Boat Sinks after being moved by film company.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, XLD said:

But you don’t KNOW that. The point is it was moved by someone other than the owner, so they must accept responsibility.

by the same logic you don't KNOW that it wouldn't have. Schrödinger's boat. From what i can tell the production company DID accept responsibility by offering a settlement, he's chosen NOT to accept that and gone for the company they were contracted to produce a series for in the hope's of a bigger payout.

4 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

by the same logic you don't KNOW that it wouldn't have. Schrödinger's boat. From what i can tell the production company DID accept responsibility by offering a settlement, he's chosen NOT to accept that and gone for the company they were contracted to produce a series for in the hope's of a bigger payout.

Schrodinger’s boat???
Do you know how much he was offered ?
His right not to accept. 
What business is it of ours?

CRT say no permission was given for the production company to move any boats, the owner claims several boats were moved, but the Daily Mail doesn't seem to have asked the production company if they moved any boats and why. Then the production company ask the boat owner to sign an agreement in return for a payout - presumably an agreement in which they don't admit any liability, and probably containing a confidentiality clause. That has backfired on them with the story becoming public and will be taken as an admission of liability.

22 hours ago, tehmarks said:

One would hope that:

• Any of us on here would have the requisite skills to safely moor a boat.
  • Securing a vessel adrift would be considered a 'good samaritan' act in the same way that first aid is.

State of the boat disregarded, I'm surprised at the cynicism on here. On the face of it, the boat was afloat, the boat was moved, the boat sunk. It doesn't appear to have been in the process of sinking prior to that, and so if the facts are true it is the responsibility of the production company to make good the damage they have caused.

To take the car analogy from the article; if someone moved my car without permission and it was subsequently rear-ended by a third party and written off, I'd be a bit miffed regardless of the masive dent that was already in the nearside doors.

Edit: national treasure does seem a bit hyperbolic, though...

Seconded. Although I'm less surprised at the cynicism and lack of empathy from some of the comments?‍♂️

22 hours ago, Athy said:

I only skimmed through the article and didn't spot any reference to the boat's owner asking for money.

What did occur to me was, was this boat in such a parlous condition that being moved a few yards caused it to sink? Has it got a boat safety certificate? I guess that it may have only third-party insurance, so he may need to find the money for its repair himself.

I have seen a number around the system that appear to be only above water due to the amount of silt underneath holding them up, maybe a move to deeper water was all that was needed?

Edited by BWM
  • Greenie 4

In fairness, while the boat might have been sub-par initially, even if it was on a bit of a knife edge, if someone has then moved it without permission, including stacking a load of steel narrowboats and a wide beam around it as appears to be the case, would you also be a little bit miffed if it then sank!

Fairly sure I would be, even if I didnt live on it. As said, article appears to make no mention of the guy asking for money.

Daniel

On 02/12/2020 at 12:38, Loddon said:

Looks to me like that is being confiscated under section 8. ? 

Being pushed by a WHH tug which is one of the companies that cart use in the London area

That's more than a little speculative. How many companies capable of the job exist in the London area? I imagine they have other sources of work when they are not doing Section 8 confiscations for CRT.

• Greenie 1

Have you ever had a quote from WHH to move a boat? Let's just say they are not a charity. 

There is some other background to this story as well involving a successful claim for housing benefit to pay all the costs associated with the boat. 

However, when it was moored in Camden it was on a standard visitor mooring, for a long time, in a densely populated residential area. With no services connected to the vessel. 

Ok yes the council might pay the license (no home mooring declared) but will CRT ignore someone moored on the same towpath spot indefinitely?

Doubtful. 

In the picture it is being moved down St Pancras lock -away- from Camden.  This occurred this year. 

Maybe Camden council paid to lose the thing out of their area ? 

A bit of background detail:

https://www.change.org/p/camden-council-to-save-my-home-a-wooden-lifeboat-over-100-years-old?recruiter=54208723&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=UK>NonBrand>BMM>LP-Test>Nov2020&recruited_by_id=00e05b00-bb13-0130-017c-3c764e04a112&utm_content=fht-26040965-en-gb%3A3

The picture itself tells a story. The bloke on the front (back because it is going backwards) of the lifeboat is being very careful not to let it strike the edge of the lock. Because it is incredibly obvious it is about to sink given half a chance. 

As for the vessel itself Tony Dunkley pointed out on the thunderboat thread that it probably is actually a carriage - launched RNLI lifeboat. 

Something like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/35ft_6in_Self-righting_motor-class_lifeboat

Boat still has its whaleback foredeck arrangement. But the rest is a shed. 

So it could in theory be technically interesting but would need someone with deep pockets to restore it to original status rather than being a sinker towpath houseboat. 

Edited by magnetman

17 minutes ago, Loddon said:

So would I if I could find it ?

@magnetman where's that picture of a properly restored lifeboat that I saw?

Was it the one I posted ?

1904 Ex 'Rowing' Life boat, long history of 'shouts and lives saved'.

CAM00473.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The one in the thread title is double diagonal. 

They did have some double diag ships lifeboats but I think the fact that the whaleback is there on this one could well mean it is RNLI. 

