Alternator drives

Featured Posts

We ran a 24v truck alternator off the flywheel of an Ailsa Craig FR4 without any problem. That is a massive flywheel and the alternator was mounted back to front on the floor in front of the engine which was solidly mounted.

Even with the very slow running engine it must of had thousands of rev on it. Charged well.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Yep still going...Alternator now changed from a A133 from a Jag to a A127 from a Discovery!!...used the same principle on a couple of other boats with large external flywheels...gives you a great charge rate at tickover and spins the fan fast enough to ensure proper cooling. Change belts every 3/4 years just because they get a bit polished and its easier to do planned maintenance than have to worry about it when it breaks.

Was this using a single v or poly-v belt?

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Was this using a single v or poly-v belt?

Single v. Mine runs about 1/4 inch in front of the ring gear. Just on the flat face. No slip or tracking. Alternator is 70 amp and it regularly outputs that with inverters etc. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Single v. Mine runs about 1/4 inch in front of the ring gear. Just on the flat face. No slip or tracking. Alternator is 70 amp and it regularly outputs that with inverters etc. 

Same here on a Lister FR2. 70 amp alternator. 40A output at 400rpm tickover. Max output from about 700 rpm. Still using the same belt that was fitted when I bought the boat in 2008, though I do carry a spare. Had to tighten the belt to cure slipping for the first time this year.

MP.

• Greenie 2