Well deck table

Featured Posts

I currently have a hinged table mounted in the well deck which when not used hangs down so I still get maximum light through the cratch glass. The downside is that it makes it awkward to use the front storage locker. I am thinking of using an existing small dinette table instead which will require a new shorter desmo leg and floor socket. I don't want to cut a hole for the socket through the well deck floor because that would be a significant water ingress into the boat if a seal failed.

I am thinking of building a hard wood floor, which I could fit the socket into, to lay on the floor of the well deck. Has anyone tried similar? 

Would supporting the wood floor on rubber feet provide sufficient drainage to stop problems of rusting of the steel floor?

Have you thought about and rejected using an upside down top Desmo fitting like you would fit to the table at the bottom of the leg?  Just some screw holes that way round.  I appreciate that it would be quite a lump compared with the sunken socket.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, philjw said:

Have you thought about and rejected using an upside down top Desmo fitting like you would fit to the table at the bottom of the leg?  Just some screw holes that way round.  I appreciate that it would be quite a lump compared with the sunken socket.

Or an upside down top Desmo fitting attached to two pieces of wood half jointed together in a cross shape, to form a portable table base (which you can use on the fore deck, in the cabin or on the bank).

Permanently fixing the top /table mount would be too much of a hazard I think. I could see the wife and I turning our ankles when boarding and as for the greyhound I am sure he would break every leg and probably more than once!

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

Or an upside down top Desmo fitting attached to two pieces of wood half jointed together in a cross shape, to form a portable table base (which you can use on the fore deck, in the cabin or on the bank).

this is similar to my original thought but to prevent the above would be removed when not in use. I had envisaged a slatted deck covering which would remain in place all the time and erect the table when needed. We tend to eat in the well deck whenever the weather is good enough. I have not mentioned this to the boat painter as he is adamant that nothing should cover his new paintwork☹️