Would be necessary to see under it ideally. 

There was a nice one at Mevagissey museum in Cornwall a few years ago, out of water. Lovely underwater shape with a prop tunnel. I guess this protects anyone in the water from being minced. 

With the revelation that the boat has been unlicensed for the last 4 years, doesn't the owners assertion that no permission had been given to move it ring slightly hollow? Presumably he didn't actually have permission himself to place the boat on CRT waters? 

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, booke23 said:

With the revelation that the boat has been unlicensed for the last 4 years, doesn't the owners assertion that no permission had been given to move it ring slightly hollow? Presumably he didn't actually have permission himself to place the boat on CRT waters? 

I'd take the narrow boat world article with a pinch of salt to be honest.

They imply that the boat has been moored on the Lee Navigation for a long time and owner annoying people.

I think this is actually incorrect as up until earlier this year, and for a long time, the boat was moored in Camden which is on the Regents section of the Grand Union of course. 

It seems fairly likely that the boat was licensed at least until recently as it is improbable that CRT would take years to remove an unlicensed boat and the housing benefit claim was backdated so presumably in theory involved a refund of previous payments. 

Or not... 

Edited by magnetman

40 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Was it the one I posted ?

1904 Ex 'Rowing' Life boat, long history of 'shouts and lives saved'.

CAM00473.jpg

Yes that's how to keep a boat looking good.

I am so used to MM posting pics on the other side I thought it was him ?

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

So would I if I could find it ?

@magnetman where's that picture of a properly restored lifeboat that I saw?

So you wouldn’t expect any if your boat sank?

4 minutes ago, vicafloat said:

Narrowboat world gives a different slant on all this!!

Why? If anyone moved my boat without my permission I would hold them responsible for any damage caused.....simple!

22 minutes ago, XLD said:

So you wouldn’t expect any if your boat sank?

No, it would probably be my fault if it sank,  by not maintaning it properly or similar reason as it may well have been in this case.

If a boat sinks just by being moved a few yards then something was seriously wrong with the boat in the first place.

Edited by Loddon

Just now, vicafloat said:

Various quotes from people who moor nearby about the state of the boat and rowdy behaviour. Not licensed for 4 years etc:  Large generator running

at all hours and rubbish on towpath.

That’s a separate issue. 

19 minutes ago, vicafloat said:

Various quotes from people who moor nearby about the state of the boat and rowdy behaviour. Not licensed for 4 years etc:  Large generator running

at all hours and rubbish on towpath.

17 minutes ago, XLD said:

That’s a separate issue. 

But add all that to the look of the boat, the look of the owner and you start to get an impression of the true state of affairs.

It costs almost nothing to keep the surrounds clean and obey the rules.

From NBW

THE boat, Shalom,  that has sunk at Hackney Wick had been illegally moored and unlicensed for four years.

It's owner Anthony Beanlands has been the recipient of many complaints of unsocial behaviour and has been issued with warnings from both the local council and Canal & River Trust for his behaviour at the mooring on the Lee Navigation.

Cause to complain

Fellow boaters at the moorings, who treat it as their home, keep the towpath tidy and cause no problems but have had cause to complain of his activities.

Canal & River Trust and the council have issued him with warnings and an abatement notice for his extremely large and noisy generator which he runs any time during the day or night.

Late night parties

A nearby resident tells that he does not follow any of the rules nor is he considered to be a boater.  He throws his rubbish everywhere, his friends urinate on the towpath and he holds late night parties, but of top of this he has no working toilet facilities.

Boaters at the moorings state that the Trust is doing nothing to enforce either the mooring or licensing rules as far as this boat is concerned, with other boaters angry that they are being told by the enforcement officer to move along but not him.

A boater tells us the fight is still on and will celebrate the day when they finally move or tow him away.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But add all that to the look of the boat, the look of the owner and you start to get an impression of the true state of affairs.

It costs almost nothing to keep the surrounds clean and obey the rules.

From NBW

THE boat, Shalom,  that has sunk at Hackney Wick had been illegally moored and unlicensed for four years.

It's owner Anthony Beanlands has been the recipient of many complaints of unsocial behaviour and has been issued with warnings from both the local council and Canal & River Trust for his behaviour at the mooring on the Lee Navigation.

Cause to complain

Fellow boaters at the moorings, who treat it as their home, keep the towpath tidy and cause no problems but have had cause to complain of his activities.

Canal & River Trust and the council have issued him with warnings and an abatement notice for his extremely large and noisy generator which he runs any time during the day or night.

Late night parties

A nearby resident tells that he does not follow any of the rules nor is he considered to be a boater.  He throws his rubbish everywhere, his friends urinate on the towpath and he holds late night parties, but of top of this he has no working toilet facilities.

Boaters at the moorings state that the Trust is doing nothing to enforce either the mooring or licensing rules as far as this boat is concerned, with other boaters angry that they are being told by the enforcement officer to move along but not him.

A boater tells us the fight is still on and will celebrate the day when they finally move or tow him away.

Agreed, I wouldn’t want him as my neighbour. Should have been sorted out long ago methinks. But it’s STILL a separate issue.

• Greenie 2