will have 14 days until they need to move on. We're again asking anyone
with specific needs or issues to contact their LSO [Licence Support
Officer, ie enforcement officer] and we'll be as sensitive as we can to
issues whilst trying to ensure the sharing of access and adherence to
government guidance.

For boaters within or currently bordering Tier 3 areas, in line with
Government advice to avoid travelling into or out of these areas, we are
advising boaters to boat within their area and we will take this into
account when reviewing movement patterns.

Hopefully this steady approach, which will allow people to move
immediately if they want to on the 2nd, will mean that no facilities are
over-subscribed as movement begins. Of course, we'll be asking boaters
to use common sense and be considerate but hopefully we will have a
similarly successful return to cruising as last time".

I think this is wrong, Tier 3 is pretty severe, even the pubs are closed, so if people see boaters "having fun" they might just be a bit unhappy, though most don't understand how rules apply to boats. I reckon Tier 3 really should be essential movement only.

We have to do quite a big move tomorrow to do a pumpout (all through a Tier 3 region and still just in lockdown )., I hope we don't upset anybody. We are looking forward to a bit of boating but will try to look like we are not enjoying ourselves. ?

.................Dave

I'm looking after number 1

I'm trying to tidy boat and finish all the jobs I started but got fed up with, was just getting ready for my bed, but not tired when I found a bottle of Sauvignon in the woodpile, just doing a taste test, it seems to be cool , but not chilled. 

It's pretty cold outside, so I've put out.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, dmr said:

I think this is wrong, Tier 3 is pretty severe, even the pubs are closed, so if people see boaters "having fun" they might just be a bit unhappy, though most don't understand how rules apply to boats. I reckon Tier 3 really should be essential movement only.

We have to do quite a big move tomorrow to do a pumpout (all through a Tier 3 region and still just in lockdown )., I hope we don't upset anybody. We are looking forward to a bit of boating but will try to look like we are not enjoying ourselves. ?

.................Dave

The legislation applicable from Wednesday was published today.  I can’t see anything in it restrict travel at all.  So whilst there is guidance to avoid traveling in or out of tier 3 there is nothing in law to say that you can not do that.  Similarly there is nothing to stop leisure boaters staying on their boat as far as I can see, even though “canal boat” (it specifically mentions that) hire businesses in tier 3 have to be closed (as with hotels) etc, except for the usual use exceptions.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

165 were arrested over the weekend doing that.

Any chance you could get off her back? You and a couple of others on here are starting to come across as rather nasty spiteful bullies.

We are looking after number 1 too. But that is not something I expect to be arrested for because it doesn't involve breaching any rules or regulations.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

47 minutes ago, dmr said:

.................Dave

I would agree.  I haven't looked at the actual law but the govt guidance says for tier 3.:

• you can continue to travel to venues or amenities which are open, but should aim to reduce the number of journeys you make where possible

• avoid travelling outside of your area, including for overnight stays other than where necessary, such as for work, education, youth services, to receive medical treatment, or because of caring responsibilities.

It seems it may not be against the letter of the law but is certainly against the spirit of the law.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

I would agree.  I haven't looked at the actual law but the govt guidance says for tier 3.:

• you can continue to travel to venues or amenities which are open, but should aim to reduce the number of journeys you make where possible

• avoid travelling outside of your area, including for overnight stays other than where necessary, such as for work, education, youth services, to receive medical treatment, or because of caring responsibilities.

It seems it may not be against the letter of the law but is certainly against the spirit of the law.

To quibble slightly pedantically, it's not against the spirit of the law, it's against the spirit of the guidance. Bit like tax avoidance and evasion.

And, to be honest, if anyone regards any of the advice given by the shower of incompetents handing it out as having any value, I'd be amazed. For a start, what the hell's your area? CRT have been trying to define that for years...

Me, I'll just carry on being pragmatically antisocial. As I talk to myself most of the time as I walk along, due to too many solitary years, most people cross the road when they see me coming anyway. Either that, or they've heard about the trombone.

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

The amount of cars and people out today Christmas shopping given that we are still in ‘full lockdown’ till Wednesday, I don’t think a few boats moving around the canal system is going to draw much attention (providing there’s not more the 6 on the boat) and it is only guidance after all. 

1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

Where is this from, please? The CRT FAQ doesn't seem to have been updated, judging from the two different "Page last updated" entries therein (?).

MP.

It was an I email I received from N.B.T.A.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

What were these people doing?

They were protesting against the lockdown.

Some of them managed to get themselves arrested.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

9 hours ago, Athy said:

What were these people doing?

I've no idea Athy, but I can guess they are the same type who demonstrated bywalking en mass to demonstrate against wearing masks in shops.

The answer is to put them all in a warehouse, and leave them for four weeks to fester, those  that get the disease and need the NHS will be given a respirator, and a body bag.

They will all have to vive their benefit payments back to the taxpayer, if they don't accept one pety rule, they are not entitled to any benefits

Those that don't die will be tagged and sent home, 24 hour curfew until the rest of the Uk is vacinated.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 3

9 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

They were protesting against the lockdown.

Some of them managed to get themselves arrested.

Good. The authorities have apparently been wishy-washy in dealing with such foolish and selfish people, and making an example of them will be beneficial to us all.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Good. The authorities have apparently been wishy-washy in dealing with such foolish and selfish people, and making an example of them will be beneficial to us all.

Absolutely, I can't criticise the authorities to be honest as they are in a no win situation,and why should the police go anywhere near these idiots, who are the type who would spit in their faces? It costs money, diverts resources, and risks the lives of police officers, and colleagues, and their families.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

Anti vaxers, anti maskers and the like should be denied free NHS care if they need NHS care for Covid. Not denied care just charged for it at the going rate. If they require a stint in critical care and survive that should cost them a tidy sum, if they snuff it the cost should pass to the next of kin.

(Of course this will never be implemented).

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Anti vaxers, anti maskers and the like should be denied free NHS care if they need NHS care for Covid. Not denied care just charged for it at the going rate. If they require a stint in critical care and survive that should cost them a tidy sum, if they snuff it the cost should pass to the next of kin.

(Of course this will never be implemented).

No it never will, it's like smokers who continue to smoke even through amputations, it's  just beyond belief. 

CRTs head now revolving the full 360 degrees in less than an hour, from the Foxton locks stoppage:

01/12/2020 10:17

As Foxton Locks sits in a tier 3 area passage is currently only permitted on a booked basis.

Apologies for any confusion caused by the previous update.

Please contact us on 0303 040 4040 or by emailing enquiries.eastmidlands@canalrivertrust.org.uk to arrange passage for essential travel only.

Please note that passage will only be possible Monday to Friday between the hours of 10:00 and 14:00. You must book before 12:00 the working day before you wish to travel through the locks.

You will not be able to book passage on site and must book advance using the contact details above.

We are keeping our response under constant review and may change our position according to latest government advice.

01/12/2020 09:44

Following the lifting of national restrictions Foxton Locks will now operate under normal winter opening hours.

From the 02 December 2020 until 28 March 2021 the flight will be manned from 09:00 until 15:30 with the last boat in at 2:45pm, 7 days a week.