The way forward

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Can't think of a better way of powering a boat. Our boat is unused over the grim winter and if it had a ton of expensive batteries in it I can't imagine they would take kindly to slowly going flat for 3 months or more. Making batteries of any sort is hardly a 'green' activity and recycling them is messy. I have a feeling that boaters will be running their diesel engines on HP sauce or lard if diesel fuel becomes unavailable. I wonder if lifting a manhole and bunging a hose down the sewer would get a compressible source of methane? Off to the shed to make a compressor I think.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bee said:

Can't think of a better way of powering a boat. Our boat is unused over the grim winter and if it had a ton of expensive batteries in it I can't imagine they would take kindly to slowly going flat for 3 months or more. Making batteries of any sort is hardly a 'green' activity and recycling them is messy. I have a feeling that boaters will be running their diesel engines on HP sauce or lard if diesel fuel becomes unavailable. I wonder if lifting a manhole and bunging a hose down the sewer would get a compressible source of methane? Off to the shed to make a compressor I think.

My batteries like to sit at 60% over winter, the only way to achieve that is running them down in the autumn, LifePo4s hardly self discharge at all

10 minutes ago, Bee said:

They can always fire up their diesel generator to charge the battery bank.

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, Bee said:

Or a modified one of these!     https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-42565633

No more dog poo on the towpath,it will become a "commodity"! ?

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I often wonder when the human race will realise that if it is to survive everyday life will need to change in many many ways.

I agree. when we get several billion chinese and others to stop belching fossil fuels out during their growth and when we stop loads of Europeans such as our country men flying all over the world on holiday we have a chance. Until then a few boats is peeing in the wind.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I agree. when we get several billion chinese and others to stop belching fossil fuels out during their growth and when we stop loads of Europeans such as our country men flying all over the world on holiday we have a chance. Until then a few boats is peeing in the wind.

If nobody starts then it will never happen.   If everybody hides behind I'm not doing until he does our GRandchildren will probably not live out their natural lives.

• Greenie 3

16 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

12 minutes ago, Jerra said:

If nobody starts then it will never happen.   If everybody hides behind I'm not doing until he does our GRandchildren will probably not live out their natural lives.

Chinese are producing more electric cars than other countries also wind turbines and solar energy is high on their achievements. You are right Jerra we have to change and it would appear unless a hard line is taken some will use any excuse not to. I will be getting a third grandchild early next year its future is in our hands 

24 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Meanwhile the population continues to rise.............

not my fault, I only added one.

39 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Unfortunately, the proles and hoi polloi doing a little bit here and there will not mattter a jot unless someone in USA/China/India makes massive decisions totally altering their nations economies and futures.

Good Luck Greta.

1 hour ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

It looks VERY green to me!.?

Quite awful, mine is so old its black and white mixed.... could be grey in fact.

but I do have lots of solar.

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Unfortunately, the proles and hoi polloi doing a little bit here and there will not mattter a jot unless someone in USA/China/India makes massive decisions totally altering their nations economies and futures.

Just as every journey begins with a single step every change begins with the few doing what is required.    Unless the human race or more importantly individuals take personal responsibility the race is doomed.   You seem to have missed Peterboats comments about China.

• Greenie 3