Securing Solar Panel to the roof

Featured Posts

Evening all,

Do I've got the panels etc and have made up an A frame out of angle. Thing is, I'm not going to drill any holes in the roof so was wondering what alternatives there are. My current thought is to bond,/glue some blocks of wood to the roof and screw the frame to that. I figured if I dont secure them, they'll become a victim to the wind at some point. 

Just wondering what other people have done with theirs.

Others will be along later, but my first thought is that you are glueing the panels to your paint.

I had a smaller set of panels which were screwed on, smallish L brackets I would call them,  fairly agricultural, but no rust , the fitter constructed a wooden frame (tanalised wood) thus using original fittings for my new panels which are quite large, but not had any windage worries, the fitter said he had allowed the panels to slide off to one side or the other in case I hit the panels with something solid, I've not tested his theory.

I did think I would tie them down with some cordage if  extreme weather is forecast, I really should.

Edited by LadyG

My panels are secured with small L brackets, 4 per panel, stuck to the roof with Stixall. It'll cure under water, stays slightly flexible, and can be painted over.  Available in black, white or clear for about a fiver a tube from Toolstation.  Stayed on perfectly through all kinds of weather.

I have used one as the "roof" for my well-deck.I have another on the deck,(roof!)..at the stern,mounted just above where the hatch slides to when it is open (saving deck space).?

The third one is just laid on the roof with a loose wooden block in each corner!! :judge:and hasn't moved in 6 years!.?

Thanks. Yep, it looks like they're getting glued for the time being then. I was looking to put a small block under each corner, glued and siliconed round the edges The basic A frame I made can be then just screwed to that.

I was in a quandry originally as ideally I'd like them secured permanently flat but am aware that being able to tilt them will make them more effiicient, so at least the A frame will compact if needed.

i installed two panels 3 years ago using 50mm diameter round magnets , they came with a chromium cover and a pre drilled hole for a fixing bolt, despite strong winds and a variety of severe storms they have stayed put. they give the appearance and feel  of being bolted down but have the advantage of  removal for painting etc. try ebay where there is a wide variety of magnets available for very little cost. good luck..

3 hours ago, Frankieboy said:

I was looking to put a small block under each corner, glued and siliconed round the edges 

In which case use Stixall which will do the job of both the glue and the silicone. It won't give you the future paint over problem that silicone will introduce.

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

In which case use Stixall which will do the job of both the glue and the silicone. It won't give you the future paint over problem that silicone will introduce.

I simply stuck two of the feet of my solar panel to the roof with Stixall.

Couldn't use magnets because the panel frame is made of the non magnetic type of aluminium ? The roof is fibreglass and rumour has it that it also is non magnetic.

My two panels are fixed to some of those clunky plastic corner brackets designed for a flat motorhome roof, which in turn are attached to the boat solely by gravity.  This was intended as a holding measure until I sorted out a neater and more secure method, but they are still like that 3 years on.   Despite some ferocious winds on occasion they have not moved, unlike some flexible panels on a nearby moored boat.

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

I drilled 4 small holes tapped them for 6 mm bolts fitted 4 brass 6mm bolts job done..... 

Much the same as mine except mine are mounted on neoprene strip and I filled the holes with sealant before fitting stainless M6 tamper proof torx screws. ?

I looked into this a while ago and decided on magnets with the panels fairly flush to the roof - two on each 'side'. I didn't want to drill holes in the roof as that can attract rust and also limits your solar panel size if you need to replace in the future (unless you drill more holes). The magnets are quite small but powerful and I would intend to move the panels slightly on occasions to keep underneath in order. I've not actually done any of this yet due to the restrictions, but that's the plan so might end up bolting it all on yet!!

I have 2 panels and was hoping to have them flush to the roof on one side of the boat but annoyingly one of the mushroom vents just gets in the way so will have to have at least one end raised.

Also, there is a chance I may want to rearrange in the distant future so bonding is definitely the better option. 

So far I've made an angle bracket to go in each corner, just need to bond then and job done, although the ones on one side of the panels will have to sit on blocks so the panels clear the mushroom vents, or have a short arm from the bracket to the panel

2 hours ago, Frankieboy said:

I have 2 panels and was hoping to have them flush to the roof on one side of the boat but annoyingly one of the mushroom vents just gets in the way so will have to have at least one end raised.

Also, there is a chance I may want to rearrange in the distant future so bonding is definitely the better option. 

So far I've made an angle bracket to go in each corner, just need to bond then and job done, although the ones on one side of the panels will have to sit on blocks so the panels clear the mushroom vents, or have a short arm from the bracket to the panel

You could take the dome off the mushroom and just make sure the panel clears the upstand by an inch, That would save a it of height 

Edited by ditchcrawler
Spilling

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

You could take the dome off the mushroom and just make sure the panel clears the upstand by an inch, That would save a it of height 

Yeah I thought of that, the only down side being that the panel only covers the right hand half of the vent. It's a shame as it would also have made something nice and easy to bolt it to

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

one edge of my panels is tight against the plank rack, the other edge is mounted on the handrail, with the mushroom between the two panels. Being on the handrail means if I am using the gunwale which I dont often do down the front i have to be careful. Being slightly raised  I can get my hand under the panel and onto the rail.

16 hours ago, Loddon said:

one edge of my panels is tight against the plank rack, the other edge is mounted on the handrail, with the mushroom between the two panels. Being on the handrail means if I am using the gunwale which I dont often do down the front i have to be careful. Being slightly raised  I can get my hand under the panel and onto the rail.

Sadly I don't have a hand rail, just the square edge of the cabin side that runs and inch or two higher than the roof.

On 03/12/2020 at 10:44, ditchcrawler said:

Yeah I thought of that, the only down side being that the panel only covers the right hand half of the vent. It's a shame as it would also have made something nice and easy to bolt it to

Right, it's decided, I've made some chunky brackets out of aluminium angle and I'm going to bond them to the roof with stixall. At a later date I can always fasten the panels to something heady if the wind looks too bad. Also, I'm going to chain them to the mushroom vent anyway for more security.

I figured if I at least get them on the roof and into operation, I can always fettle a bit as time goes on.

Besides, the wife is going mad, she wants them out of the shower area

19 hours ago, Frankieboy said:

Sadly I don't have a hand rail, just the square edge of the cabin side that runs and inch or two higher than the roof.

Mine is the same panels are bolted to the top of the square edge, this means that with the curve of the roof the panel sits flat.

Edited by Loddon

20 hours ago, Frankieboy said:

Right, it's decided, I've made some chunky brackets out of aluminium angle and I'm going to bond them to the roof with stixall. At a later date I can always fasten the panels to something heady if the wind looks too bad. Also, I'm going to chain them to the mushroom vent anyway for more security.

I figured if I at least get them on the roof and into operation, I can always fettle a bit as time goes on.

Besides, the wife is going mad, she wants them out of the shower area

Give the bottom of your brackets a key with sandpaper and wipe both mating surfaces with some white spirit to remove dust and any grease before applying the stixall. You can use the same rag with write spirit to clean off any excess stixall before it goes off (usually about 15 hours depending on ambient temp).