The way forward

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

I noted that it takes 50,000 miles of driving an electric car before the fuel savings outweigh the environment impact caused by the battery production over a normal petrol model assuming it uses green energy. I can't see for a typical leisure narrow boat how it could ever be more environmentally friendly to fit electric propulsion given the limited life of any current battery design  if you include the environmental costs of the battery production and disposal.

14 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

This has been discussed on another thread. While there is some mileage in this argument the sponsors of the research are leading proponents of combustion engines. It would be interesting to study the data from which the conclusions were drawn

Having looked at this I came up with a figure of 40k km  as being the midpoint.

That assumes 146gm/km and 5tonnes extra co2 produced during manufacture of an electric car.

So it takes approx 15tonnes of co2 to make an electric car, that is the equivalent of 120,000km at 146gm/km. That means if I buy an electric car and scrap my yeti it wouldn't be greener until I covered 120,000km. For me that's 10years driving, will I still be driving then?

• Greenie 2

52 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Having looked at this I came up with a figure of 40k km  as being the midpoint.

That assumes 146gm/km and 5tonnes extra co2 produced during manufacture of an electric car.

So it takes approx 15tonnes of co2 to make an electric car, that is the equivalent of 120,000km at 146gm/km. That means if I buy an electric car and scrap my yeti it wouldn't be greener until I covered 120,000km. For me that's 10years driving, will I still be driving then?

If you sold your Yeti though you might be greener? Its a complicated thing which will be made easier when companies start buying just electric cars, it will bring millions of secondhand electric vehicles onto the market at more affordable prices

Scrap all the privately owned hulking great prestige cars and SUV's with stupid great polluting engines that bung up all the roads and car parks with their massive bulk. Small very low emissions 1 litre petrol engined cars would serve the purpose beutifully and hardly pollute until such times in the future they have electric cars right, small, lightweight and all the proper infrastructure ect is properly in place and the price is low enough to be attractive for ordinary folk. 

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 2

25 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The question is will the car still be in service, not who will be driving it.

I suspect it will, after all it will only be 20 years old and will be on about 200k miles. 

My previous car is still in the family at 15 years old and 220k

Skoda reliability.?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Plus you have to add on the cost of new batteries after ? years -that's another 5tonnes. Whereas a petrol car should have a life of 200Km I still don't believe the batteries will last ten years with anything like the original capacity and they will end up being scrapped early because the battery replacement cost is prohibitive.

• Greenie 1

At present we've got rid of most of the huge heavy polluting long haul aircraft. BA have scrapped all their 747's, ony a few Airbus 380's Emerates flying, the rest are all parked up in deserts. Most of the long haul heavies are cargo freight. Most short and medium haul passenger planes are grouded too. The air is so much cleaner, my sinus's are so much better, I can smell poo again.

When I am POTUS (just a matter of a few law suits) I shall legislate that all aircraft capable of housing more than 50 people (including freight aircraft) must have solar panel wings. Then when they are retired to the desert they can be connected together and hooked up to the grid.

7 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

Plus you have to add on the cost of new batteries after ? years -that's another 5tonnes. Whereas a petrol car should have a life of 200Km I still don't believe the batteries will last ten years with anything like the original capacity and they will end up being scrapped early because the battery replacement cost is prohibitive.

Again Tesla have cars with 500k on them already so I suspect that should be a long enough life for batteries 

Change has started, it's well on the way, the ball is big and it's rolling faster each day, the world is changing, world population explosion has been slowing for a while now, global expansion is slowly grinding to a halt, helped along by Covid 19 (more of similar to come I think)

It has to be so if we are to survive. 

ETA: It's the big clean up. 

Edited by nb Innisfree
  • Greenie 1

China is making a real effort. You don't see thousands of mopeds pumping out smoke, but thousands of electric mopeds speeding along totally silent. They have invested heavily in electric city buses, the only diesel ones are long distance intercity coaches. They have solar panels on most street furniture (traffic lights, parking meter points etc) plant millions of trees and flowers, but still have industrial pollution from the factories, they are trying. Compared to other parts of Asia they are well ahead in trying to clean up and grow. Singapore is better at the game though.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Detling said:

China is making a real effort. You don't see thousands of mopeds pumping out smoke, but thousands of electric mopeds speeding along totally silent. They have invested heavily in electric city buses, the only diesel ones are long distance intercity coaches. They have solar panels on most street furniture (traffic lights, parking meter points etc) plant millions of trees and flowers, but still have industrial pollution from the factories, they are trying. Compared to other parts of Asia they are well ahead in trying to clean up and grow. Singapore is better at the game though.

It sounds like they are trying harder than we are.

11 hours ago, nb Innisfree said:

Change has started, it's well on the way, the ball is big and it's rolling faster each day, the world is changing, world population explosion has been slowing for a while now, global expansion is slowly grinding to a halt, helped along by Covid 19 (more of similar to come I think)

It has to be so if we are to survive. 

ETA: It's the big clean up. 

Hows the " Range extender " panning out? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Hows the " Range extender " panning out? 

Great, very pleased with it though we rarely use the extender, just a 10 min maintenance run once a month, ideal for local journy lockdown but gives security if we do a longish trip and battery isn't fully charged, only ever had to use it a couple of times but that was to keep SoC above 30% (I spoil them rotten) 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Detling said:

Carbon neutral target of 2060 for China according to the BBC this morning.

48 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Carbon neutral target of 2060 for China according to the BBC this morning.

I am sure I won't be around by then more than likely along with the rest of the human race 

55 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Great, very pleased with it though we rarely use the extender, just a 10 min maintenance run once a month, ideal for local journy lockdown but gives security if we do a longish trip and battery isn't fully charged, only ever had to use it a couple of times but that was to keep SoC above 30% (I spoil them rotten) 

The daughters Ampera is the same, she can get to work on a full charge and work has free parking and charging for electric vehicles, so she's quids in 

Since this recent lockdown thing began I've noticed on Flightradar24 loads and loads of flights from RAF Brize Norton. These just buzz around willy nilly, most not going anywhere and return to B/N. All big stuff too, Herculese 130, Globe masters, Airbus 330 re-fuelers. I suppose they're just excercizing or pilot training, but never before have I seen so many, there are lots up this morning. Should this be so I wonder in times of a failing economy,  wasting expensive fuel, air polution and all the other expenses flying aircraft of that size entail.

Sorry to be a "harbinger of doom"!.?...But it could already be too late!. ?!..https://www.sciencealert.com/we-just-used-up-all-of-earth-s-resources-for-the-year-and-it-s-only-july

Where are all the resources going to come from for all of these "green" projects?!.?

Maybe we need a REAL pandemic!!? https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/aug/21/human-consumption-of-the-earths-resources-declined-in-2020

2 hours ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Sorry to be a "harbinger of doom"!.?...But it could already be too late!. ?!..https://www.sciencealert.com/we-just-used-up-all-of-earth-s-resources-for-the-year-and-it-s-only-july

Where are all the resources going to come from for all of these "green" projects?!.?

Maybe we need a REAL pandemic!!? https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/aug/21/human-consumption-of-the-earths-resources-declined-in-2020

Not too late, the race is on, 'pandemics' are great for the environment, a few more to manufacture and the tide can be turned. 

• Haha 2