked questions that lost him the sale for both that and any number of Sterling products over the following years.

Edited by Slim

1 hour ago, waterdog said:

Sorry I have no idea of your belt size but try having a look for a number on your existing belt then Mr Google is your friend.

My travelpower belt is a 6PK1113 but on a completely different set up unfortunately.

Mine is a 6PK1103 on an isuzu, xpect beta etc are all a little different.

36 minutes ago, Slim said:

Sterling did market a 'Travelpower' about 25 years ago (give or take). I was considering fitting one , to a BMC 1.8 as it happens. It was only thanks to Mr Sterlings attitude when asked questions that lost him the sale for both that and any number of Sterling products over the following years.

I did see a thing, possibly on eBay, that looked almost like a bit of DIY electronics, was that it?

.........Dave

25 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I'm intrigued, a BMC 1.8D is usually reckoned to have a fragile front end on the crank which would rule out a Travel power.

It is driven of the flywheel with twin belts i will take a photo when i next visit the boat The electronic say sterling on them

Edited by sunny
add on

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I'm intrigued, a BMC 1.8D is usually reckoned to have a fragile front end on the crank which would rule out a Travel power.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

I did see a thing, possibly on eBay, that looked almost like a bit of DIY electronics, was that it?

.........Dave

I can't really comment. As I say when I asked Charles Sterling for details his response was, as far as I recall, something like " you don't need to know. All you need to know is that it works". I vaguely remember it's price was in the region of £1700. I may be wrong. Would you have coughed up?   

14 minutes ago, Slim said:

I can't really comment. As I say when I asked Charles Sterling for details his response was, as far as I recall, something like " you don't need to know. All you need to know is that it works". I vaguely remember it's price was in the region of £1700. I may be wrong. Would you have coughed up?   

I never buy his stuff its generaly crap. I did inherit one on my last boat but whanged it on ebay and replaced it with mastervolt which is 64 billion times better. The stirling combi unit was drawing FOUR AMPS!!!!!!!!! on standby :o apparently having seen others mention similar figures on here it wasnt even faulty!!

Gentlemen, lets not descend into being critical of a manufacturer and the proprietor, he does his best to make a living, some of the items are good and competitively priced.

I have always found Charles to be polite and helpful, not prone to wasting his valuable time or suffering fools and mitherers.

I would love to see this set up running off the flywheel. Calcutt did an alternator similarly mounted, I always wondered about belt replacement as the were not twist link  belts. Any chance of some photographs please?

19 minutes ago, sunny said:

Where is Gary peacock when you need him the nb was built by Ledgard bridge called pearly may belonged to a past member Bernie sadly no longer with us

Try asking Richard Fee he might know

Richard Fee

Swiftcraft Boats

Apperley Bridge

BD100NF

rfee4007@gmail

On 03/12/2020 at 20:35, sunny said:

Where is Gary peacock when you need him the nb was built by Ledgard bridge called pearly may belonged to a past member Bernie sadly no longer with us

I remember it well, but have not heard from Gary for many years.

Daniel