How far from engine to calorifier?

pearley

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, pearley said:

If we put calorifier in airing cupboard it will be some 30ft plus from the engine, Beta 60, and same return. Will the pump on the engine push the hot water that far?

Or do we stick in the engine bay?

If the pipework is right it will be fine as long as you can vent the air out.

Put the flow into the bottom of the coil,   and return and vent/expansion tank off the top, it will vent better and be about 5% more efficient.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If the pipework is right it will be fine as long as you can vent the air out.

Put the flow into the bottom of the coil,   and return and vent/expansion tank off the top, it will vent better and be about 5% more efficient.

I would also use at least 22mm pipe to help the flow.  I don’t know what thermostat you have, but if it is something like 74c then if you don’t lag the feed pipe to the calorifier, the engine coolant will not be that hot by the time it gets to the calorifier.  I do like my hot water hot.

When i collected my boat from its previous owner, the calorifier had just been replaced. The numpty who connected it managed to connect the engine loop and central heating boiler loop in series, so thst the engine heated the calorifier and the radiators.

Until I replumbed it, the engines water pump was pushing water to the very front of a 60 foot boat and back again.

On 01/12/2020 at 15:51, pearley said:

If we put calorifier in airing cupboard it will be some 30ft plus from the engine, Beta 60, and same return. Will the pump on the engine push the hot water that far?

Or do we stick in the engine bay?

Mine's in about the same place. It's fed by standard 5/8 automotive radiator type hoses from a Beta 42 and it all works perfectly.