Custom narrowboat models

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

Who now builds narrowboat models to order? I recall a chap called John Rawson from some years ago, but I don't know if he's still around.  And I seem to recall someone else in North Wales or Cheshire (AMS Models) but again I can't find him. 

Thanks 

15 minutes ago, Andrew Denny said:

Who now builds narrowboat models to order? I recall a chap called John Rawson from some years ago, but I don't know if he's still around.  And I seem to recall someone else in North Wales or Cheshire (AMS Models) but again I can't find him. 

Thanks 

A chap built a fine model of my boat but that was 7 years ago - I will try to check if I still have his details.

It turns out that my guy was John Rawson. I have (7 year old) contact details for him - will PM you if you want to try them.

Edited by frahkn

On 03/12/2020 at 10:25, cuthound said:

Didn't @AMModels make model narrowboats?

If so perhaps you could PM him.

Many thanks.  Yes, AMModels is the one I was thinking of, thanks.   But above all, this question is about having someone make a model of someone else's boat, as an accurate commission. 

6 hours ago, Andrew Denny said:

Many thanks.  Yes, AMModels is the one I was thinking of, thanks.   But above all, this question is about having someone make a model of someone else's boat, as an accurate commission. 

See post 2. John Rawson's model of my boat was a commission and was accurate.

Of course if you know he is no longer active then fair enough but you didn't say so.

Frahkn, thanks. When I made my first post this afternoon I didn't know if John Rawson was still around.  Happily I managed to contact him tonight, and he tells me he retired 5 years ago and got rid of his tools and workshop. He doesn't know anyone else who does what he does. 

Does anyone have a contact for Dale Howlett?  I can't do Facebook, I'm afraid.  I can see a profile someone linked to, but I can't go further.  (I'm not able to open an acct with FB, long story, but it's a sore point with me.)   Many thanks. 

On 07/12/2020 at 01:13, Andrew Denny said:

Frahkn, thanks. When I made my first post this afternoon I didn't know if John Rawson was still around.  Happily I managed to contact him tonight, and he tells me he retired 5 years ago and got rid of his tools and workshop. He doesn't know anyone else who does what he does. 

Does anyone have a contact for Dale Howlett?  I can't do Facebook, I'm afraid.  I can see a profile someone linked to, but I can't go further.  (I'm not able to open an acct with FB, long story, but it's a sore point with me.)   Many thanks. 

Dale is a partner in Candle Bridge Fabrications based in Braunston Marina (Facebook and/or Google has his contact details).  As it happens I was talking to him yesterday about his Water World appearance.  He's more likely to offer to build you a full size model these days.  Good guy producing high quality work.  

There was a roving trader doing very nice radio control models, his wife traded from the boat making bags (I think) and he had a side business making model boats. I saw one that he made for a TV program and it was impressive. They moved back "to the land" a couple of years ago but if you have no luck elsewhere I just might be able to track them down.

......................Dave

14 hours ago, Andrew Denny said:

Thanks. I'm guessing by 'full size model' you mean a full size boat?

It was slightly tongue in cheek.  Candlebridge are a fabrication and welding business and do a lot of work on narrowboats.

• 2 weeks later...